Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TUAW essentially describes how to unlock an iPhone for use as a Widescreen iPod + Wifi -- without a contract, and a $49.98 one time fee.

The first step involves faking bad credit by typing in "999-99-9999" as your Social Security number during activation to trigger the GoPhone/"Pick Your Plan" option which allows for contractless pre-pay plans. The cheapest version of "Pick Your Plan" is $49.98 (rate plans).

Then, according to TUAW simply taking out your SIM card allows you iPhone to continue to function as an iPod + Wifi device without any further hassle.

Removed SIM entirely. It complains but works at 6G WiFi iPod. Tried placing call. "No SIM card installed". Failed. Connected to iTunes. Synced without any problems I could detect. WiFi fine.

Presumably, you could then cancel your $49.98 month-to-month and use the iPhone as a Widescreen iPod + Wifi device.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm sure there are people more than willing to pay $649 to get a full screen video ipod with multitouch and wifi internet. The contract has been a killer for some who have minimal mobile phone needs.

arn

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
$600 for a mediocre ipod and wifi. :eek:

Remember that the TCO of iPhone is at least (cheapest rate plan) $2,100 over two years. A discount of $1,500 for not being able to use AT&T's craptacular wireless service -- which is virtually unusable where I live for much of the year -- is a fantastic deal.

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
any one try getting a version of skype working that would be awesome.

wifi phone for the world and ipod.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Most expensive iPod ever. (best Comic book store guy voice)
I wonder if the near-future ipod widescreen touchable will have some sort of wifi built in to share songs kind of like how the zune did it (please dont shoot me for wondering if a zune feature would be included in a future ipod release!!)?
:)

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
iPhone as iPod + Wifi

I think the point of being able to use it for itunes and wifi without having to pay the AT&T rate is what is being missed here. I would consider it if I had wifi at my office.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I'm sure there are people more than willing to pay $649 to get a full screen video ipod with multitouch and wifi internet. The contract has been a killer for some who have minimal mobile phone needs.

arn

Exactly. I saw the iPhone today in person for the first time, and my god that device is unreal. I knew it was a great device, and it was going to blow me away..but it really exceeded my expectations when I saw it. I would be tempted for this, but then again I read somewhere that future software updates on the iPhone would be able to shut this "hack" down. I guess I'll just wait for the new ipod this fall. I would be floored if apple hasn't unleashed anything new by the end of this year. Especially with Mr. Jobs going on record stating that an ipod running os x is in the works, and everytime apple has these "buy a mac, get a free ipod" deal, they always release something new. Patience is a virtue my fellow MR'ers.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Exactly. I saw the iPhone today in person for the first time, and my god that device is unreal. I would be tempted for this, but then again I read somewhere that future software updates on the iPhone would be able to shut this "hack" down. I guess I'll just wait for the new ipod this fall. I would be floored if apple hasn't unleashed anything new this fall.

Right... and another thing that's possible is that the iphone could go back into lock-down mode after a certain period of time without a SIM. Just speculation, but it would make sense.

arn

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
so has anyone actually tried this or is it just speculation? It is too much money for me to want to bother with it, when I could probably wait until the end of the year and get an iPod with fullscreen for less.

smccostlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
San Jose, CA
crazy

if you are one of these people who actually does this to your iphone you are crazy. I think that apple will come out with a widescreen ipod that has touch features soon enough, and there is not need to kill your glorious iphone.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Right... and another thing that's possible is that the iphone could go back into lock-down mode after a certain period of time without a SIM. Just speculation, but it would make sense.

arn
Jeez arn, you're really getting into the iPhone stuff! I don't think I've ever seen you post this much... ever!

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC

arn

At the same time, whoever pulls out a phone-less iPhone's going to look like a complete dork.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007

arn

The way I read it, they never even cancelled the pay as you go plan. So it is entirely possible that after cancelling the plan the device would stop working the next time it was sync'd with iTunes.

Neptunian

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
Malaysia
Hi. I'm from Malaysia. No iPhone over here..... So cruel.... hehe...:) I want one! :mad: Hopefully it will be available in Malaysia early next year (as early as possible).

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005

arn

Why not just wait a few months for the touchscreen iPods to appear? Steve Jobs already let it slip they are working on iPods running OS X.

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
i could see doing this...

i have been loud on these forums bashing the iphone for lack of 3g... im on att already, and i use their 3g network a lot, and am quite happy with it... im not giving up my unlocked htc tytn... yet.....

BUT i would love to have an iphone in my car just for music... my nano is only 4GB anyhow, and the iphone would be a great replacement

one other idea this gives me is as a way that someone on att who wants an iphone now but doesnt want to extend their contract for 2 years more... they could do this hack, then put their existing sim card in the iphone and not pay the $175 fee, or have to extend their contract

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.