Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I'm sure there are people more than willing to pay $649 to get a full screen video ipod with multitouch and wifi internet.
I would want more memory for videos for that kind of dough. The iPod equivalent will be worth the wait. :)

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like this must violate some kind of EULA?

I could see the next software update disabling this hack, and making a bunch of people very angry when their iPhonePod suddenly doesn't work anymore.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
C'mon, now. Isn't this a complete violation of the EULA?

I don't understand how these threads are okay, but any thread wherein someone discusses running OS X on a PC is silenced because of the EULA. Am I missing something?

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Low storage perhaps, but I'd say it's a pretty damn fine ipod.

arn

He didn't say it was a mediocre mp3 player, he said it makes for a mediocre ipod. By that measure (up against other ipods), yes indeed, it IS mediocre, especially considering the price.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Why not just wait a few months for the touchscreen iPods to appear? Steve Jobs already let it slip they are working on iPods running OS X.
Link?

Yes it's inevitable that some of the iPhone technology will trickle down to the iPod, but NO WAY is Steve stealing the iPhone's thunder (and pissing off a lot of customers and partners in the process) by releasing a full-fledged touch-screen iPod anytime soon. At most, you'll get the touch screen and cover flow, but in no way will it have wireless built in or offer anywhere near the software that the iPhone does.

Face it: if you want Safari, email, google maps, and YouTube in the palm of your hand, you're gonna have to fork over for the iPhone. Or wait 2-3 years.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Why not just wait a few months for the touchscreen iPods to appear? Steve Jobs already let it slip they are working on iPods running OS X.

When and where? to date there has been NOTHING on iPods. Frankly I don't expect Apple to release a new touch iPod until next spring for fear it would eat into iPhone sales.

exNavy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Valley of the Sun
I think the point of being able to use it for itunes and wifi without having to pay the AT&T rate is what is being missed here. I would consider it if I had wifi at my office.

I think what's really being missed here is the fact that you have a $600 phone that can't make or receive calls.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Sure. Just give out a fake SSN. That sounds like a terrific idea.

Umm who cares? Its not like they are going to lock you up. And since they don't know who you are without it its not going to hit your credit rating. :rolleyes:

I think what's really being missed here is the fact that you have a $600 phone that can't make or receive calls.

But I thought it was, assuming you drink the Koolaid, an internet communicator first and foremost.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Alex King writes that he just cancelled his monthly AT&T account, and his iPhone still works as an iPod and WiFi device. If you cancel within 3 days, you don't even have to pay the activation fee.

exNavy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Valley of the Sun
Link?

Yes it's inevitable that some of the iPhone technology will trickle down to the iPod, but NO WAY is Steve stealing the iPhone's thunder (and pissing off a lot of customers and partners in the process) by releasing a full-fledged touch-screen iPod anytime soon.

And why not? Any new iPod won't have phone capabilities anyway. A new touchscreen iPod wouldn't cost $600 either I bet.

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Grr.... I was thinking of getting an iPhone until SJ slipped some news on iPods w/ OS X... :eek: Better be out b4 christmas... only thing holding me back from gettin an iPhone is the 8 gb max storage space... which we all know is NOT enough for movies and stuff.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Alex King writes that he just cancelled his monthly AT&T account, and his iPhone still works as an iPod and WiFi device. If you cancel within 3 days, you don't even have to pay the activation fee.

nice... and no pay-as-you-go nonsense. I guess he's the guinea pig.

arn

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Link?

Yes it's inevitable that some of the iPhone technology will trickle down to the iPod, but NO WAY is Steve stealing the iPhone's thunder (and pissing off a lot of customers and partners in the process) by releasing a full-fledged touch-screen iPod anytime soon. At most, you'll get the touch screen and cover flow, but in no way will it have wireless built in or offer anywhere near the software that the iPhone does.

Face it: if you want Safari, email, google maps, and YouTube in the palm of your hand, you're gonna have to fork over for the iPhone. Or wait 2-3 years.

I agree. Most people don't mind carrying around an iPod and a phone, and the main draw of iPhone is its unique features. However, imagine some of the wireless benefits in a standalone iPod. Suppose iPod updates with iTunes wirelessly--we've already seen digital cameras that allow wireless transmission. What if Apple were able to do away with the traditional dock connector and simply use wi-fi or bluetooth to sync to other devices? Wi-fi internet could be used to download songs from the iTunes store directly on the device. Music stores could have kiosks that allow music to be bought and downloaded right in the store.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Well, if you were, say, waiting for your phone contract to run out, this could be useful, since it's more likely that Apple will release software updates instead of redesigning the thing in the near future...

edgarj

macrumors newbie
I would want more memory for videos for that kind of dough. The iPod equivalent will be worth the wait. :)

Yeah.... you should wait for the "just around the corner" iPod with Hi-def, 3D, and true sex-robot functionality (plus lots of realistic accssories to suit your preference). It's comming any day now, ya know. Don't waste your money on this primitive technology.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you cancel the contract, can you ask AT&T to unlock the phone then? I mean it's not like AT&T subsidize the phone in the first place. IMO if you cancel the contract, you should have the right to be give a way to unlock the phone. Am I wrong?

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
C'mon, now. Isn't this a complete violation of the EULA?

I don't understand how these threads are okay, but any thread wherein someone discusses running OS X on a PC is silenced because of the EULA. Am I missing something?

Since when are EULA's enforcable legal documents?
  • You don't sign it (with would be the first requirement for a legal document).
  • You can't refuse it, heck you can't even read it before you "break the seal" and have agreed to it.
  • You can't get you money back if you do "choose to decline it".
EULA's are just corporations' ways of bullying people into using a product in the way they desire, even though they have no legal right to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.