Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sicasaire

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
BAKERSFIELD, CA
I have a honda element and my ipod/iphone plug directly into my car (no fm transmitter)... when i get a call the music fades out so i can answer my phone... i leave it plugged into my car so i can hear the call through my car speakers but i have to hit the speaker phone button so they can hear me better...

*Spitfire*

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2007
I use the harmon kardon ipod system in my car.....through the stereo.. 30 pin connector and it asks if you want airplane mode or not. fades out and everything.. I love it.. I always loved the ease of having the ipod like scroll wheel at my fingertips but now that I can accept calls and everything it's super!

Let me add another recommendation for the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play system (http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/). I leave the iPhone out of Airplane mode, though, so I can receive and initiate phone calls via the Bluetooth connection with the car. This isn't the least expensive device for connecting iPod/iPhones to a car stereo, but, of course, the iPhone isn't the cheapest iPod you could buy either.

[Searching for a song while driving can be hazardous to your health, and to the health of others]

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Those with the Dension Icelink - as the iPhone isn't designed for it's iPod cradle, how do you find it fits? Is it secure/doesn't move above while driving, and a good fit?

macbookProSF

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
think

iPhone works great with my Pioneer D3, aside from having to say NO to airplane mode. Have not noticed any TDMA noise from the phone at all. And yes, the flash is SO MUCH QUICKER than the 30GB iPod it replaced. When I used next/previous it is now instant compared to the lag I get with the HD-based unit.

I have not tried to make a call on the phone yet, but I will try that soon enough. If the audio comes out of the car speakers instead of the iPod I will be shocked/amazed/stunned/joyful?

dude you will not hear TDMA noise on an iphone unless you are not on at&t....

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
I have a BMW with the DICE iPod integration kit, it's an aftermarket solution that connects via the OEM CD changer wiring. It works great with my iPod Mini, but my iPhone - not so much. The DICE unit was designed long before the iPhone came out, so it's not surprising. I may be in the minority, but I'm not overly impressed with the iPhone's ipod functionality. The fact that disk mode is disabled and you're forced to sync by playlist only really stinks.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I have a BMW with the DICE iPod integration kit, it's an aftermarket solution that connects via the OEM CD changer wiring. It works great with my iPod Mini, but my iPhone - not so much. The DICE unit was designed long before the iPhone came out, so it's not surprising. I may be in the minority, but I'm not overly impressed with the iPhone's ipod functionality. The fact that disk mode is disabled and you're forced to sync by playlist only really stinks.

I installed a NEO kit in my BMW, which I understand to be the same as the DICE. It seems to work fine. I have it set to "manual", so I can use the iPod interface on the phone along with the track up/down through the control head and steering wheel. It also has a more integrated mode, where you can select playlists and songs, along with displaying the song name on radio, but currently this disables the iPhone interface. It does bring up the "not compatible" message when connecting. Not a problem, as there is no GSM interference through the BMW amp.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I recently decided I was tired of crappy cassette adpater quality in my Jetta, and bought one of these - the one that connects at the radio. It uses the factory head unit's CD changer controls to integrate the iPod.

Not content with letting the iPod sit there in the change tray, I took a 5G Universal Dock adapter and used a Dremel to route out the slot where the dock's connector would normally slide in. I made the opening large enough to accommodate the Peripheral unit's 30 pin plug, painted it black, and then superglued it all together.

I then went and bought some black vinyl from Hobby Lobby, and a sheet of 1/4 foam core. I used an exacto to cut out a piece of foam core the exact size of the opening over the change tray area in the Jetta, and cut out a hole for the dock adapter/Peripheral cable to fit in. I then covered that in the Black Vinyl, to better match the black leather interior of my Jetta. Finally, I used industrial strength velcro to attach the assembly to the Jetta, that way it wouldn't be permanent.

The great thing is, the whole setup looks awesome, sounds great, and better yet - works with my iPhone!

Here it is:

01.jpg

02.jpg

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006

I'm using the DICE iPod integration kit in my MINI Cooper and believe it is the exact same kit you have (BMW makes MINI's). I had to switch the two small dip switches on the DICE unit off and now I have manual control of my iPhone while it plays through the car stereo. Steering wheel function is there as well. All I am missing is song info displayed on the head unit - but with my iPhone screen mounted right next to the radio I don't need it.

DefCon65

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
I've got an '06 Acura TSX and I put a USA Spec Hon2y interface cable in last year for my iPod. The stereo has an aux jack but the new interface gave me steering wheel control of the iPod. The car also has a bluetooth handsfree system and my iPhone is paired with the system. So now when I get in I plug in my iPhone which gives me full iPod functionality from the wheel and I retain my bluetooth functionality so I have steering wheel mounted phone controls as well. When a call comes in the iPod fades and pauses while I take the call. It turned out to be the cleanest integration I have ever seen and it was never made for the iPhone...............

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Wireless install (I have an iPod in the glove box).
Easy to use Google maps for traffic and great caller id. I answer with my bluetooth ear bud.

It's a pro clip. Very easy to install and solid.

Attachments

• iPhone 560SL.jpg
    iPhone 560SL.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 131
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.