iPhone backing up at every sync

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by *GG*, Jul 11, 2008.

1. *GG* macrumors regular

Is this a new feature of 2.0? Every time I sync my iPhone it does a "backing up" - which takes a while. It used to be if there was one song to add, it did it in a couple of seconds - now it seems to do a "back up" which takes about 10 minutes.

It is very annoying.

Is it anything to do with the fact that I have mobileme (which is not working yet) on the phone?

2. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

same here with iPhone 1.0 very annoying

3. briananderson macrumors member

same here! Does anyone know how to change this? Instead of taking a few seconds to sync, it now takes me 10 min to back up and then sync.

:confused:

4. briananderson macrumors member

I just found that you can change the settings in Preferences, under Syncing:

Uncheck:
    "Disable automatic syncing for all IPhones and IPods"

5. BlueKari macrumors newbie

The syncing isn't the issue for me, by the way you can just change that on the Summary screen ;). That doesn't take forever, the backing up does. Anyone know of a way to just disable the back up?

6. pooryou macrumors 65816

Already have that unchecked. I'm having the same problem, it backs up every time I manually sync, which takes forever.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I canceld it and the sync continued sans back up.

8. chiefillini macrumors regular

Someone has to have an answer to this annoying backup thing. Anyone, someone.....

9. Fenir macrumors regular

any updates on this? Really annoying, takes ~ 15 minutes every sync b/c of backups...

I'm not alone, two of my friends who have 2.0 as well are having this problem.

10. Fenir macrumors regular

Found a temporary workaround:

You can click the X at the right side of the title bar (right to the right where it says backing up (phone name)...

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

But does it still complete the sync and install any apps that where supposed to go onto the iPhone that you may have just purchased and sunk to get it on it?

thx.

Fenir,

I think I am seeing a pattern where it only does this when I install a new app.

same with you?

12. Fenir macrumors regular

Plum: Yes, and Yes...

I think we are on to something. Yes, it does finish the sync (confirmed, installed Shazam)...

And yeah, it seems to be every new app (I have quite the lust for new apps it would appear)...

I'm going to try w/o music and a couple other things right now.

2nd edit: yep...only with new apps...perhaps this could get sent out to help people work around this for the time being...

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

It's almost as if a backup can back up to the orig back up file (phew!) and as long as only little bits of info have been added on the iphone since the last sync, then it can do a brief fast back up.

But when one installs an app, that is too big and the whole 8 gig (for me) back up "image" needs to start from scratch and thus the long slow backup we are seeing.

(I have been adding onsies twosies apps all day and have seen this issue all day too.)

14. Fenir macrumors regular

Most likely in case some app goes haywire, or somehow is a nasty program that bypassed apple testing...kind of like Time Machine...

And it takes a long time im my 4GB, I can't imagine a full 8GB or 16GB

15. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I just noticed the back ups are taking longer, prob. because I have MORE apps now?

Uh oh.

thank goodness you posted the cancel tip for the back up.

MODS: PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING THIS A STICKY

16. mrrydogg macrumors regular

mrrydogg

Yes I have been trying to sync and backup my new 3g iphone for the last 1 hour!! the backups are killing me. Maybe I will do one tonight just to have one. But I don't think its necessary EVERYTIME! Plus, it should be like time machine where it only needs to save any changes that I made.

Man I will be glad when this day is over.

17. pianos101 macrumors regular

Ugh my backups are getting longer and longer too. Probably because of the apps... So that means if i want to sync my phone on my way out the door it will take 5 minutes. great...

18. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Be sure and see Fenir's cancel trick above, you can still sync apps and contacts etc... if you cancel the back up. That's should still let you sync and go.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The backup does not back up your entire phone, but does backup applications and their data. If you install a bunch of apps it will take longer for an initial backup, and after that it depends on what changes in the app's storage location. This morning it took about 20 minutes to do the initial backup but now it takes about 30 seconds. You just have to have the patience to let the backup run all the way through at least once...

20. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Phil,

Go to the app store.
    Download any new free app.
    Sync to your iphone.

Wait...... it is taking a whole lot more time then 30 secs for us. It is the app install and yes it back ups the whole "thing" (whatever that may be) again and it takes a LONG time.

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

what about subsequent backups after the first one following an app install?

22. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I had this backup happen last night. The first one was a huge backup it seemed and took around 10 minutes to complete. I wasn't sure why. I have noticed the Apps do take some time to complete. When I Sync'd mine again afterwords it didn't take no where near as long. It seems as if it is incremental.

23. jambodoug macrumors member

I've got this problem as well, but it wouldn't fully complete a backup - as at the point it tried to transfer the purchase of "super monkey ball" (purchased directly from the phone) - the transfer would hang, thus forcing me to cancel the transfer (and presumably the whole backup) - hence I am in "backup hell" untill this is sorted.

The only way I can see around this is to ditch SMB; then re-purchase through the computer (once iTunes staff refund me of course)!

Anyone else experiencing this for iPhone purchased apps?

24. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I have the same issue also.

This is stupid, How did Apple skip such as noticeable flaw???? It's obvious they don't have a QA department.