iPhone coming to Sprint??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidg4781, Jan 14, 2010.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Ok, I've been giddy all day after hearing this and I'm finally home to post it. My apologies if it's been posted already. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Since late last year, I've had a feeling iPhone would be coming to Sprint after Apple's/AT&T exclusivity agreement ended in 2010. Everything I've read says Verizon, even though the Qualcomm chips would work on Sprint also.

Well, today, I called up Sprint asking when a phone on my account will be available for an upgrade. She said at the beginning of June, and just to see what would happen, I asked if that's when the iPhone should be launching. She replied they don't have any specific time frame, but it should be around then.

This is some exciting stuff! I didn't want to leave Sprint because I get 25% off my bill, and it's been killing me that all my friends have iPhones while I'm stuck with a boring BlackBerry Curve.

Hopefully I will be very happy in a few months. I've been saving my upgrade for about a year just for this.

2. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    not to burst your bubble but:
    you were talking to a customer service at sprint? :p

3. rotlex macrumors 6502a

LOL, while this is too true, and I highly, highly, doubt it will ever come to Sprint, I must say, if it did, I'd switch back in a heart beat. I had Sprint for nearly 7 years before moving to ATT just for the iPhone. The service was 10 fold better than I have now, there data network was MUCH more reliable, and faster, and their plans, especially there everything plans, cannot be beat.

I always wondered why Sprint gets so beat up on by everyone. Maybe it's just the area I live in, but I have never had better service than I did with Sprint.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

A customer service rep wouldn't know one way or the other.

5. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

You talked to a nice girl who doesn't like to disappoint customers. Or, a girl who doesn't like to admit that she doesn't know something.

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Why are u guys bashing this guy?? It is totally possible. Think about it.. If the exclusive agreement with at&t is up why would apple only take it to one other company?? That would be stuidest business decision. Especially if their going to make a device that runs on those frequencies, why not open up to all the other carriers that run on that frequency as well. That would make apple more money. If they was to build an iphone for CDMA. That would not only offer it to Verizon customers, but also sprint customers (it may lack 4g), alltell, cellular south, cricket, and all these other small cell phone providers across the U.S. on top of that also launching it on T-mobile. So i have to say the iPhone launching on sprint is very possible. Only if they launch a CDMA version iPhone.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

They aren't beating him up over thinking that Sprint *might* get the iPhone, but rather that a lowly front-line customer service girl would be entrusted with that information and the rest of the world wouldn't know it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

+1

I used to pay $20/month for 500 mins and unlimited data with a Treo Pro on Sprint and switched to AT&T for the iPhone. Sprint service was incredible in the DC area. I don't regret switching for the iPhone, but I sure do miss Sprint's network.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

To be fair to the girl, she is right; that's just about the time the new iPhone will be launching on AT&T. The way you worded it doesn't specify a launch on Sprint; I probably would have answered you the same way if you'd asked me that question, even though I have no insider info and highly doubt the iPhone will come to Sprint.

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

While there's no way a front line customer service representative would know, I believe the iPhone would go to Sprint before it went to Verizon.

-Sprint's CDMA network is amazing, second only to Verizon. Also Sprint has an agreement with Verizon so if for some reason you don't get a Sprint signal and there's a Verizon tower you can use then you'll roam on Verizon for free.

-Sprint's customer service took a beating but they worked hard the past couple of years and the results are starting to show. I have a few Sprint phones at work I have to help people with and my experience with their care team has been great.

-Sprint is cheap, cheap, cheap. For $69.99 a month you get 450 minutes, nights that start at 7pm, unlimited calling to or from anyone in America with a cell phone regardless of what network they're on, unlimited data (or 5G whatever), unlimited text, NFL, Navigation, TV, Radio and a few other perks. If you do your homework you can easily get yourself that plan + 50 more minutes for $59.99 a month.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sprint is dieing slowly and it's the number one network in losing subscribers each quarter.
    I'm sure Apple would be thrilled to be on their ship while it's sinking.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lol sorry dude I highly doubt a sprint customer service rep would know this information without you seeing a million leaks and speculative articles like the ones for Verizon. Furthermore I'm sure Apple doesnt want another mess like they had to endure with AT&T and all the network issues. Sprint may have a really good, fast data network but it will probably get flooded with the release of an iphone. If they do decide to go CDMA I'm sure it will be Verizon.

13. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

What does it matter if Sprint is "sinking," as you say. If Apple were to sell phones to half of the subscribers, it's money in their pocket. If Sprint were to collapse, they'll just lose the money they would have made had they not collapsed, nothing more. I'm sure this will bring a lot of Sprint people back. I know a lot that have left Sprint for the iPhone. I also know a lot that are unhappy with Sprint because of the phone selection, but will not leave because the plans are so good.

And for the rest of y'all. I know it was just a customer service clerk, and I know there's not much on the internet about Sprint and iPhone, but why not use some common sense? If Apple's making an iPhone that will run on Verizon, all they'd have to do is pass Sprint's inspection and flip a setting over from Verizon to Sprint.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

14. m0dern macrumors newbie

I guess we'll have to wait till June/July and see. I got a friend that works at corporate Apple and he said "we're working on a 4g Wimax phone for Sprint and should be released around June/July". Now, I don't believe him one bit so we made a huge bet. We'll see who's the loser.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You got it! She IS right.

She told him 2 things:
    - His Sprint contract runs out in June.
    - The new iPhone will most likely come out "around then."

Both of those are totally true facts.

16. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Because you need to get a higher minute plan since your free m2m minutes will take a drop

Apple can't even sell half of the at&t subscribers on iPhones and now you think they will be able to do that with sprint? Especially considering sprint subscribers are there because the plans are so cheap aka they are cheap.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What else would Sprint or any other company tell their customers that want to leave for the iPhone?
    Just bs them and string them along just like Verizon reps have been doing for years.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't know what point you're trying to make by saying it's second only to Verizon's; Sprint is the only other nation-wide CDMA network operator. That's like saying T-Mo's GSM coverage in the US is second only to AT&T's; of course it is: there's no competition for second!

And Sprint is a distant second to Verizon. You should take a look at Sprint's home network map sometime; if you thought AT&T's 3G map was bad... The only reason most Sprint users have coverage outside of major cities and interstate highways is because of their interoperability with Verizon.

20. FloWithIt macrumors newbie

FloWithIt

Hes Not Lying

My buddy works for sprint in their corporate division in virginia and i can only say a couple things the iphone is coming to sprint and verizon also talks have been in place for vodafone(owners of Verizon) to buy sprint nextel one of the agreements that apple has with sprint is their exclusitivity with palm they did not renew that contract because sprint has already started rolling out their
    4G network apple is currently testing on sprints network u will find out more very soon !!!!!!!!

21. icyfire macrumors 6502

well if the iPhone comes out on Verizon, it would be possible to get it onto Sprint if you could convince them to add the ESN to their database.

22. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Like on the 27th? :D

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

.aggie was right.

Oh gawd.

24. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Are you "Oh gawd"ing the all too common "friend of a friend" story or the longest run-on sentence in MR history??

Either way, :D.

25. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

HAHAHAHAHA sorry. I can't really ever see that happening. Just my opinion. I think Sprint is terrible.