iPhone Dev Team backup plan almost ready (4.2.1)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PsstGreek, Dec 21, 2010.

1. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's pretty cool that they are going to release it, it's going to be crazy confusing and endless threads about it, but good and easy for those who got access to those SHSHs :D

3. PsstGreek thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep. I'm just waiting for their new version of PwnageTool. Not that I care about the unlock since I'm on AT&T but it's nice to have the option to unlock my iPhone when I sell it to get the new one.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here. It's good to have the option to unlock it or sell it unlocked down the road.
    Great news.

5. derek420 macrumors member

You know..I never thought about that...Lol

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah I used to do that, but after owning all iPhones since the original I found out that I always end up passing my iPhone away, either to my significan other at the moment, my brother or Family, My mom is rocking my original iPhone right now (I got it replace for a spanking new one since the screen broke 12 months and 2 weeks after i got it, AppleCare was out for 2 weeks but the genius was nice about it) =)

7. PsstGreek thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Exactly. Most people I know have their iPhone's on T-Mobile.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You lucky:D

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Tell me about it, luckiest ever, I replaced it on Mississippi, I was lucky that the manager went to the same school as me back in Florida, The fact that "it Broke" when i was ...let's say intoxicated in New Orleans... I also end up dating his sister for about couple of months...overall a win win for me :cool:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    What perk was better the replacement iphone or his sister though?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well, let put it this way....I still have the iPhone :D:D:D

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ there are also allot of apps in Cydia that still need updated. my guess is allot of Cydia Dev have been waiting for the untethered jb allot has been done but I think once the tethered jb comes out. We will see allot more support of 4.2.1. but being able to sell a jb/ul phone is always priceless. :D:D

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Does it make a difference if i only have 4.2.1 shsh in cydia? Or i MUST have the beta 3?

14. PsstGreek thread starter macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You need 4.2.1b3 (pretty sure)

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL, and here we go!...... ;)

For "this" JB, and only this one (the one that is being call "the backup plan", demoed a couple of weeks back by musclenerd) you need 4.2b3 SHSHs. (however it seen to be "about" to be release, but due to jailbreaking history anything can happen on the last few hours before release, so until it is final and public, noting is for sure)

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If past is prologue, we are about due for geohot, or some other malcontent, to crawl out from whatever rock they are now under to try and screw things up.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any day now probably:D

18. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

19. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While it's still a little early to know for sure, since this one is called the "backup plan", is the 4.2.1 JB going to be similar to the 4.1 JB where limera1n came out first, then greenpois0n came out a little while later? Wasn't sure if there was going to be one JB for all mankind on 4.2.1 or if another was one in tow as well? Any thoughts?

20. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

My apologies if this is stupid Q but is "this" jailbreak only for (as of now) 4.2b3 or if it is for 4.2.1 it needs needs 4.2b3 SSH blobs saved?

If this is true,

I guess it will be pointless for many! How many have 4.2b3 SSH blobs saved?

If this is wrong,

Can someone explain me what exactly is "backup plan" etc etc

21. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

What I want to know as well...I have my 4.2b3 blobs, but my GF won't. Is she out of luck for a untethered 4.2.1 jb?

22. maturola, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes it is TRUE

No it is not pointless, a LOT of people have those SHSHs.

It is the Backup Plan, because it is a complicated and somehow limited, since it is only for a limited population that got those SHSHs (that by the way, it was POSTED all over the place, right before 4.2.1 release to save those SHSH because they could be need). It is "backup" because Comex is working on another JB that it will no required those SHSHs and it will work for everyone.

She is NOT out of luck, she just have to wait a bit longer

23. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm a bit concerned about "those with access to the 4.2b3 IPSW". I have my SHSH blobs for 4.2b3 saved on Cydia, but I don't have access to the IPSW file for it (not being a registered developer and all). Surprisingly I couldn't seem to find any torrents for it either.

24. maturola, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Again wait for the release.... an actual downgrade is NOT required, just the SHSH, the JB doesn't use the actual 4.2b3 firmware, it just use its kernel. (again, anything can change at release, but the version i got my hands on did no required a downgrade)

edit: as a side note, if the IPWS is required, believe me it will easier to find that a pic of Lindsay lohan lady friend!

25. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Yeah, stupid me, I re-read what the dev-team posted, and saw about how the actual release was expected from comex around the 24th or so. Not much more time to wait then. I'm looking forward to free "find my iPhone" and to tinker with AirPlay a bit (mostly using the utilities that Erica Sadun has come out with, since I don't really have any other AirPlay compatible devices).