iPhone dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FX4568, May 18, 2011.

1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone... I have followed the iPhone since the iPhone 1, but as time passes by, I am beginning to question few things about apple

Let us take first a neutral standpoint.
    Let's say both used the same OS.
    Technically speaking, and honestly speaking; would not the samsung galaxy S2, or anything else would be a better buy?
    I mean, I am by no means the brain behind all tech devices, but I know something.
    1080p, super amoled plus, NFC, Dual processors, HSPA 21+ speeds, wouldnt the Samsung be a clear choice?
    But then again, the iOS has killed all OS's and it is something that must not be factored out. Also, android market is clearly behind Apple's, but it is catching up. Quickly.
    I have used the Galaxy S for 4 months, which I just sold for moving purposes, and it definitely is an amazing phone if it had a better touch interface, higher voice quality, and market.
    So I know I will buy a phone in sept 2011 (when school starts), but in the period of 4 months, the Android market, the Samsung UI with touch interface might at least catch up to Apple's with Gingerbread upgrades, and a improvement in less fragmentation.
    So theoretically speaking, if this continues, and only a "iphone 5" is released with minor cosmetic, an A5, 8mp with 720p, wouldnt it be better to go off with a samsung?

So unless we see a huge revamp in the WWDC on iOS 5, with an all cosmetic upgrade with major changes (except 4g), and perhaps NFC, what is the motivation for apple fans like us to continue using Apple's phone except from loyalty?

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

There are Pros and Cons to both Apple and Android phones. To me, I personally like the iOS interface better. The android may be flashy, and more customizable, but the iPhone is simple and works well.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

From a specs perspective, yes, the Samsung would probably be the better pick. But iPhone is iPhone and let's face it, many people will buy it simply because it's an iPhone and not look at specs. Most phone users don't look at specs because many are not tech savvy.

4. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I wish that everytime talk of the "Golden" Samsung Galaxy S2 came up on the forums the thread would immediately be purged. I'm sick of all these comparison threads. If the SGS2 is so superior then just buy it and be done with it! :rolleyes:

5. saving107, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

6. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

You are not the only one. According to this pool 76% of the members agree:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1153102&page=1

7. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that is so ignorant...
    Hey lets buy an iphone because its an iphone.
    That is totally smart... The comparisons of galaxy s2 and iphone without any depth are the useless ones, but when we actually try to sort out what apple fails on and succeeds on, are the threads that are useful.

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I see what you did there.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You can assume all you want, but the fact is that they do not use the same OS. iOS is a big selling point for the iPhone because the two work together very well. the iPhone 4, on its 'old' hardware is still competing with brand new androids because the OS is optimized for the device and so it runs very smoothly.

Many people, myself included, wouldn't use half the features of the SGS2. I barely use all the features of my iPhone, I have it for texting, games, and browsing. Sure I'd like a bigger screen, but why repurchase all my apps on the android market if I could simply buy a new iPhone

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Didn't say it was smart. I'm saying that people will do it. :rolleyes:

11. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Idk what happened to other posts... they kinda got deleted .___.
    Well, it wasnt a feedback, more like a idk useless comment?
    But yeah, lets pretend we are all tech savvy, and we all knew about the specs.

Wouldnt the iphone win only in software? Like unless they come up with a new hardware, why would anyone that does not care about software buy an iphone?

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Feeding the bridge dweller, I'm aware.

Because some of us LIKE the iPhone. We like seamless integration with other iOS devices and OSX software, like iTunes and Garage Band. We like the Remote app. We like the feel of the hardware. We like the option of a white phone. We like the size. We like the camera app. We like the OS. We like the Apple stores. We like Apple's customer support.

If you are so damn interested in another phone, then buy it and bugger off.

13. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really love the iphone too! I convince all kinds of people to buy it :p
    But anyways, I am sorry I like to get the most worth of my money.
    I dont understand why people like you get so offended by questions that just ask for simple reasoning. I mean, what you are saying is personal preference. Although it is respectable that you like the iPhone by personal preference, what is the logic behind it?
    To be honest, I will probably end up buying the iphone 5, but sometimes we need to look at the other spectrum.
    Not only in technology, but in our lives :)

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Considering I listed a dozen reasons in my post, I suggest you read it again. Apparently you didn't the first time. :rolleyes:

15. Reach9, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed.
    Though i couldn't care less about some of your points.

It's not specifically about specs OP.
    What you're saying is similar to the Mac vs PC discussion.

I bought my MBP 13", it was my first Mac and i made the switch. For the same price of a 13" MBP, i would've got a much better spec'd PC laptop (with more storage, more RAM, more ports, etc.) . The question then would be, why would I pick Mac? Simple, it's the Operating System and quality of the product. And the same goes for iOS vs Android too.

I have too many apps which sync to and from my Mac to my iPhone, as Alaerian pointed out.

iOS is just the simple way of using a smartphone, imo. I used an EVO for a week thanks to my friend, and i got to understand why people like the Android. But it isn't for me. When i went back to my iPhone i felt relieved, i felt as though "yes this is how a smartphone should function". Although, iOS could use a big revamp now, it needs a notification system and UI change badly.

If the EVO or Galaxy S2 used iOS, then i would've jumped ship long time ago.

16. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

You like itunes. Personal preference
    You like remote app. Personal preference
    You like the feel. Lol... the feel? Theres 100% logic behind that right?
    White phone. Cause color is logic right?
    Camera app. Cause thats totally not personal preference right?
    You like the size. Thats not personal opinion either of course.
    You like the OS. Not personal either. Right?
    Apple stores? Totally logical. cause apple stores makes me wanna buy the iphone.

Apparently, you dont know what personal opinion and fact is.
    Let me teach you:
    A personal opinion is your own thought about something
    A fact is a thing that is indisputably the case.

Education, my friend, is key.

17. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah my point right there. hardware wise, apple is failing. The only note-worthy thing is the software, and my point was that apple needs to catch up.

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You said that "personal preference is not logic." ... and that makes absolutely no sense at all. What on earth are you talking about?

Find me the Apple Remote app in the Android store. Right now. Go ahead, I'll wait.
    Oh, also show me the seamless integration between an Android and iTunes.
    And while you're at it, show me how I can import custom ringtones into an Android from Garage Band.
    Oh, and show me an Android phone that I can get in white from the manufacturer.

That isn't personal preference. Those are sound, specific reasons as to why -I- like my device over another. Many other people share the same exact view.

Your response above makes absolutely no sense. I really can't even formulate anything to say because it's so laughably stupid.

19. macDelirium macrumors member

Buy what you want. There is no dilemma. No Highlanderism required.

and Unless you're a shareholder of Samsung or Google - what's in it for you in spouting off about Droid?

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

They're clearly not failing. But you're right, hardware wise it'd be nice for them to step it up. Which i hope to see for the iPhone 5. Software wise, they do need to catch up in a few aspects like the notification system. I think we'll have a better grasp of this issue after WWDC and after the iPhone 5 is released.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you view this. Apple has created a huge name for themselves, because their products work and therefore people will still buy them regardless.

I get a better experience with iOS, that's why i'm sticking with the iPhone, but as i mentioned before i have a list of things that needs change with iOS as well.

21. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

1) http://www.androidcentral.com/android-have-itunes-remote-app
    2) Uhm... It takes the same amount of clicks to import music from folder to itunes than folder to phone...
    3) Actually in android you can cut mp3 files in order to make custom ringtones, so you dont even need to import things :)
    4) htc wildfire white

Uhm... before making questions, google them. they will save you from embarrassments

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I love the only 2 comments there. :rolleyes:

Anyway FX4568, it's personal preference at the end of the day.
    I have friends who have Android phones and iPhones. We have no issues with each other, we all like different things.
    I understand where lots of hate for Apple is coming from. Everyone hates the guy who is so successful.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Good job posting a link from 2008. Oh, and here's the first and only comment:
    Go find me the official Apple Remote app in the Android market. I'll wait.

I don't care about "clicks." I care about seamless integration with iTunes, where I have all my playlists, play counts, ratings, etc. I wasn't aware that "folders" did those things. Oh wait, they don't.

Can you audio edit in Android? Fade in and out? Splice in another file to create a ringtone out of multiple things? That's a negative.

One white HTC. I'll give you that one as a free point.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and save yourself from embarassments also. :rolleyes:

24. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha alright,

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/5-nifty-remote-apps/ Come on, if in 2008 they were thinking of that, do you think in 2011 they wont have it?

Man, i didnt know you needed ratings and play counts... Wait... the iOS doesnt even show your play counts :) Actually... you can change your folders to playlist so android just exports them as playlists...

Dude, do you realize that you are comparing a full fledge software program versus a Phone program?
    Also, you could simply drag and drop the garage band file to your android... you make it sound like theres a giant process involved in it.

Side question, have you ever used an android?
    Also, you think I am an android fan, but I am not hahahah.
    :rolleyes: Again, experience and google will take you very. very... far.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The main reason one would probably go with iOS is because of apps and apple ecosystem (mobileme, itunes, etc). Yes, the specs are better on the GSII.