Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In May, we reported that iPhone browser signature has been seen in the wild, including here at MacRumors.com.

It appears the mobile browser has seen ongoing updates since that time, and has since graduated from mobile version "1A538a" to "1A543a". Small steady improvements are, of course, expected... but after we discovered this new mobile version, a Google search brings up this cached page where the iPhone was benchmarked using a mobile download benchmarking tool at BroadbandReports.com.

How'd the iPhone do? 157K/second (1262 kbps) to download a 1024 kilobyte file.
1262kbps 0.223s (1024k) apple.com Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3
The iPhone gave up an apple.com domain address, so it was apparently on Apple's local Wifi network, rather than AT&T's cellular network. All in all, not much additional information as download speeds are affected by a number of different factors... but does show more iPhone footprints around the web.

Attachments

• iphonebench.png
    iphonebench.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 8,844

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
The iPhone gave up an apple.com domain address, so it was apparently on Apple's local Wifi network, rather than AT&T's cellular network. All and all, not much additional information, but more iPhone footprints around the web.

Key info here, folks! Don't expect these speeds on your EDGE service.

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
That's not too bad of a speed. We aren't at the technology level of transferring at T1 yet. Give :apple: a year or two;)

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
That doesn't sound too bad for such a small device. I wonder how it compares over the network rather than wifi, though.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
So... will it be able to link in to your home WiFi network (when close enough)?

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
That doesn't sound too bad for such a small device. I wonder how it compares over the network rather than wifi, though.

Eh, my old Dell Axim would get better speeds over wifi back when I was in college. I don't think this is the max speed this device can get, but rather what speed it can get on that network.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So... will it be able to link in to your home WiFi network (when close enough)?

yes, it should seemlessly switch from AT&T'd Edge to local Wifi when available.

arn

Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Could be an iPhone emulator running on a Mac. Such a setup is commonly used to develop the software for a device when the hardware hasn't yet reached mass production.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Will I be able to post on macrumors (or any other forums) using an iPhone? Serious question.

Yes, you will. After all, this is not a watered-down version of the Internet. Or the ‘mobile’ version of the Internet. Or the ‘kinda sorta looks like the Internet’ Internet. It’s just… the Internet.
:D

(and even if it was the mobile version of the internet, there's a mobile internet version of Macrumors)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Numbers realy don't mean a lot.It depends on the server you're connected to.The IP you are going to and the servers running the website.

I have a 12MB Cable modem that goes from 200K to 9MB depending on the site I'm at.

Of course EDGE will be slower but we know that..

This week-end is creeping by......

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
This week-end is creeping by......

Right about that... Looking forward to a WWDC Rumors 'round-up' tomorrow.

:apple: has been 'busy' lately in the media and in the meantime ... I've lost track of what is 'real' and what is 'rumor'. Is ZFS real... SUN said it, but that's enough for SJ to do a reversal on them. Though he is probably so busy tracking down who leaked the att iPhone training manual :yawn:

So what is it 19 days until I'm huddled outside the at&t store waiting for them to open?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.