Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently launched a feature that allows residents of participating U.S. states to add their driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app on the iPhone and Apple Watch, providing a convenient and contactless way to display proof of identity or age.

wallet-id-in-apps-ios-16-uber.jpg

Starting with iOS 16, users will be able to present ID cards stored in the Wallet app in select apps that require identity or age verification. For example, Apple showed Uber Eats and Turo as two apps that could choose to accept IDs from the Wallet app, but it remains to be seen exactly which apps decide to implement the functionality.

Apple said users will be able to simply tap a button to seamlessly present their driver's license or state ID information in supported apps that require identity or age verification. Apple will provide users with an overview of information being collected by the app, and indicate if the data will be stored, and for how long. The user will be required to authorize with Face ID or Touch ID in order for the ID card to be presented to the app.

ios-16-wallet-ids-in-app-turo.jpg

Developers will be able to add support for Wallet IDs to their apps by using a special entitlement that is part of the PassKit framework.

Arizona and Maryland are the first two U.S. states that let residents add their driver's licenses or state ID to the Wallet app. Apple said additional states are committed to supporting the feature, including Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio, Georgia, Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Utah, as well as the territory of Puerto Rico.

Note that some states like Florida and Louisiana offer iPhone driver's licenses through their own apps, separate from this Wallet feature.

To add an ID to the Wallet app, users simply tap the "+" button in the top-right corner of the Wallet app and follow the on-screen instructions. The feature requires an iPhone 8 or later running iOS 15.4 or later, or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later running watchOS 8.4 or later. So far, the feature remains available in the U.S. only.

In addition to use in apps, the Wallet IDs are also accepted at select TSA checkpoints in select airports, as indicated on signage.

iOS 16 is currently in beta and will be released to all users in the fall.

Article Link: iPhone Driver's Licenses Will Be Accepted in Apps on iOS 16

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I assume Apple notifies the state you added a physical license. I bet they only let you have one ID active at a time.

• Disagree
Reactions: FindingAvalon

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
It will, but the phone only stays locked as long as the officer doesn't show you your phone.
If you're handing your phone to the police, generally it's advisable to temporarily disable Face ID. (Bringing up the power off screen is enough to require a passcode on the next unlock, though a full power off or reboot will also secure files on disk.) Authenticating to bring up Wallet is going to reenable Face ID (and unlock the disk, if it wasn't already), so indeed not the best idea.

Reactions: Sikh

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Hand my unlocked phone to a police officer? Pass.
I guess that is not what is going to happen, at least is not what happen with the TSA. I supposed it will be the same thing for the Police

They send request to your iPhone about the information they need and using Face ID you decide to share it or not. You need to tap or get close to the device they are using… something like that. Check MVA website at Maryland

Reactions: xpxp2002

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
This article is about using the digital ID to verify age/identity in an app.

Currently, at least in Maryland, the digital ID can't be used for identity during a traffic stop, etc. If it ever does happen, it will be similar to Apple Pay where the data is sent to a reader via NFC. There is nothing to see on the user's phone itself.

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
LOL, this. Everytime the digital wallet is brought up. If you don't want it then don't utilize it. But just so you know, you won't be passing an unlocked phone to an officer. You would use it in the same way you scan your digital airline ticket at the airport, or use your credit card at the store. The NFC can be used to transfer the license data to whoever is needing it, without passing any device over. At least that's how I understand it.

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
LOL, this. Everytime the digital wallet is brought up. If you don't want it then don't utilize it. But just so you know, you won't be passing an unlocked phone to an officer. You would use it in the same way you scan your digital airline ticket at the airport, or use your credit card at the store. The NFC can be used to transfer the license data to whoever is needing it, without passing any device over. At least that's how I understand it.
I would have thought my saying the word "pass" would have been an indication that I don't plan to utilize it. Guess I was wrong. 🤷‍♂️

I live in Georgia and I can guarantee you that the police here will find some way to abuse this. And I say this as someone that used to work in law enforcement. But if others want to use it then be my guest.

They're not allowed to go through and search your phone without a search warrant or without a signed legal judge court order. If you find them, they are going through your phone and stuff you can sue the department. It all comes down to privacy rights.

When I worked at a police department a search order was needed/required in order for the officers and detectives to go through your phone. It’s not that easy.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
And yet you don’t read other comments on the subject.

I absolutely did read every comment prior to mine as well as the entire article, don't assume.

You mean the other comments where other members spout a bunch of "facts" and then finish their post with "at least that's how I understand it" which in English means "I don't really know how it works but I'm going to tell you anyway".

All an officer would have to do is turn your phone towards you as they walk away and your phone is now open, for faceID anyway.

Furthermore... completely outside of LE I have no desire to have my ID in my phone. What apps need age verification that you haven't already provided in setting up your account? Apple already nixes adult content so I struggle for a use case for this. App devs always find exploits, I don't care for them to have any more info on me than I am forced to give them.

Last edited:

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
Come onnnn California, hurry up and support digital IDs. I know it probably causes cancer, but just slap a warning sticker on it like everything else and let us have it.

Reactions: iOS Geek

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
They're not allowed to through and search your phone without a search warrant or with a signed legal judge order. If you find them, they are going through your phone and stuff you can sue the department. It all comes down to privacy rights.

Wrong, if you hand them an unlocked phone they can look at anything they want.

Same principle as an officer asks to enter your house on a noise complaint and you say "sure officer you can come in" but just as you say that you realize you left your bong out.... busted.

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
In Florida's digital ID wallet, a specialized QR code is presented to the officer who is supposed to scan it without the phone leaving your hand. But yes, the phone does have to be unlocked for this to happen. I agree, there's needs to be a locked solution.

Reactions: xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.