Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Currently I only use Apple Pay to pay within apps or websites, not for real-life payments I can easily swipe my card for. This can be useful for similar reasons, plus a lot of added security not having to give out my entire card just to prove age (though idk what apps need that).

Last edited:

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
They're not allowed to go through and search your phone without a search warrant or without a signed legal judge court order. If you find them, they are going through your phone and stuff you can sue the department. It all comes down to privacy rights.

When I worked at a police department a search order was needed/required in order for the officers and detectives to go through your phone. It’s not that easy.
Wait. You mean to tell me that some guy who works for the government has to give permission to some other guys (who happen to have unlimited funding, protections, resources, and force) who work for the same government before they can search you? Right… 👍🏻

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
They're not allowed to go through and search your phone without a search warrant or without a signed legal judge court order. If you find them, they are going through your phone and stuff you can sue the department. It all comes down to privacy rights.

When I worked at a police department a search order was needed/required in order for the officers and detectives to go through your phone. It’s not that easy.
You've seen the internet, right? More video examples of cops violating constitutional rights than you can count. If you're lucky, they just illegally search you and your phone. If you're not lucky, well...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why would Uber Eats need my ID ???
You’re missing the context.

‘Uber eats’ is a delivery service, which one would require to have a valid drivers license and vehicle insurance to be a courier for Uber, Lyft, etc.

The other graphic displayed on the front page headline is also a company called ‘Turo’, [which is a rental car company], which one would also have to provide documentation of insurance (Or purchase insurance through the app) and a valid drivers license to operate the rented vehicle.

The idea is, all your information can be validated through your phone -versus- having to provide photos of your drivers license/insurance, etc.

Reactions: Qtrfoil

Qtrfoil

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2022
If you're handing your phone to the police, generally it's advisable to temporarily disable Face ID. (Bringing up the power off screen is enough to require a passcode on the next unlock, though a full power off or reboot will also secure files on disk.) Authenticating to bring up Wallet is going to reenable Face ID (and unlock the disk, if it wasn't already), so indeed not the best idea.
I'm not planning on giving up my phone either, and I am also ready to say "I do not consent to a search in any form. Am I being detained? If so, lawyer."

Reactions: Scoob Redux

Qtrfoil

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2022
You’re missing the context.

‘Uber eats’ is a delivery service, which one would require to have a valid drivers license and vehicle insurance to be a courier for Uber, Lyft, etc.

The other graphic displayed on the front page headline is also a company called ‘Turo’, [which is a rental car company], which one would also have to provide documentation of insurance (Or purchase insurance through the app) and a valid drivers license to operate the rented vehicle.

The idea is, all your information can be validated through your phone -versus- having to provide photos of your drivers license/insurance, etc.
My printable insurance card expires every 3 months, though once at a traffic stop the officer didn't have much of a problem with a relatively recent card. I'll use it at rental counters, I'm not giving it to the police.

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
If you're handing your phone to the police, generally it's advisable to temporarily disable Face ID. (Bringing up the power off screen is enough to require a passcode on the next unlock, though a full power off or reboot will also secure files on disk.) Authenticating to bring up Wallet is going to reenable Face ID (and unlock the disk, if it wasn't already), so indeed not the best idea.
Just enable wallet access to Lock Screen when locked. No need for all that jazz.

MidtownAtlCoffe

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
In Florida's digital ID wallet, a specialized QR code is presented to the officer who is supposed to scan it without the phone leaving your hand. But yes, the phone does have to be unlocked for this to happen. I agree, there's needs to be a locked solution.
If it's in wallet it won't need to be unlocked. You never have to unlock to access anything in wallet (boarding passes, vax cards, etc).

Reactions: minivini

minivini

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Hand my unlocked phone to a police officer? Pass.
Are you aware that you can also just keep your license in the car for such interactions? It’s not an either/or scenario. Seems like common sense…

minivini

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I wish the ability to add my license wasn’t tied to my state adopting the practice officially. I want to add mine for the occasions when I’m “carded” and don’t want to pull out my physical wallet. Most places would accept a digital version since it’s obvious I’m over twice the legal age to purchase alcohol 🙄

Having credit and atm cards data stolen multiple times will make a person reluctant to hand over any physical data store.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I absolutely did read every comment prior to mine as well as the entire article, don't assume.

You mean the other comments where other members spout a bunch of "facts" and then finish their post with "at least that's how I understand it" which in English means "I don't really know how it works but I'm going to tell you anyway".

All an officer would have to do is turn your phone towards you as they walk away and your phone is now open, for faceID anyway.

Furthermore... completely outside of LE I have no desire to have my ID in my phone. What apps need age verification that you haven't already provided in setting up your account? Apple already nixes adult content so I struggle for a use case for this. App devs always find exploits, I don't care for them to have any more info on me than I am forced to give them.
Yeah and well, I am an ******* and don't deal well with attempts at authority. I would contact the DA and start pressing illegal search and seizure. I also disable faceid as soon as I am getting pulled over so no, tough luck pig you are not unlocking my phone.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah and well, I am an ******* and don't deal well with attempts at authority. I would contact the DA and start pressing illegal search and seizure. I also disable faceid as soon as I am getting pulled over so no, tough luck pig you are not unlocking my phone.

Or one can just stick to a physical ID card, at least until all the legal-ese details are figured out.

Again, outside of LE I still don't see any use for loading my ID into my phone for app age verification, chances are I verified my age when I signed up for an account. I guess one could make a case for providing proof of age at a bar but I wonder how many bars will accept phones as ID? Will it be legislated that all businesses must accept a digital ID?

Time will tell.

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Wait. You mean to tell me that some guy who works for the government has to give permission to some other guys (who happen to have unlimited funding, protections, resources, and force) who work for the same government before they can search you? Right… 👍🏻
None of that matters because "did you just drop this? Step out of the car."

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
You're right, it would be unconstitutional to search without probable cause. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the Supreme Court has said that officers can compel you to unlock your phone via biometrics (if you have enabled FaceID or TouchID) when conducting a legal search. But, they cannot compel what is in your mind (i.e. a passcode). So, if you are cuffed and they are searching, yes, they can (according to SCOTUS) physically force your finger onto the home button or hold the phone in front of your face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.