iPhone-enabled Bluetooth Watches

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jasonbaum, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jasonbaum, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

jasonbaum macrumors regular

jasonbaum

I thought it might be nice to have one thread for the subject. There seems to be growing interest and now at least a couple of mainstream watches in market.

There seems to be two different development routes people follow: on the watches from Citizen and Casio, there are predefined functions which are managed via an iPhone app. Some of the start-ups go a different route where they have open architecture and allow app development for the watches.

Please add to the thread with watches and opinions!

1. Citizen Eco-Drive Proximity
    Web Site
    [​IMG]

2. Casio G-Shock 6900
    Website
    [​IMG]

3. Martian Watch
    Website
    [​IMG]

4. Pebble
    Website
    [​IMG]

5. Inpulse
    Website
    [​IMG]

2. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

Here is/are the right image/s for the G-Shock model:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hoping G-Shock will come out with an analog hybrid w/ Bluetooth enabled, that would be something I may look out for.

3. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

Thanks S.L. My bad. I fixed the original post.

4. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Those Martians look NICE. As does the Pebble, which I've been watching:rolleyes: for awhile.

If anybody has hands on with the martian (is it even out yet?) could you quote me so I can see your "review"?

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Has anyone used the G-Shock?

Might have to send that to Santa :)

6. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

With the G Shock, does the iPhone app have to be open and running for it to work?

7. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

Good question. Could be a drain on the iPhone battery. I would think that would fly in the face of the whole low power bluetooth standard.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I have been eye balling the martian watches since they were on kick starter. I like the idea and how they work, They look nice, but I think they are too thick. My iPhone 4S is 9.3mm thick, the Martian watches are 13.34mm thick.

If they can get the watch down to about 8 or 9mm thick I will buy one right away. I think the watches (with a metal replacement band) are fairly nice looking. Too bad they couldn't slim them down.

I own six watches, and a couple of quite large and still aren't as thick as the Martian watches.

9. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

Inpulse currently doesn't support the iPhone.

10. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

They're taking pre-orders here for iPhone-compatible watches with delivery "early 2013".

They're calling it the "pebble". So I screwed up in my initial post. Oops.

----------

For me the square design is my issue with the Martian. I also am not a fan of the speaker/microphone functionality. I just want a watch that lets me know when a call is coming in and who is calling. There are other functions I'd like as well of course, but talking into my wrist ain't one of them.

----------

I was reading the Citizen Proximity FAQ which talks about the fact that their iPhone app independently polls for new email outside of your native mail.

I couldn't tell if you can turn the functionality off but that would be important to all of us battery-conscious folk who fetch mail manually.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I take it you're not a fan of the Hoff?

[​IMG]

12. chrsb, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

chrsb macrumors member

Don't forget Metawatch, it is out and shipping-
    http://metawatch.myshopify.com/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I own one and am very pleased. As for battery usage, I get about a week out of a charge for the watch. My iPhone battery seems the same as before I got the watch, heavy usage I charge it once a day.

They are still developing the software for it, as of right now it only alerts for phone calls, texts, calendar events, out or range of the phone, charge phone. It shows weather and stock. Email and other stuff is supposed to come out soon.

13. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

chrsb,

Nice addition. I downloaded the app and it seems much more sophisticated than Casio's or Citizen's. boy I wish they had a version with a round face.

----------

Really? You had to go to the Hoff?

[​IMG]

14. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Does the iPhone app have to be open and running all time for the watch to function?

15. chrsb macrumors member

I think it does as it pushes updates to the phone. You can set the frequency through the app for stock quotes, weather. If you don't need the alerts than I imagine you can close the app from running in the background. When I went out of range the watch still worked and kept time.

16. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

Pebble watch final details

An update on Pebble watch on Kickstarter. Boy I wish it didn't look quite so...square.

Here

[​IMG]

17. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Damn this is nice. How do you have it? It says pre order. I might be picking one of these up soon as they release.

18. dinggus macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a watch that looks professional and that way I don't have to pull out my phone just to see who is calling/texting.

19. chrsb macrumors member

They are shipping within 24-48 hours of ordering, all but the stealth model and maybe the frame. I backed them on kickstarter so I got mine early. If you send them a email they usually respond within a hour. They said they needed to change the preorder button to order.

20. v3rn macrumors regular

21. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

V3RN,

Can you post some pix when it arrives and give us some impressions?

Thanks,

JB

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

23. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

Thanks for the addition. I forgot about that one. Anybody have one? Or ordered one yet?

24. v3rn macrumors regular

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355172785.534754.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355172799.629440.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355172809.094230.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355172822.396156.jpg

Here are some pictures of the cookoo watch. I received it today. The build quality is really really good. And the packaging was some of the best I've seen for a product. Overall I'm really happy with the watch, but it needs more connected features. Alerts and features are very limited but more stuff is being added to the app soon. Being able to click a button and find your phone is cool. And having the watch beep and vibrate for calls and calendar alerts is great. iOS is very restrictive so SMS and email alerts aren't currently available. You can check in on Facebook with the watch as well, but I don't have Facebook so I haven't tested it. I hope they add twitter and foursquare soon. Taking a picture remotely with the watch seems like it would be useful as well, but a feature that won't be used too much.

The band is replaceable, and I think a black stainless band would look nicer. But the rubber band is surprisingly comfortable and very high quality. I like it better than most rubber bands. It's much more flexible, almost like a silicone material.

Ask away if you have any questions.

25. jasonbaum thread starter macrumors regular

jasonbaum

V3rn,

Thanks! The watch looks great. As far as connectivity goes, I'm guessing software revisions will bring improvements on that front.

I also agree on the idea of swapping the band for a stainless bracket. I think it is a great looking watch!