Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iowndreams

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
View attachment 382761
View attachment 382762
View attachment 382763
View attachment 382764

Here are some pictures of the cookoo watch. I received it today. The build quality is really really good. And the packaging was some of the best I've seen for a product. Overall I'm really happy with the watch, but it needs more connected features. Alerts and features are very limited but more stuff is being added to the app soon. Being able to click a button and find your phone is cool. And having the watch beep and vibrate for calls and calendar alerts is great. iOS is very restrictive so SMS and email alerts aren't currently available. You can check in on Facebook with the watch as well, but I don't have Facebook so I haven't tested it. I hope they add twitter and foursquare soon. Taking a picture remotely with the watch seems like it would be useful as well, but a feature that won't be used too much.

The band is replaceable, and I think a black stainless band would look nicer. But the rubber band is surprisingly comfortable and very high quality. I like it better than most rubber bands. It's much more flexible, almost like a silicone material.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Are you still happy with it? Worth the cash?

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Pebble

Just got word that the Pebble pre-orders (post-kickstarter funded orders) are starting to ship. Now I am wondering whether to keep it or just wait for something better...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Just got word that the Pebble pre-orders (post-kickstarter funded orders) are starting to ship. Now I am wondering whether to keep it or just wait for something better...

Why not use it while waiting?

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Finally got my notification that I can finalize my order for my Pebble to ship. I have to say, I think I am over it, and the reviews have been spotty at best. Also, to be honest, it irks me that they started selling them in Best Buy before they filled their pre-orders (they had enough stock to fill Best Buy but not enough to ship me the one that I ordered the first day they accepted pre-orders?). That is a d-ck move in my opinion, and is really telling about the company's approach to customer loyalty.

So I am going to pass, and trust Johnny Ive to impress me later...

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Finally got my notification that I can finalize my order for my Pebble to ship. I have to say, I think I am over it, and the reviews have been spotty at best. Also, to be honest, it irks me that they started selling them in Best Buy before they filled their pre-orders (they had enough stock to fill Best Buy but not enough to ship me the one that I ordered the first day they accepted pre-orders?). That is a d-ck move in my opinion, and is really telling about the company's approach to customer loyalty.

I do agree 110%. It's very shady of the company to do that IMO. Lifeproof did that as well, pissed many off including me. Terrible way to roll a product out.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Hoping for this myself.

Sounds like functionality is to boringly limited without jailbreak, and even then it's buggy, and I'm not going to jailbreak. Soooo..... Bring it Johnny!

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Does Apple still have the magic touch?

Hoping for this myself.

Sounds like functionality is to boringly limited without jailbreak, and even then it's buggy, and I'm not going to jailbreak. Soooo..... Bring it Johnny!

After first hand (or wrist, as the case may be) experience with the Citizen smart watch and from everything I've read about the other pioneers in this space, what Apple releases will be a very interesting indicator if they are the Apple Jobs built it into.

I'd suggest the perspective you have to keep in mind is that there were MP3 players before the iPod. There were touch phones before the iPhone. There were tablets before the iPad. And yet, in each case, Apple reinvented the devices so dramatically, it was almost as if what preceeded them had never existed.

Pretty high standard to strive to maintain so like I said, it'll be interesting to see if they hit it out of the park.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I'm excited for this supposed iWatch. I have no idea what kind of functionality it will have, but I'm hoping something similar to the Fuelband.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
What do you guys think of the smartwatch on Indiegogo right now?
http://igg.me/at/kreyos/x/2722203

it is very tempting. And I don't think the iWatch is coming out this year...
Wait for the iWatch, even though it might still be a year out.

At the moment (or possibly until iOS7 is released), all watches have to contend with iOS6 issues. It doesn't matter how good or bad a watch is -- it still has to deal with iOS. I have a pebble, and I like it, but I hate having to do the iOS "finger dance" to handle the iOS6 notification center issues.

Also, be careful about comparing specs. Specs are one thing, reliability and usability might be something totally different. (Example: I also have a Cookoo, and I *HATE* it. While it might look "cool" -- if your idea of "cool" includes having a large black lump on your wrist -- I can never hear the tiny peep, nor feel the short vibration. I also have the Cookoo keyfob, which I can never get to work reliably.)

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
I have a pebble but I also backed this, due to arrive november 2013, campaign ends in 10 days, everything I wanted in the pebble but more is in this watch, http://igg.me/at/kreyos/x/3859483 check it out. kreyos smartwatch microphone speaker and waterproof= perfect

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Getting a little psyched

From the insane, always-churning rumor mill the renditions I've seen lately suggest a "conventional" device with extremely unconventional functionality.

I've commented before that my challenge with many of the early challengers were just too clunky for my tastes. I wear an analog, round-faced watch and it just feels right. I gave the Citizen version a try but the interface is such a fuster-cluck I gave up on it.

My hopes and expectations is an elegant appearance with an intuitive interface.

Fingers crossed!

Jason

Swallsy

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Durham, NC
Cool tech and idea, but is mass adoption of the smartwatch likely?

Interesting thread here on smartwatches. While many of the forum members are into tech (and more than likely early adopters), do you think there will be a mass adoption of smartwatches by the general public as the available technology exists today?

For smarwatches to be widely adopted they need to make a difference in our everyday lives. What’s the incentive to set down my smartphone and wear a smartwatch when I’ve never even really worn a watch and I always have my phone on me? If Apple, Samsung, Sony, or some unknown tech company can create an experience, design, apps and software that are life altering maybe we will see a mass adoption.

Smartphones existed before the iPhone, they just didn’t make sense or seem important enough to integrate into the average person’s life. The iPhone was the first time that a smartphone was able to shift our view of the technology from unnecessary to a must have. Until a smartwatch comes out that can delight and greatly enhance users (wearers?) lives smartwatches will remain in flux.

This article does a good job examining this trend: http://twotoasters.com/ideas/2013/the-smart-watch-needs-to-matter/

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Nice post.

For smarwatches to be widely adopted they need to make a difference in our everyday lives.

I agree that smart watches may not have the initial rate of adoption as smartphones but I would suggest that the reality exists one day for smart watches to replace smart phones. Not any time soon (meaning the next twenty five minutes) but eventually. Obviously, that's total speculation.

What’s the incentive to set down my smartphone and wear a smartwatch when I’ve never even really worn a watch and I always have my phone on me?

I would argue that initially, there won't be a ton of incentives to carry both a cellphone and smart watch unless...like me you miss most phone calls coming into your phone if it is set on vibrate; if you're waiting on an email and are constantly checking your phone to see if it has come in; if you're waiting for a text from your daughter telling you she arrived after a ten hour drive.

Until a smartwatch comes out that can delight and greatly enhance users (wearers?) lives smartwatches will remain in flux.

Isn't that the holy grail? Combining hardware and user experience in a way that is so intuitive that it feels natural from the first moment you use deploy it? Historically, that is what has separated Apple from other hardware/software companies. I'd argue that the $64 question (right now) isn't about Samsung or some other tech company, it is: can Apple do it again? The odds are completely against it but I'm an optimist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.