Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

During the iPhone SDK event today, Apple announced that they would be including support for frequently requested iPhone enterprise features.

The new features include:

- Push email
- Push calendar
- Push contacts
- Global address list
- Cisco IPsec VPN
- Certificates and Identities
- WPA2 / 802.1x
- Enforced security policies
- Device configuration
- Remote wipe
- Active Sync and Microsoft Exchange support

These features (for both iPod Touch and iPhone) will come in the 2.0 Firmware release that will be released in June. All iPhone owners will get this update for free, but iPod Touch owners will be charged a small fee for accounting purposes.

Article Link

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
awwww....June! Damn apple for once again making me so excited and waiting so long for it! :p

Oh well, from the looks of it, it'll be worth the wait. I've been waiting for exchange support like this forever.

Comment

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Do SDK developers who get the beta 2.0 software get the Enterprise features now?

Comment

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Will I be able to connect to the wifi at uni now?

It uses WPA Enterprise and 802.1X, so I'm guessing yes! That will be nice!

Seems a pity that none of us Mac OS X'ers will get push iCal, Address Book, Mail etc.

But amazing announcements today!

Comment

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Would Apple ever put a 3G chip in the Touch? Like Amazon did with the Kindle?

Might be nice for us Touch owners! so we don't always need to be in a WiFi hotspot.

The whole point of the Touch is surely that its an iphone without the phone stuff (and the contract) - and that includes any future 3g chip

Comment

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Will I be able to connect to the wifi at uni now?

It uses WPA Enterprise and 802.1X, so I'm guessing yes! That will be nice!

Seems a pity that none of us Mac OS X'ers will get push iCal, Address Book, Mail etc.

But amazing announcements today!

Now? Unlikely. I was really excited at first. I would pay today for the update for 802.1X. I wish Apple could allow those who want to use the beta a chance to do so.

Comment

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Manchester, NH
Some really great new features coming! Kinda disappointed there is no Lotus Notes support mentioned (yet) since we use it at my work. But all of the features looks great.

Comment

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
So, this PUSH e-mail support, is it going to be some exchange-only BS, or are they also going to support IMAP PUSH/IDLE, like on GMail?

Comment

mooty

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
UK
what does this mean for existing infrastructure though? My company uses exchange and crackberrys. Will I be able to configure my iPhone to use our exchange mail etc etc?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.