Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Store Credit page shows off an interesting screenshot of an iPhone (noted by modrak):

111.png

If you notice, this iPhone is up to version 1.1.1 with Modem Firmware 4.02.04_G. Apple has only publicly released iPhone Firmware 1.0.2 at this time. Apple is expected to introduce a firmware update in the near future to distribute the iTunes Wifi Store software.

Article Link

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
you can also see at the apple link, in the image before the one in the post, a "Home Button" setting and an "International" setting. both are new. probably just adding the option of double tapping the Home Button as well as International keyboard options. both part of the iTouch and rumored for the iPhone, this basically confirms both will be coming.

soon??!! please!!

Modrak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
As you know, the latest baseband modem firmware is 03.14.08_G in 1.02. So a whole new 04.xx.xx_X line is coming. I wish it will activate 3G, cause no-one really knows what the radio chip with Apple logo is capable of :)

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
another odd thing.. in this shot, under model #, it lists MA712LL... my iphone is MA712.. anyone have a phone with a model number which includes the LL? is this a new batch, with slightly modified hardware?

jgeist1

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
another odd thing.. in this shot, under model #, it lists MA712LL... my iphone is MA712.. anyone have a phone with a model number which includes the LL? is this a new batch, with slightly modified hardware?

My phone's model has FA712.

-Jason

Modrak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005

The Apple website shows MA712LL as the model number for iPhone.

My phone's model has FA712.

-Jason

Isn't yours refurbished ?

4GB would be MA/FA501

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
As you know, the latest baseband modem firmware is 03.14.08_G in 1.02. So a whole new 04.xx.xx_X line is coming. I wish it will activate 3G, cause no-one really knows what the radio chip with Apple logo is capable of :)

Um, yes, we do, and it's definitely not 3G-capable, as that would have to have been included in the FCC filing, even if the capability was unused:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...pple_iphone_receives_fcc_approval.html&page=2

That, and the fact that Steve Jobs specifically said a future iteration of the iPhone would have 3G, the clear implication being that the current generation doesn't have it, and in a media Q&A some time ago laid out the reasons for not including 3G:

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/28/wall-street-journal-qanda-with-steve-jobs/

So yeah, it's pretty clear there is no "hidden" or not-yet-enabled 3G. Sorry to disappoint. You'll have to buy a new iPhone at some point to get 3G.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
but a new modem firmware could certainly help increase speeds. keep edge closer to it's theoretical max.. and i do believe WiFi speeds could be faster.

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
It seems like people who have gotten their iPod Touch are reporting that the WiFi iTunes Store is, at least partially, working. It makes me jealous. I want that functionally now!

CanadianGuy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Interesting, but....

You can't really rely on the numbers in the screen shot. The ICCID, Serial Numbr, IMEI etc are all obviously editted, so what's to say the graphic designer didn't just change the firmware and other numbers too.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
edge

Edge could certanly be faster, but you said yours was only 4-6kbps thats extremely slow. mine runs at 47kpbs.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
After using my new 4GB iPhone for the last 3 days, this is my list of things I would like to see added in the next firmware update:
1) Flash support in Safari.
2) Native Thumb Drive ability through USB and BlueTooth.
3) Weather Map Widget option in the Weather app.
4) Be able to save images from web to your photo library.
5) Support for WMV files in Safari.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
scratch that just tested at 155kbps

check yours at speedtest.dlsreports.com

I get 190 on average. Yesterday morning I got as low as 90, but that was also at 8:30 am when I'm sure all the salespeople in the office were checking their Blackberries and Treos, probably taxing the system because at 8:45 am I was back up to 182.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.