Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pocket-lint.co.uk received confirmation from Apple that the 1.1.2 firmware update would become available to all iPhone owners on Friday, November 9th.
Although the time could not be confirmed, iPhone owners who sync their device with iTunes tomorrow in the States will be presented with the option to upgrade to the new firmware.
The new firmware incorporates more international language support, and there have been rumors that it will again break many of the 3rd party hacks for the iPhone.

Article Link

FunkyJunk

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Leesburg, VA, USA
It will probably patch the TIFF exploit. This would break the hacks in the process since that's how they work, but it would provide a more secure platform for those who update.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Before anyone starts, this is just a 0.0.x revision, so don't expect any new features like note syncing, video taking, email selecting, flash, to-do lists, sdks, mms or 3G.

I'm sure that'll all be here in time.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Where is landscape keyboard and the half-dozen or so universally requested tweaks? What are they working on over there?

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
just think how much apple is making off these hacked phones, they estimate 25 million in sales, it's in their best interest to make the patches happen slow and keep leaving holes for people to get in.

salvatorereda

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
ipod touch

what about the ipod touch
is there going to be a update for that!

apple needs to update a flash app and .mac mail!

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'll stick with 1.1.1, thank you.

I have yet to AppTap my phone, but I am tired of losing ringtones every time Apple updates iTunes (at least iToner works after the first re-sync under 7.5) and iPhone update.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Great I can now get more iBricks for my brick wall.

Hehe, there is always a sucker to try it after unlocking the phone.

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
Where is landscape keyboard and the half-dozen or so universally requested tweaks? What are they working on over there?

Now that the intial lunch has been successfull, all the Managers at Apple have yanked back their pilfered employees to work on other projects. Budget meetings have been held to point out how high the burn rate was and how it's not sustainable. Lists have had to be made about prioritizing Steve's wishes to make sure the profit margins stay in line with analysts expectations.

What do you call 100 accountants at the bottom of the ocean?....

drewpage

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
new firmware

I am all in favor of making my iphone more secure and adding new features, but I hope they tested this upgrade more than 1.1.1. That one was a bit bumpy.

izzle22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I am all in favor of making my iphone more secure and adding new features, but I hope they tested this upgrade more than 1.1.1. That one was a bit bumpy.

How has it been bumpy? I have had no problems at all, and I have 5 friends with iPhones and they have had no problems either.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Now that the intial lunch has been successfull, all the Managers at Apple have yanked back their pilfered employees to work on other projects. Budget meetings have been held to point out how high the burn rate was and how it's not sustainable. Lists have had to be made about prioritizing Steve's wishes to make sure the profit margins stay in line with analysts expectations.

What do you call 100 accountants at the bottom of the ocean?....

Along with 1,000,000 Lawyers a great begining.

lcm123

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
iphone on bionic woman

did anybody watch bionic woman show on nbc last night? in one scene, i saw a guy talking on his iphone, he had the iphone held up to his ear and the whole time the iphone display was lit up. that was funny :p

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It will probably patch the TIFF exploit. This would break the hacks in the process since that's how they work, but it would provide a more secure platform for those who update.

It depends on whether the update patches the system, or does a full rewrite. Earlier updates only applied patches and thus didn't didn't 'un-jailbreak' phones IIRC. The last update rewrote the entire OS, which is equivalent to restoring your phone from scratch with standard Apple OS.

If the latest update only applies a patch that eliminates the TIFF exploit, it won't necessarily 'un-Jailbreak' a phone, since the exploit was only needed in the initial jailbreak step. Patching the exploit alone won't break hacked phones, unless Apple does other things...

But if you haven't jailbroken your phone and update, then you won't be able to jailbreak it afterwards using the current method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.