iPhone Firmware 2.2.1 Features Revealed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nfl46, Jan 19, 2009.

1. nfl46 macrumors 603

Apple has not launched a new firmware for quite sometime (not even a small update) since the release of 2.2 version So, we all are excited about the new features
    coming in the next release but, the leaked feature list doesn't seem to be doing much justice with our aspirations!

Though, none of these new features have been confirmed in anyway but they obviously seem to be enough for a small update. First of all, this new update will include a number of bug fixes which an end-user would rarely even notice. These fixes include fixing the super slow sync speeds which many users (including me) face daily on a PC. The new features are not really big but include certain interface changes in the SMS application interface and some new features for the Mail application targeting the Corporate users. Another feature which is said to be under beta is deleting all mails at once rather than selecting each in the Mail application. This new version is speculated to release in the upcoming few weeks.

Also, there is another rumor that the next major 2.3 update, which has no confirmed release date will include some sort of option for Bluetooth synchronization with iTunes but I think this is highly unlikely due to Apple's non-seriousness about other bluetooth issues on iPhone.

http://planet-iphones.com/2009/01/18/iphoneipod-touch-firmware-221-features-revealed/

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Screenshots or it didn't happen...

Yawn... wake me up when something big happens.

The "Send" button is green now. The blue button issue has been complained about since day one. I'm glad they finally fixed it. Just like the 3G and EDGE icon issues from 2.0. You have no idea how much I complained about them before. I'm so glad we get the important stuff first.

</sarcasm> :rolleyes:

4. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

Another string along until june where i am allmonst convinced that they will either doing a 3.0 release or an entirely new phone

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I really hope that have focused on fixing bugs, the iPhone OS and Safari is really buggy, it gives me rage to think about Safari crashes!

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

[sarcasm] oh, what a surprise! [/sarcasm]

I guess this just delivers a further blow to our hopes for 2.3. If they were really seriously readying 2.3, why wouldn't they just wait and include these "bug fixes" with 2.3?

Well, the major difference between 2.1 and 2.2 was Safari stability. This fix warranted a whole 2.x jump. So, maybe a few small tweaks to Safari may be included in 2.2.1, but I wouldn't expect much.

In my best Ben Stein voice: Wow. A button color change. Just, wow.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

Translation of selected portions of planet-iphones 2.2.1 story

Just a few days ago, we decided we needed to make something up to get more traffic to our site.

We thought we'd guess at some of the things that might be in there too.

All of the details are just guesses.

that we know about.

We are smoking crack.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

... : the definition of accuracy.

9. synagence macrumors 6502a

Yeah ... highlight of article was the bluetooth sync ... laughable.... a whole 1megabit of speed ... wow .. imaging would only take several days to sync it

wifi is what i'm guessing but still 54Mbit versus 480Mbit for USB2 (i know it doesn't really transfer that that speed) is gonna mean limited syncs

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Still no word of PUSH. :rolleyes:

Spot on.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If it's true that there will be a 2.2.1, the number alone should tell you that it is a very minor update. Don't get excited about it. If it were 2.3 or even 3.0 then we could expect some new things added.

12. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

So we should expect this to be released tomorrow right? :D

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Obviously, it's a Tuesday after all.

15. kolax macrumors G3

If 2.3 is to be a "big" update, Bluetooth syncing would be good. As would themes..

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Themes are seems more likely to happen in 3.0, yeah I know that's probably a year away.

17. taran420 macrumors 6502a

SMS Tweak???? Please please please put a CANCEL button

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I, for one, don't believe Apple will ever implement this feature. Maybe a variation of their original and a choice between the two (unlikely), but nothing like what you're going to find in Cydia.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I would prefer this over landscape texting, if I had to choose. It's just craziness this isn't already there.

20. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I hope they finally add the options to delete or forward a text. What they should do is if you tap a message, you get options as to what you can do with it.

21. kolax macrumors G3

Guess not themes - but just a wallpaper option. The Home Screen would look so much brighter with a wallpaper other than just black.

Not a single phone I've ever used has had an option to cancel sending an SMS. Of course, it would be good if Apple moved the 'Send' button a bit away from the keyboard to avoid accidental sending of a premature message.

22. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

... says the guy who posts useless speculation all the time.

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's bullcrap. I have a hard time hitting the send button when I'm TRYING to hit the send button... it's not very sensitive at all. I've never accidentally sent a message while typing.

24. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Every phone I've used has not had a cancel button but the way to cancel an SMS was by hitting end while it was sending.

25. kolax macrumors G3

It's "bullcrap" because you're incapable of even pressing the send button properly?

Ok. :rolleyes: