iphone found

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CupertinoRat, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CupertinoRat macrumors member

Found an iphone on the bus today, tried searchin for the owner, no dice. can I unlock this puppy so that i can check the phone numbers and stuff? If i connect it to internet will they be able to see where it is?

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

just return it to an att store they will take care of it for you. i found one a few months back and the phone made its way back to the owner

3. apmorency macrumors regular

If you leave it on they may find it with find my phone or try calling one of the contact numbers and tell them you have the phone.

4. CupertinoRat thread starter macrumors member

thanks. at&t store too far away too much hassle. How can I unlock it?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just make sure it has power and signal and wait for them to call. Surely they'll try and call it eventually, right?

6. CupertinoRat thread starter macrumors member

yea, but i just wanna unlock it to check the numbers though.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

While I'm sure you're a trustworthy individual I'm also sure that if MY phone were lost I'd rather it stayed lost than having a stranger poke around inside it.

That's the whole reason I use a lock code and I'm sure that's why the owner of that phone set his up too. I'm not sure that trying to go against the owner's wishes (which are clear based on the fact that he uses a lock code) is the best goal to have.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Seems dubious that you're trying to help

10. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Sounds like you're trying to unlock it just to restore it or something. Leave the phone powered on and they will call or call apple or att and they will handle it.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

found and stolen are hard seperate sometimes, finding is finding when your full intention is to return it, whens its "too much of a hassle" you leave it where it was or its stealing

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant unlock it if it has a passcode setup.
    You can restore it with itunes but that will delete everything that was on the phone before.

13. CupertinoRat, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

CupertinoRat thread starter macrumors member

why this high moral ground and accusations? i found it and the dude is lucky i'm trrying to help him/her. it's my business what i do with it no? i thought this forum was to discuss iphones and not give ethic lessons. Chill.

Are you for real dude??? Found and stolen the same? LOL please pray explain to me how me finding something some douche lost is the same to stealing it? sorry, it isn't.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you create the ethics topic when your dont take the advice on how to return it without tampering with it

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol you took finders keepers too litteral as a youngster

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you for real or just clueless?
    Finding someone elses property and not taking the steps to return it will get you in trouble. And if the owner is tracking the phone right now you can be found easily. If you dont do the right thing and try to return it you can get yourself in a tough situation.
    Up to you. Leave the phone on and answer it and get it back to the owner. You dont need to go into their phone and look at their private info.

17. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Call the police. turn it in as found. or give it to the cell phone company.

the questions you ask make you sound like one trying to access the phone. Most people would figure for nefarious purposes.

If assumably is not too much trouble for you to call the police to report it found?

18. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

If it's an AT&T phone take the sim out and put the sim into another phone (unless this is the iPhone 4 and it obviously uses the micro sim) If the contacts are stored to the sim they should pop up on your phone when you turn it on. Unless they have a sim pin as well....

19. CupertinoRat thread starter macrumors member

nice suggestion but isnt the police too busy to worry about lost iphones? Let them worry about bigger things. I will try getting phone numbers off sim.

One more thing: i still dont see how finding and stealing are the same. if i lose $100 bill guess what folks ? It's my own damn fault and i dont go around blaming others for my stupidity.

20. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP never responded in this topic now.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol finding something doesnt make it go in your pocket thats the difference

22. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

it isn't finding that is suspect. It's what you do afterward. You find a locked iphone and you start a new acct. here to ask how to get past the keyboard lock.
    That is suspect in my view.

I would go to the trouble of getting it to a cell phone store so they can forward it along. Thats what decent people do when they start the process of "finding" something they say was lost. You say you cant be bothered. So why did you pick it up and take it home with you then if getting it back to the owner was not your aim because you didn't want to be bothered to do what it took?

Your screen name appears to be pretty accurate. Rat.

23. CupertinoRat thread starter macrumors member

this is un-freaking-real. I try to help somebody and i am accused of being a thief and a scoundrel. I go through all this trouble to have a finger waived at me here by a bunch of high and mighty.

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Finding with no intention of returning is stealing. You do not own something that you "find". It belongs to the original owner. Hopefully you are being tracked by the owner. :)

25. Mark98xlt macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not simply hand it tO the bus driver? That would be the first place the owner would check for a lost item is the lost and found of the bus company

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.