iphone glass not scratch proof?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glocke12, Mar 4, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Just picked up a 16 gig iphone. Its pretty much only been in and out of my pocket for the past week, away from keys, change, etc...Today I noticed some small, vey fine scratches on the glass. They are not visible looking directly at the phone, but when held at an angle they are pretty obvious.

2. MyNewSolstice macrumors newbie

I had scratches on mine deep enough that they were visible during video playback...Applestore replaced it and gave me a new one as long as I put a film cover on it :)

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

are you carrying diamonds in your pocket? i have no problems on mine, had it since july

4. aosman macrumors 6502

That's weird: I never had a scratch on the screen and I had mine since release. Maybe the newer screens are not as resistant?

Weird...

5. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Picked up a 16GB on the 6th of feb and no signs of scratches.
    Been in and out of pocket backpack car console etc...
    Perhaps you are seeing the touch sensors.
    If you hold the iphone just right in the right light you can seen the touch sensor grid.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I haven't scratched mine yet either.... had it since early August 2007. I have taken it skiing, to work, to the gym, basically everywhere. The back gets a few scratches, but not the glass on the front.

7. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

There are many instances where the glass screen is scratched. Then screens are not scratch proof. Invest $15 for a screen protector and save yourself headaches.

8. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i have one of those crystal screen protectors... feels just like the glass.

9. drb6 macrumors regular

Oh really...whats the brand?

10. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

nope..they are clearly scratches. Not enough to make me take it back though. The only way that I noticed them was when I was cleaning the glass in preparation for putting a boadygaurdz protector on.

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

remember those stress tests from PC world, I did the scratching tests on mine :D. Also I do it on purpose all the time when my friends ask me if the screen gets scratched, so i show 'em :D

12. jontucker macrumors 6502

Arrange these words in to a sentance....

Shut Bolted Door Stable Horse

13. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I have the static (no adhesive) films used on my Palm device. They are an ample enough size to trim down for the iPhone.

Palm
    Premium screen protectors multipack
    13 per pack (includes cleaning cloth)
    SKU 3177WW

14. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

1. Horse Stable Door Bolted Shut.
    2. Stable Horse Bolted Door Shut.

15. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

16. bensternater333 macrumors member

i have an 8 gb

and i woke up about 2 weeks ago and found scratches alllll over my iPhone and i couldn't find out how they got on there!!!
    they r only noticable when the screen is black and at an angle!!!
    idk how but they r on there!

17. RUFiO795 macrumors member

I spent probably the least amusing hour and a half of my life attaching a matte screen protector to my iPhone, but it has completely eliminated the possibility of scratches and fingerprints. It also looks and feels AWESOME. Keeping dust and air bubbles out during the application phase was akin to what I would expect heroin withdrawal to feel like, but I did manage it in the end and feel that it was worth the screaming and the nausea.

18. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

mine went on first try with no bubbles. took me 30 seconds to apply.

i centered it, touched it down in the center, and let gravity do its thing. it looks like it isnt even there.

19. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk here, but no one ever claimed the iPhone's screen to be "Scratch proof." It was originally plastic in early designs, and the decision was made to switch to optical quality glass to make the screen more "scratch resistant" then plastic. To be honest, it is very scratch resistant, but it can still be scratched. You still need to be careful with it.

20. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

is anything scratch proof?

21. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Water? :p

But seriously, my iPhone doesn't have a single scratch and my pockets scratch anything I put in them.

22. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I thought about getting a screen protector but it almost seems like a waste of money. Anything that is strong enough to scratch the iPhone screen will surely go right through a piece of plastic.

23. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

People have scratched it? Seriously?

Are you actually doing something more extreme than the abuse this poor iPhone endured?

To those who have scratched your iPhones: Congratulations! :eek:

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I know only Diamonds can cause so much scratches. My screen is 99.98% perfect (one tiny minute none visible without angle scratch near the home botton so it doesn't count as much) and I bought in early September

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

As you have read in this thread, people have found their iPhone screen scratched simply by placing in their pockets. It is ONL glass and glass is not scratch proof. Look at the windshield on your car. See all the pits in it when the sun shines on it?

Some people even dropped theirs and noticed it scratched. Don't be too confident in thinking it's scratch proof, it's not.