iPhone iBooks can't see iCloud books?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nick Jinks, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nick Jinks, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

Nick Jinks macrumors member

I'm trying to transfer books [PDF/epub files, NOT purchased via store] between my MacBook and iPhone using the iCloud. I THINK I've managed to upload them successfully from the MacBook [although how I tell I'm not sure!] but my iPhone can't see them at all.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I've gone forward and back through the settings and frankly this is starting to wind me up. If anyone has an idea I'd be very grateful.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not something I do but I would think you could find these books in the store and re-download them to your phone.

3. Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

They're all PDF/epub books I've gotten myself, they're not Purchased in the store.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Now I see. I am sorry.

I use DropBox and move .pdfs between our devices, some as large as 50mb.

5. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

There are two ways I use to move PDF content to iBooks. On my Mac, I right click the file and select open with iBooks. The other is to transfer the file to the iCloud folder in Finder. Once it's there I can open it on my iPad or iPhone, tap the share button and import into iBooks. Make sure in your phone iCloud settings that iBooks is set to on and in iBooks settings it is set to sync online content. I've never done this with ePub files, don't have any, but anything I've had with .pdf extensions has always worked this way. Hope this helps.

6. Nick Jinks, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

Nick Jinks thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much, I didn't know iPhones had direct access to the iCloud drive [app magically appeared on my phone after I uploaded a book to iCloud from the Mac]. I couldn't get the iBooks app to work, but this seems like a much less..."complex for the sake of being complex" method.

Thanks again, saves alot of headaches and trouble in the future. Now I actually need to find time to read all this...