Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cabinets

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/523.15.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.15)

bytethese said:
Apple forgot February was a short month.

I heard they originally had it scheduled for Feb 30th. Then Jobs fired the head of the iCal dev team...

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
The fear for me is that Apple will only permit apps they've reviewed and placed in the iTunes store themselves, allowing them to control pricing (meaning, despite whatever the developer wishes, Apple will charge *something*), but more worryingly, deny access to any app that solves a problem they don't want solved. Like let's say AT&T doesn't want a chat client available because they don't want people using that rather than texting.. Apple just says, "sorry, we won't allow it on iTunes" and that's that, no app. That sort of thing.

and I'll say "sorry but I'll have to jail break my iphone AGAIN because you're a**holes :D"

I mean once the SDK is out if I cant have I'll the features I need or want I'll just jailbreak it and install them thru installer 3.0....... I'm pretty sure any developer who can't get into itunes might just make the app available thru installer instead..... if not for anything just to piss apple off :D

and wouldnt the sdk make it easier because now they could write the apps using the sdk and just worry about finding a way to get the app in the iphone
i'm sure that the jailbreak will be out in about a week or two after the sdk and then it will be applications galore :D

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I would pay for some apps, but I hoep some are free. Some of those apps offered for Jailbroken phones that basically do nothing (pair of 'boobs' shaking, snow across the screen like a xmas globe, etc) are not worth even $1. I'd pay up to $5 for a good app, maybe $10 if I needed for a Slingplayer.

Yeah, something tells me it'll be another section of the iTMS... and they'll probably do a flat pricing for it. $2.99 or $3.99 for an application, and maybe random free updates? I wouldn't mind that, at all, and it'll be a good way for Apple to do the regulating they love to do so much ;)

DonSqueak

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
Does anyone agree with me that push-mail on .Mac is more than overdue if RIM is the target?

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Exchange

I agree - this will allow Apple to outstrip RIM.

The Exchange support needs to be really, really good. If it is, Apple will be able to grab a good chunk of RIM's market. If not, the iPhone will remain a niche enterprise device. I sincerely hope that Apple put its best resources on this, because if the Exchange support isn't great, they may not get a second chance.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yeah, something tells me it'll be another section of the iTMS... and they'll probably do a flat pricing for it. $2.99 or $3.99 for an application, and maybe random free updates? I wouldn't mind that, at all, and it'll be a good way for Apple to do the regulating they love to do so much ;)

I find it hard to believe that Apple will force developers to sell their apps. They don't do this with podcasts (which take a good amount of time and work to produce), so I doubt they'll do the same with applications.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
The Exchange support needs to be really, really good. If it is, Apple will be able to grab a good chunk of RIM's market. If not, the iPhone will remain a niche enterprise device. I sincerely hope that Apple put its best resources on this, because if the Exchange support isn't great, they may not get a second chance.

Your absolutely correct about this. Don't rely on ActiveSync support, which is a piece of crap and most companies are phasing out because of port 80 paranoia.

cabinets

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/523.15.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.15)

Perhaps a dumb question, but...on the 6th, does that mean developers get it, then another period of time before any apps are available?

sotyrockz04

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
apple will probably give us some apps that do or some new features for being missing the February deadline....its going to be one of those arent u glad you waited that extra week we would have never been able to get you these apps and features before today type of thing:apple:

atad6

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe it's just me, but from the way i read it, it sounds like the SDK won't be ready then. Doesn't roadmap mean they're planning to add additional features and eventually release the SDK rather than it being immediately available. It seems like it will be an announcement of what to expect, like when the iphone was first announced.

Also perhaps this is a minor detail but it didn't mention the ipod touch. Perhaps, even if it's just initially, the enterprise features and ability to add apps will be only for the iphone. They did it before, choosing not to release mail and some of the other apps. I'm hoping they learned their lesson, but you never know.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I have a lot of tepidition about all this. Is this SDK going to be open? I'm nervous it will be closed, like console development.

We all know it will be closed - that's Apple's bread & butter.
Apple will control who distributes what, via iTunes.
I seriously doubt Joe Developer can write an app and distribute it from their joe_developer.com site.
Apple has worked too hard, for too long, to open their toy box all the way.
And, while unpopular in many circles, I think that is smart.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
like OMG
so exited.... any ideas of what could be developed?????

I would gladly pay for ATV remote access on the iPhone. Heck the keyboard use alone would make browsing/searching for content sooo much easier. If not way cooler. :)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK

Perhaps a dumb question, but...on the 6th, does that mean developers get it, then another period of time before any apps are available?

Either:

1. Some devs already have it and will show apps
2. The SDK is released to devs to develop for the future
3. The SDK is previewed, and not released.

1 and 2 are interchangeable/flexible.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
The fear for me is that Apple will only permit apps they've reviewed and placed in the iTunes store themselves, allowing them to control pricing (meaning, despite whatever the developer wishes, Apple will charge *something*), but more worryingly, deny access to any app that solves a problem they don't want solved. Like let's say AT&T doesn't want a chat client available because they don't want people using that rather than texting.. Apple just says, "sorry, we won't allow it on iTunes" and that's that, no app. That sort of thing.

Thats probably whats going to happen.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
People that think apps like a Slingplayer will only be a couple bucks (or free) have to be crazy. The other mobile versions of Slingplayer are $20-30 dollars, why would the iPhone one be any different? Any serious application will cost money, no doubt about it.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Honestly, I was checking this with such frequency that any news is good news.

Hopefully the conference is the actual release and hopefully even some apps!

I'm sure facebook, if they have an app, will be free if free apps are available. So that should be a big alert for all of us. If Facebook is an app we have to pay for, all apps will probably cost us.

I hope if apps are sold we can buy in packages as well. Getting 4 or 5 apps for a discounted price (like buying an album rather than by song) would be nice.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I mean once the SDK is out if I cant have I'll the features I need or want I'll just jailbreak it and install them thru installer 3.0.......

Thats assuming Apple doesn't force an update before-hand which completely stops jail-breaking. After all, Apple won't want anyone using un-official methods once the SDK is out. I see Apple putting an end to this jail-breaking lark, once and for all, and pretty soon.

R-Fly

JamesWvr

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
you didn't think we would have to? come on..they aren't going to give these apps away

I don't think it should be up to Apple whether or not to charge for apps. I'm not even sure if Apple can have a say. If a developer wants to distribute their software for free, they should be able to. I guess there is a chance that Apple could charge the developers to be able to put the apps on the iPhone/iPod touch. I really hope that isn't the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.