iPhone is USA questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Oct 10, 2010.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I got a contract free sim from ATT but they asked for a $500 deposit!

Do you know if I will get this back after a certain time?

Also how do I change google search from .co.uk to .com?

Best

Aaron

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe you will get your $500 deposit back after 1 year (12 months) of paying your bill on time.

You must prove to AT&T that you are responsible.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1 Year only if you do not fall behind in a payment during that timeframe.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Did you just move to the US from the UK?

The $500 deposit is because you have no credit history in the US. On a postpaid plan, you must have a certain level of credit history for AT&T to open a postpaid account for you with no deposit. Unlike a Pay as You Go plan, AT&T is extending to you a line of credit in offering you service, and so they either want proof that you're a good credit risk, or a security deposit to protect them from the possibility that you might skip town and leave them with a balance owing.

There are a number of ways to gain credit history. If you live in the US, having a landline phone or other public utility in your name for a certain period of time helps, as does having a credit card (and of course, paying all bills on time).

Your deposit will be returned to you, likely in the form of a service credit to go towards future bills, after you've paid your AT&T bill in full and on time for 12 months. If you cancel sooner than that, the deposit will be returned to you in the form of a check after your account is closed and all balances are settled up.

If you're just visiting the US for a short period of time, then maybe getting a postpaid account is NOT the way to go...

As for Google, you'll need to go into your browser settings and clear out all google-related cookies.