iPhone Launches in Austria and Ireland

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple and T-Mobile are now selling the iPhone in Austria. The iPhone is being sold for 399 euro (8GB) and 499 euro (16GB) with the following plans:

- 39 euro/mo "Classic" - 3GB data / 1000 Minutes / free T-Mobile Wifi
- 55 euro/mo "Supreme" - 3GB data / 4000 Minutes* / 1000 SMS / free T-Mobile Wifi

* 4000 Minutes split across different types of calls (in network, out of network etc...)

The launch also coincides with the launch of the iPhone in Ireland, which was announced in late February. Apple has said they were planning on launching the iPhone in Asia as well as other European countries in 2008. There have also been hints that an Australian launch is not far behind.

Article Link

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
Yay -- I am Austrian and live there 50% of the time...

If I get it unlocked should I be able to use the same physical device with both a US plan (for the times I am here), and with an Austrian plan, right? Or are the devices for Europe and for the US physically different in any way? I assume the European ones are also still using Edge??

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
great new for all those waiting. Can the irish use this in UK's t-mobile (starbucks) WIFI spots for free?

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
This is good. The more places the iPhone is launched, the better. I think it is crucial for Apple to continue slowly launching the iPhone in new areas, even if they continue to put the majority of their focus on the states. Hopefully the sales will be good.

lukasgardiner

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2004
Toronto
canada...

that canada does not yet have the iphone is beyond ridiculous. really says something (awful) about our mobile providers... seriously.

J

jmadlena

Well 3 years isn't that far off :rolleyes:
I would plan on freezing myself in the icy Colorado winters so I don't have to wait for the iPhone, but I have AT&T, so no waiting is necessary. Plus I could end up in the year 2546 with a bunch of atheists, and that would totally suck.

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
Iphone/tmobile in US soon?
Don't see it happening soon. If you really want the iPhone, I would recommend either buying an unlocked iPhone or switching to AT&T. Certainly not a handful of options, but if it came down to one of those or waiting 3 years, I would do one of those two.

ebouwman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Canada
I would plan on freezing myself in the icy Colorado winters so I don't have to wait for the iPhone, but I have AT&T, so no waiting is necessary. Plus I could end up in the year 2546 with a bunch of atheists, and that would totally suck.
Well i could freeze myself in the icy mountains of British Columbia while i wait for the iPhone, it would work a bit better :p

that canada does not yet have the iphone is beyond ridiculous. really says something (awful) about our mobile providers... seriously.
Well it's not just the fault of Rogers, it's that VoIP company (that i forget the name of). Anyways, it's their fault to an extent, and apple's as well. I'm sure that there is nothing that Rogers wants more than to get their hands on the iPhone.

paulct

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2005
at least there is a possibility of you getting one. I live in Vermont. I have no options at all and none in the future.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Yep. rogers sucks. so does telus, bell, etc. I pay like $35 a month on telus and i dont even have caller ID!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.