iPhone Launches Today in China

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Associated Press reports on today's launch of the iPhone in China, noting several hurdles faced by the Apple as it attempts to tap into the world's largest market.

Among those hurdles is a lack of Wi-Fi functionality, a restriction that had been imposed by the Chinese government. The restriction was lifted earlier this year, but not until after the Chinese-specific iPhone lacking Wi-Fi had gone into production.
    The lack of Wi-Fi connectivity also puts the spotlight on the new Chinese iPhone's relatively high price, which may result in the new device competing directly against unlocked iPhone 3GS models with Wi-Fi that have been brought in from other countries. An estimated 1.5 million to 2 million such iPhones are already operating on partner carrier China Unicom's network, and new unlocked imports are currently selling on the street for 20% less than the Chinese model when purchased without a contract.
    Apple has so far refrained from offering public sales targets for the Chinese market. An early report claimed that China Unicom had committed to purchasing 5 million iPhones for sale on its network, although the rumor was quickly denied by a spokesman for the carrier.

Article Link: iPhone Launches Today in China

2. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Hopefully the enormous Chinese market will push AAPL to an all-time high!

3. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

And Chinese government control of the more "subversive" aspects of the iPhone in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 . . .

4. Chintan100 macrumors member

Finally.... :p

Apple is going to rock this quarter for sure...

I love :apple:

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

i would have thought the pricing would be cheaper in China for Chinese consumers. ie a more stripped down iphone with no wifi = Cheaper.

hell they are made in china, less transport costs as well and no currency exchange as well.

7. joemama macrumors 6502

What a terrible start to what could have been a fantastic launch.

First, there is no Wi-fi. Then the government allows it, which makes the iPhone already out of date, so people will hold off on buying one until the next version.

Second, there are iPhones on the street already that have WiFi and cost less.

People aren't stupid, no matter where they live.

I hope Apple does sell a bunch, but it doesn't look like they will.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah seriously; in this day and age? Hope China Unicom doesn't have extra low data caps for extra hungry data users. Jobs needs to use better persuasion techniques; though I understand the chinese can be a bit...difficult to work with a times.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Oh the irony. The country that makes the most 802.11 devices has such restrictive rules on their usage.

10. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

What if WiFi is re-enabled with a firmware update?
    ;)

11. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

I think this pricing is with out a contract? Guessing it is less if you sign one?

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

You do know this is from the Government, since they see it as an outlet they cannot control.

13. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Ouch. Now that's some unlucky timing.
    Who would buy a non wifi version with wifi versions around the corner?
    Again, ouch.

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I apologize if you're joking, if not - you're an idiot.

You can't re-enable HARDWARE that isn't there. Just like how my 2001 Toyota can't get "HD Radio" through a software update; you need a physical HD Radio for that.

15. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

A Communist iPhone. Maybe they will become a collector's item. Unicom should market that.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I knew that much.

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Good luck with the launch Apple and I hope the new Chinese owners enjoy the iPhone! :cool:

18. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

And I am sure someone could come out with an-add on that would have wifi in it.

19. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Its all about Tax

The prices is probably to do with VAT in China. I believe it is around 17.5% for electronic goods or at least it was when I purchased my camera lens. There is also a Sales Tax(Receipt Tax) depending on the state you are in. In Shanghai it is around 3 to 4 % depending on the retailer and the type of receipt they provide.

So 20% increase doesn't seem so bad when you put that in perspective. Imported grey market iPhones don't need to pay VAT or Sales tax which is why they can be cheaper than the Chinese models.

20. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Silly Chinese government.. :p

21. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I'm not so sure it'll (the iPhone) do that well over in China....time will of course tell.

22. cumanzor macrumors 6502

cumanzor

AMERICA **** YEAH :rolleyes:

23. iOrlando macrumors 68000

24. Ericatomars macrumors regular

The cell phones in China are like light years a head of iphone... And maybe Apple will see that people don't wanna be tied down by contracts with sucky service... If I have a great working iphone without a contract then why would I want to go to on a contract being tied down and no WiFi.. AND MORE MONEY?? Yeah.. No thank you... :apple:

25. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

I guess this clears up the Apple employees flying to China story.

Rocketman