Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091916-dan_mead_verizon_iphone.jpg

Verizon today announced that yesterday's launch of the iPhone was the fastest-selling debut in the carrier's history, even with the premiere occurring the middle of the night and limited to existing Verizon customers.
"This was an exciting day," said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer for Verizon Wireless. "In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history. And, when you consider these initial orders were placed between the hours of 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., it is an incredible success story. It is gratifying to know that our customers responded so enthusiastically to this exclusive offer - designed to reward them for their loyalty."
The press release notes that Verizon halted pre-orders at 8:10 PM Eastern Time yesterday, just over 17 hours after they began. The carrier did not, however, indicate how many pre-orders were taken.

General availability for the Verizon iPhone begins on February 10th, with the device being available through Verizon, Apple, Best Buy, and select Wal-Mart stores. Apple will allow customers to place orders or make reservations one day ahead of that general availability date.

Article Link: iPhone Marks Fastest-Selling Launch in Verizon History

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
So, to all my little Verizon buddies that always thought the iPhone wasn't all it was cracked up to be - you're the minority. :)

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Since estimates were 6-7 million this year for a Verizon iPhone I bet it was less than 1 mil. Still, it's a very good sign for Apple. With new revenue coming into Apple I hope they will reinvest it into taking the iOS platform to the next level.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
No surprise there. iPhone is only the best phone out right now.

I'm a mac guy through and through but thats debatable.

One could say thanks to brilliant marketing, iPhone has earned the perception of being the best phone out right now.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I haven't seen 6-7 million, but:
25 million quoted here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/201...iphonesalescouldhit25millionthisyearanalyst_1

15 million quoted here, after Apple initially saying 10 million, they were bumped up - with total CDMA production being 27-30 million units worldwide:
http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/18/cdma-iphone-shipments-could-reach-15-million-in-2011/

If they are making even 15 million per year, that would be more than 1 million per month, with 2-3 months under their belt, I would be surprised if it was less than a million.

Since estimates were 6-7 million this year for a Verizon iPhone I bet it was less than 1 mil. Still, it's a very good sign for Apple. With new revenue coming into Apple I hope they will reinvest it into taking the iOS platform to the next level.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

One could say thanks to brilliant marketing, iPhone has earned the perception of being the best phone out right now.

I don't think so... yes, there are some nice alternatives out there, but I think overall the iPhone is the most refined and best value. At least if I get an iPhone I know it will be supported for at least a few years.... buy a Motorola device or Samsung and when that model is replaced, the old ones are ignored. This is Apple's advantage, besides the iPhone and iOS being a very nicely refined device.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

It's not like there were better phones when the iPhone was first introduced. It took years before there was the first credible competitor. It may be debatable by now that there's a better phone out there, but the iPhone stands against this other phone based on its earned reputation and not marketing.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I bet they feel stupid for making fun of the iphone with their little Droid Does commercials now. Droid just got done in :p

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I don't think so... yes, there are some nice alternatives out there, but I think overall the iPhone is the most refined and best value. At least if I get an iPhone I know it will be supported for at least a few years.... buy a Motorola device or Samsung and when that model is replaced, the old ones are ignored. This is Apple's advantage, besides the iPhone and iOS being a very nicely refined device.

though i love my iphone 4, i cannot say its the best phone out there. without a jailbreak i would not be the happiest camper. though the OS is refined, it is dated. i will be getting the iphone 5 regardless, but we all need to understand the iphone 4 is still 9 months old.

a great accomplishment for VZ and apple nonetheless.

fink8

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
"It is gratifying to know that our customers responded so enthusiastically to this exclusive offer - designed to reward them for their loyalty."

Really? Designed to reward their customers for their loyalty? Not to reward your company with smoother pre-order and delivery not to mentioned extended contracts and untold sums of cash? I think they're on to something.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Or user experience and integration into the apple ecosystem. Naaaaaa that wouldn't make a good smart phone.

Before iPhone people go crazy. it's only ONE device. Android probably sold 9 billion when u combine all devices on initial launch.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
I wonder how many At&t iPhone users switch just because of the hype after so many years. Apple does make things into some sort of big and magical event.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I haven't seen 6-7 million, but:
25 million quoted here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/201...iphonesalescouldhit25millionthisyearanalyst_1

15 million quoted here, after Apple initially saying 10 million, they were bumped up - with total CDMA production being 27-30 million units worldwide:
http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/18/cdma-iphone-shipments-could-reach-15-million-in-2011/

If they are making even 15 million per year, that would be more than 1 million per month, with 2-3 months under their belt, I would be surprised if it was less than a million.
I was going by memory so I was probably wrong, although analysts tend to be way off, too. Still I think selling 1 million in less than a day seems unlikely. It is such a milestone figure that if it was reached it probably would have been something they would tout.

meelash

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Somebody find out what the last fastest launch was of Verizon and you'll have a good estimate.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005

Android has a lot of potential, but right this minute the iPhone is still top of the heap. Android suffers from lack of consistency--the usual open source code problem. I have no doubt that someone will someday make a phone that rivals or beats the iPhone based on Android, but someday isn't quite here yet.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
all these people are gonna moan and groan in June if iPhone 5 comes out. Luckily i have another line i can upgrade to iPhone 5 and then swap the phones :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.