Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I suspect that poor sales may have had something to do with the poor availability and non-existant marketing (at least around here).

I'll try to hunt down a Mini again when it comes time for my next phone. I didnt get one last time because I couldnt find one locally and needed a phone at that moment.

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I find it unlikely that Apple would just abandon this entire demographic. The iPhone SE will probably, basically, be an iPhone 16 Mini -- they'll wait and let demand pent up to make it worth it.

I mean, why wouldn't they do this? It's a bigger display than the current SE which is a hit product.
It occurred to me this week how great it is that Android exists and actually pushes Apple a little bit. They'd swoop right into this vacuum if Apple leaves it

Why would anyone buy an iPhone 16 if the iPhone SE looked exactly the same (size)? I suspect that would cannibalize sales
People's main reason for buying a phone is based on the OS not the size of the phone. You're not going to switch to android because of you have to use a bigger phone.

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Problem with the mini is the screen is too small

This is only an issue if you do a lot of stuff on your phone. For any serious computing task (or even just writing an email or watching a video), older nerds like me will vastly prefer to just use a laptop or desktop. Even the biggest phone screen is still cramped. I loved my iPhone 6, that tiny screen comfortably handled everything I wanted from a phone.

Sadly it's a small market. For most people these days, the phone is their primary computing device. But I would have loved an iPhone 15 Pro mini.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The main problem with the mini is its name. I’ve had a few experiences with other people to conclude the mini is larger than people presume it is and many if not most who decide they don’t want a “mini” say so largely because of its unfortunate name.

If you ask women which boyfriend you’d prefer: tall, medium or small very few if anyone would choose small, but if you told them that small is 6 feet, the medium one is 7 feet and the tall one is 8 feet then good number of them would change their mind. Remove the mini name and just call it iPhone and give it to many people to hold and try and I’m confident you’d get a decent amount of people who like the size of it.

Last edited:

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I have a 12 mini. My wife, daughter, and mother all have the 13 mini. We love them. Our other family members haven't purchased a mini because it still costs too much for them. Keep the 13 mini around and drop it by $100 and we are buying 2 more that day to replace SE first gens and looking to buy them again next time we need a phone for all of us. Mini's don't sell well because their cost is too close to bigger/better phones - my opinion anyway.

Shukuun

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2022
People's main reason for buying a phone is based on the OS not the size of the phone. You're not going to switch to android because of you have to use a bigger phone.
Not true for me. I usually go based on camera, storage, price.. Pixels were my go-to phones for awhile because of that and the vanilla OS over Samsung. I liked the idea of the 13 mini and if it had a better camera for zoomed shots, I probably would have hopped over to an iPhone and gave them a try. A tiny portable camera phone in my pocket sounds ideal for randomly wanting to snap pictures of wildlife.

samuraiQ

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2016
Japan
I want this!!
Apple-iPhone-SE-2018-iPhone-X-4.jpg

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
Not true for me. I usually go based on camera, storage, price.. Pixels were my go-to phones for awhile because of that and the vanilla OS over Samsung. I liked the idea of the 13 mini and if it had a better camera for zoomed shots, I probably would have hopped over to an iPhone and gave them a try. A tiny portable camera phone in my pocket sounds ideal for randomly wanting to snap pictures of wildlife.
Great, that's you, but you are not the average buyer. Just like I will easily switch from Android to IOS buying the flagships, just because I do this does not mean most people do this.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Great, that's you, but you are not the average buyer. Just like I will easily switch from Android to IOS buying the flagships, just because I do this does not mean most people do this.

It's a pain for most people to switch ecosystems.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
We have 2 iPad minis and 2 Mac minis. The name is fine.
The name is not fine. iPhone is a different category and I’ve tried to convince a girl she needed to try an iPhone mini but she was adamant “I don’t want a mini iPhone” but I pushed and pushed and eventually she listened and went and held one and she said it was much bigger than she predicted and that I was right after all. She only did this because I pushed the issue. On other occasions my niece held my 12 mini (knowing it was a mini) and she was visibly surprised and said, “oh, it’s not actually mini”. I’m convinced the name is wrong.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I am very good with my Mini until Apple release flip and fold phones.

We are entering a differently phone period soon. Apple are working on new flip and fold phones.
My iPhone Mini is confident and encouraged until some phone that is worthy to replace it in size comes 😤

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The name is not fine. iPhone is a different category and I’ve tried to convince a girl she needed to try an iPhone mini but she was adamant “I don’t want a mini iPhone” but I pushed and pushed and eventually she listened and went and held one and she said it was much bigger than she predicted and that I was right after all. She only did this because I pushed the issue. On other occasions my niece held my 12 mini (knowing it was a mini) and she was visibly surprised and said, “oh, it’s not actually mini”. The name is wrong.

I often wish that there was an iPhone 5 - sized current iPhone. I have one that I use as a music player from time to time and I'd use it as a phone but it is locked to a carrier which I'm not with now. It is mini-sized compared to most else out there and I don't think that the name is a problem. When you go into the store and you see it on the stand, you can look at it and visually compare it to the other models to determine which you want.

K5689

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2023
I just need a small phone! Normal is too big in my hands and pocket. Would be disappointed if apple discontinues the mini. I might even prefer stand alone Apple Watch with cellular if it can last one full day with 2 hours of phone use per day.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just need a small phone! Normal is too big in my hands and pocket. Would be disappointed if apple discontinues the mini. I might even prefer stand alone Apple Watch with cellular if it can last one full day with 2 hours of phone use per day.

I went from the 7+ to the 13 mini because I'm a runner and don't like the excess weight of larger phones. I've had difficulty fitting them into running shorts pockets too. I still have the iPhone 7+ and it has its own line but I only carry it around when I think that I need a backup phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.