Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone Nano Coming in June, But Not to United States?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

DigiTimes highlights a report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News stating that two chip manufacturers, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and United Microelectronics Corporation, are expected to receive chip orders for Apple's rumored iPhone nano. The report states that orders would likely come in March, leading to a June release of the iPhone nano at the earliest.

Meanwhile, American Technology Research analyst Brian Marshall believes that the iPhone nano will not initially be launched in the United States. According to Marshall, wireless industry insiders have confirmed that the device is not yet being tested by AT&T, suggesting that US customers will face an indefinite wait for the new device. Marshall also speculates that China may be an ideal market for the iPhone nano's initial release.

"Obviously, the best-case scenario here would be a China launch (~600mil+ wireless subscribers total in the country), but we have no definitive knowledge of this and are working on identifying the local of launch and other pertinent details," he said.

The rumored iPhone nano has been the subject of considerable discussion since mid-December, when iDealsChina published details of the device based on a silicone skin produced by case manufacturer XSKN. Vaja quickly followed suit by adding an entry for "iPhone nano" to their list of case offerings. While these developments led to speculation that the iPhone nano would be released at last week's Macworld Expo, some analysts tempered expectations with information that, while the device is on the way, it would not be ready for a Macworld introduction.

Article Link: iPhone Nano Coming in June, But Not to United States?

corvus

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
ATT Not Testing?

...wireless industry insiders have confirmed that the device is not yet being tested by AT&T...

That's because it's going to be unlocked. How's that for an unsubstantiated, unverifiable, totally useless rumor. Hum? :D

Comment

fontman

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Great , I american company that dose not.

It would be sad to see a america company deliver products to other counties first. But it isnt there first time shinning their loyal customers here in the states.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'm not seeing this at all. It makes no sense to me. I guess it is possible but I'm going to say that it is extremely unlikely.

Comment

dwardin9

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Clear Lake, IA
It will definitely come to the US, if released

Apple would not release a new product only overseas. This is Apple people. Cupertino, California. Enough said...super excited. To tide everyones enthusiasm. My own gimp mock up.

Attachments

• nanofied1.jpg
    nanofied1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 366
Comment

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
What Kind of BS is that, but if this happened it so weird and stupid ... :confused: well at least I dont understand reasons for that or maybe Apple dosent wont to have relationship with att only, thats why they will wait until contract expires and than introuce iPhone nano or whatever for all carriers.

Comment

GT500Shlby

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I highly doubt there will be an iPhone nano. They will probably just use the smaller and more efficient parts in the regular iPhone to create extra space for higher memory capacities and larger, longer lasting batteries. :apple:

Comment

BVeritas

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
This makes sense for China, India, and Africa where 3G is just starting to get rolled out and GPS has no context. More importantly, the price is out of the reach (in India due to import duties) for most of the residents.

So the iPhone nano would be a 2G iPhone with no GPS. It could thus be smaller, but would keep the same number of pixels and the keyboard would become landscape. This would allow all apps in the App Store to run without change.

Comment

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
They said the same thing about the 3G iPhone. Stupid.

It will launch in the US first. They will announce it and then AT&T will begin testing it. We went through the exact same thing a year ago... :rolleyes:

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It would make sense to attempt other markets where people can't afford Apple products easily...

Product support and service in most countries stinks. Companies are either too distant or too pompous, so if any company wants to force open a market using a decent business plan it would make sense.

Apple releasing a NON-US product is unprecedented, so it is doubtful.

I still think anything like an iPhone nano isn't going to be much of a market solution for Apple until they get online with carriers that cover the entire nation. AT&T is just too limited.

Comment

john7jr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
Rumors like this (and the G5 PowerBook) are like the end of the world rumors. The source is certain it's going to happen soon, unless it doesn't, and in the event it doesn't then it will certainly happen next season.

Comment

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I find it very difficult to believe that the iPhone nano would be released outside the US first.

I do not find the concept of an iPhone nano difficult to believe.

Eric

Comment

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Why release a new mobile phone in a country suffering from a severe economic downturn with a saturated mobile phone market, it may make sense to release a cheaper version abroad first, especially in Asian and African markets this may be successful. Firstly people in those markets have a demand for premium branded items at a lower price, thats why fake goods sell so well in places such as China, secondly they're mobile phone market isnt yet saturated, with huge demand still in place.

Comment

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
That's because it's going to be unlocked. How's that for an unsubstantiated, unverifiable, totally useless rumor. Hum? :D

We can only hope.

Regarding a release outside of the U.S., contrary to the USA-centric view Americans may have, a lot of electronics are released elsewhere (Europe and Asia) before being released in NA, and some never even make it to NA. It's easier to solve problems in smaller markets, logistically and geographically. Now, for a U.S. based country to do so would be interesting, but all of the mfg is already overseas, so it could be plausible.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.