iPhone nano - don't just dismiss it as a silly idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dominicrusho, Dec 23, 2008.

1. dominicrusho macrumors newbie

Hello world,

The iPhone nano. It is just a rumor for now, and I know a lot of you hate it already (I can't see why!), but pause for a second, and consider the oppurtunities apple could open up IF they released it.

Steve first conquered the HDD mp3 player market with iPod - then he conquered flash territory with the Mini. Now apple have had enough success in the smart phone market with the iPhone, a venture into the "Dumb" phone market seems viable.

For example, imagine the countless teens and children who would want a cut down version of the iPhone if released. If it was cheaper, it would almost certainly sell like hot cakes instantly.

It could include the following apps:
    - iPod
    - SMS
    - Phone (duh)
    -Camera
    -Photos
    -Calc.
    -Notes
    -Settings

Why these? Well, for starters, a cut down version of the iPhone wouldn't need 3G - there just wouldn't be any point. No internet - no data plan, cheaper for kids, moms, non business folk.

Like another user stated before, the combo of a touch screen ipod and a simple phone would be enough to settle the deal for most "casual" people, who dont need the internet on the go. My mom has an iPhone 3G - but she has never used the browser on it - she didn't even know what Safari was!

As for the device itself - make it in funky colors - green, pink, blue red etc. and the Nano crowd would instantly jump to it.

Oh and the keyboard problem - well, if all of the apps which required the keyboard could run in landscape mode, the problem is cured slightly.

Software - no app store, no itunes. The software is a modified version of the iPhone OS, albeit cut down - more of a baby BABY version of OSX!

Pricing? £50 for a 4GB on a £15 a month, or £150 for a pay and go version. 4GB seems about right - probably cheaper to manufacture.

Anyhows, you'll probably flame my comments here, but I am one of the few who would LIKE to see an iPhone Nano released!

2. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Did you even bother to read any of the literature on why people think it's not going to happen?

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

I really don't see why so many people hate the idea of one. Not everyone wants to carry around a 3.5 inch screen iPhone, some people would prefer a smaller iPhone device. :apple: I'm all for the idea! And I hope in less than 2 weeks, these speculations turn into reality.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Ill say this, as i've said in every other thread.

If there was to be the iPhone nano announced, don't you think STEVE JOBS would have done this HIMSELF?

There will be no iPhone nano. If Steve was doing the last keynote, then maybe this would be a possibility, but since he isn't doing it, there is nothing big at Macworld.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
    ES IST NICHT PASSIEREEN!
    NO VA A PASAR!
    IL NE VA PAS ARRIVER!

There no chance for confusion.

Don

6. dominicrusho thread starter macrumors newbie

I KNOW ITS JUST A RUMOR!

God! Oh well, i was kinda expecting a response such as this. And all the other speculation about "why its almost certainly never going to happen" are all just speculation as well.

Either you'll all be right, and no iPhone nano ever existed - or I'll be sat there in Jan laughing my ass off.

Either way, it should be fun!

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So they would remove two revenue streams for vanity sake?

8. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Basically there's a million problems they'd have to solve and not much reason to make one in the first place.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No offense, but if you're actually going to laugh your ass off at us because we think the product that doesn't and won't exist is a stupid idea then you're pretty sad. You should have expected dick responses because this is the 9th thread (by my count) on this very topic.

10. dominicrusho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, good point.

However, its not just for vanity's sake.

There just wouldnt be any need to. Why complicate it any more?

The iPod Nano and Classic have no on board store to purchase music - but they still sell.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This post copied from the 2002-2006 threads where people adamantly dismissed the possibility of an Apple branded phone ever existing.

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But do you think they would take the apps out of a mobile device? The two apps that make them money?

The Nano or Classic do not have a cellular modem or Wifi in them.

13. dominicrusho thread starter macrumors newbie

Pshhh. Its never going to happ...

Oh, sorry, it did!

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Read the other threads on this topic. Your making yourself look dumb.

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

The person who posted that joined in 2008 :confused:

16. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

It actually makes sense to me.

Sell a Phone (SMS, camera) that has and iPod (4GB and 8GB) and the added features of multi touch and target it to kids, moms, casual users, people who want cheap phones, etc;

It wouldn't even need data. Just the ability to text, talk, and sync pictures and music.

You say it's stupid, but a phone like this would outsell every slider and Razr type phone on the market if it was sold for $70-80.

And if you want any more features... get the big iPhone (which would be in 16GB and 32GB).

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!!

The iPhone Shuffle will be released at MWSF '09!!!!
    14iitmq.jpg
    "Who will it call next? No one knows!"

Don

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The poster was simply saying that, prior to the iPhone, many people adamantly denied Apple would ever make a phone. I'm sure there were iPhone rumours that got the exact same sort of "it will never happen" replies that the Nano is getting these days.

I'm sure lots of people said the same thing about Apple ever switching to Intel chips, or putting video on the Nano, or any number of other things Apple has done.

Quite honestly, I think the people that are convinced Apple will not do something are deluding themselves. I don't know if Apple will ever produce an iPhone Nano, but I do know that they have a habit of doing things people thought they never would. Saying they'll "never do something" is pretty silly, unless you're Steve Jobs.

And I'm pretty sure even Steve Jobs said they'd "never" do video on the iPod... ;)

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So should we just be open to any rumor and not scrutinize it because ......hey it could happen?

20. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I hope it calls me..

21. dominicrusho thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly what I was trying to say! Guess it didnt get across as well as I hoped...

22. Oshymandias macrumors newbie

1. That should be "You're". Always best to check (or learn) punctuation before accusing others of looking dumb.

2. I don't think the OP is making himself look dumb; on the contrary, those categorically asserting (in four languages!) that there will not be a nano are only giving hostages to fortune. I look forward, like OP, to laughing my ass off come the new year. :)

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Scrutinise all you like. But it would be rather foolish to say that it will never happen period. Scrutinising and dismissing outright are two completely different concepts.

24. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Not everyone is dismissing.

EDIT: Guess a Pippin rumor would be fun right now :D