Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
@crmcm

My two previous phones were an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. They were rock solid and required no replacements or fixes. That is why I continued to go along with Apple. But it seems their quality control is taking a huge turn for the worse. Or maybe I'm just hella unlucky.

@jldesutter83

Yeah, the home button works. I definitely am nitpicking at this point :/
But like I explained before, what bothers me is the fact that I was sort of forced to go with this iPhone with a faulty home button that my previous three didn't have.

please, every launch there are sob stories here of new account people exchanging iphones a dozen times and how apple's quality standards are crap. yet i've never met a person who has actually done this

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
The OP probably needs to quit Apple completely and get some Android device. The user experience and build quality will be better, and they will be a happier customer.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have a friend who did kept returning her slate iPhone 5 due to flaws in the finish. She went through about 5 or 6 of them AND an Apple rep even sent her a free iPod touch. No kidding. The last phone was found after the online rep called a local store and the manager agreed to open several boxes for her and let her choose her replacement.

After she chose it, she found another flaw. I told her to slap a case on it and forget it. Diminishing returns.

My husband got a flawless slate 5. First try. Then again, he wasn't obsessed with perfection.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
I'm sorry but I find this almost impossible to believe. If that many defective models were about more people would be reporting issues and journalists would be going wild with it.

You're either the most unfortunate and unlucky person in the world (I'd have become suicidal with that much bad luck.) or complaining where there is no problem or just full of it.

All I know is I've had my iPhone 6 for over a week now. Flawless build quality with not a single issue. Same with my iMac and iPod Classic.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I'm sorry but I find this almost impossible to believe. If that many defective models were about more people would be reporting issues and journalists would be going wild with it.

You're either the most unfortunate and unlucky person in the world (I'd have become suicidal with that much bad luck.) or complaining where there is no problem or just full of it.

All I know is I've had my iPhone 6 for over a week now. Flawless build quality with not a single issue. Same with my iMac and iPod Classic.

While the build quality of my iPhone 6 is good. I can tell Apple quality control has dropped just a bit. The "iPhone and FCC logos on my 6 are completely crooked. By like 1/10" ... It's very noticeable and I'm very OCD, but have yet to do anything about it.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
QC has been falling due to the numerous claims that the working environment in China is hostile. There's a reason why the work is done the way it is done. Realistically, if you're producing a smaller number of devices that are individually inspected for quality vs mass produced, you'll end up with higher QC. With working conditions in the factories getting more relaxed, massed produced iPhones are going to not have as stringent QC requirements which leads to these minor defects in the product. You're not buying a Vertu, it's an iPhone. It's meant to be used. That said, I would like for the QC to come back up to standard but sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make that oh so perfect omelette.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
please, every launch there are sob stories here of new account people exchanging iphones a dozen times and how apple's quality standards are crap. yet i've never met a person who has actually done this

While I know exactly what you are talking about and most of the time it's just people completely nitpicking...

Last year on launch day I bought my first iPhone 5c. That was September 19th. Then three weeks later I had my first replacement. Then 4 more weeks another replacement. Then 6 weeks another one. By then I've emailed Tim Cook and the executive offices have gotten back with me. Then I go through 3 more replacements before they finally give me an iPhone 5s to try and make up for all my time.

All of these 5c's had some kind of hardware issue. And while I agree with what you've said about people creating accounts just to complain around launch... Sometimes this stuff does happen and it's a real issue...

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I am always a bit cautious- perhaps overly so- when a new member takes the time to set up membership here to simply post a single thread without posting to any other threads.

When that's the case it is just about always to bemoan a new iDevice.

Hit and run posting, so to speak.

IdealTech

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
It seems some people are having trouble believing my story. And I expected as much seeing how I just created my account (I used to just lurk hehe). I had no reason to post because my past iPhones were flawless.

That aside, a lot of my friends HAVE gotten perfect iPhone 6's. Thats why I'm being rather nitpicky. But it seems I have the worst luck in the world :(

I can deal with dust, or a tiny dead pixel. But I simply can't stand mushy buttons.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
YHowever, it is an almost OCD thing for me when physical buttons don't feel as responsive (feels mushy or weird) as the intended design :(.

It's very noticeable and I'm very OCD, but have yet to do anything about it.

Its best to actually know what the hell Obsessive Compulsive Disorder actually is before spouting off that you have it or almost have it.

Having an iPhone replaced because of a defect, either real or imagined, is not OCD.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
It seems some people are having trouble believing my story. And I expected as much seeing how I just created my account (I used to just lurk hehe). I had no reason to post because my past iPhones were flawless.

That aside, a lot of my friends HAVE gotten perfect iPhone 6's. Thats why I'm being rather nitpicky. But it seems I have the worst luck in the world :(

I can deal with dust, or a tiny dead pixel. But I simply can't stand mushy buttons.

It's not a complaints or bug reporting problem. It's a discussion forum. You didn't have to wait till you had something to complain about before you started posting or make an account just to complain. Yes though, if this actually happened to you I'd say you have the worst luck in the world.

Still going through that many? If I'd gone through my second defunct device I'd have given up on Apple. I'm fortunate enough to expect and only receive top quality Apple products so far though.

LittaBill

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
I would do some rigorous and repetitive clicks on the faulty button to see if it gets better or worse. Perhaps the constant clicking will wear it in so it performs better. If it becomes worse you have less of a case to prove you need a replacement. I would lie in bed clicking the button with a pencil, eraser end to button while watching TV to keep my mind off having to click it up to 1000 times or more. Naturally the phone must be off so as not to drive it Siri crazy. Try it. You may just get it working to you satisfaction

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Have you had a friend try the button? Someone who will be brutally honest with you and tell you if you are just being over the top sensitive and picky?

For me, I would use the phone if it works. If/when it stopped working, I would get it replaced under warranty.

And I'd try to find ways to lower stress. Perhaps nice long walks on the beach.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
That's very normal for Apple and I am not surprised at all.

Lesson to everybody: Be patient. Never go to AppleCare or Genius Bar. If you find something wrong, return it within 14 days and order again. Repeat until you get one to your satisfaction. Once you go through AppleCare, you will face refurbished, repairs or possibly some asshat Genius or FRS who have lower standards than you and will reject your claim. This will give you more headache, I assure you.

Unfortunately, you will be wasting a lot of time but this is the price you will need to pay. You have to realize that in today's low standard of quality, you need patience and time to get a good phone, unless you have no standards. It's because of people's standard these days that manufacturers can cut corners and deliver phones with dead pixel and dust inside screen. You can blame the consumers as the majority have no standards these days.

Keep in mind that while you think your standard and expectation is normal, in today's society you are considered picky. That's very sad I know. So just be respectful, and polite and keep exchanging until you are happy. Don't cause a scene and you will get one you like.

Best of luck OP, I have yet to find a 6+ that's good still so I hear you. Just be patient next time and avoid AppleCare at all cost within your 14 day return window.

dL

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
That's very normal for Apple and I am not surprised at all.

Lesson to everybody: Be patient. Never go to AppleCare or Genius Bar. If you find something wrong, return it within 14 days and order again. Repeat until you get one to your satisfaction. Once you go through AppleCare, you will face refurbished, repairs or possibly some asshat Genius or FRS who have lower standards than you and will reject your claim. This will give you more headache, I assure you.

Unfortunately, you will be wasting a lot of time but this is the price you will need to pay. You have to realize that in today's low standard of quality, you need patience and time to get a good phone, unless you have no standards.

Best of luck OP, I have yet to find a 6+ that's good still so I hear you. Just be patient next time and avoid AppleCare at all cost within your 14 day return window.

dL

Yeah. I return stuff during the initial return period. It's just easier that way.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Do the posters in this thread go over all of their purchases -- clothing, electronics, automative, groceries -- with the same zest and zeal? Frankly, I think it's slightly absurd to expect utter perfection (whatever that is and however it would be quantified).

As one of the earliest responders posted, try building something like a house. You'd go absolutely INSANE (and broke) focusing on all the tiny things that do not matter.

Dust under the screen? Mushy button? I'm dubious that these are actual problems.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Mushy, soft, etc is subjective: you said in your opening post "it's works". Swallow it, move along and get on with enjoying your new phone. Or sell it and use the cash for a shrink. "Mushy" lol.

jaenicky

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Dude you can't ask for a replacement just because you don't like the sound of the home button, thats going to far. Apple gave you 3 replacements and still you're not happy, just give it up already

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Do the posters in this thread go over all of their purchases -- clothing, electronics, automative, groceries -- with the same zest and zeal? Frankly, I think it's slightly absurd to expect utter perfection (whatever that is and however it would be quantified).

As one of the earliest responders posted, try building something like a house. You'd go absolutely INSANE (and broke) focusing on all the tiny things that do not matter.

Dust under the screen? Mushy button? I'm dubious that these are actual problems.

Mushy home button, I'll give that one to you as it is subjective and on the picky side. As long as it clicks, there are always tolerances in different buttons.

But seriously dust under the screen is not an actual problem? I mean I can understand manufacturer's tolerance and imperfections but come on... even at Genius Bar they even wrote "debris under display" is considered a warranty item.

Standards these days.... all time low.

dL

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Apple has special phones just for your type
Each replacement has a little defect just to mess with your OCD

IdealTech

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
Update for all of you. I went to the Apple Store today and I spoke directly to the manager (as AppleCare suggested) and he very kindly offered to replace my phone for "cosmetic" reasons however it would be the last time my phone is replaced unless there is a hardware fault. Very nice of him to do that because I know I was being a absolutely beyond nitpicky about the home button.

However, the other problems I experienced are without a doubt, manufacturing defects that definitely should have been replaced.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Update for all of you. I went to the Apple Store today and I spoke directly to the manager (as AppleCare suggested) and he very kindly offered to replace my phone for "cosmetic" reasons however it would be the last time my phone is replaced unless there is a hardware fault. Very nice of him to do that because I know I was being a absolutely beyond nitpicky about the home button.

However, the other problems I experienced are without a doubt, manufacturing defects that definitely should have been replaced.

So what is wrong with the latest one ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.