iPhone on Verizon in 2008?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stang68, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

I have searched the forums and have found nothing about the topic. Do you think with the introduction of the 3G iPhone (hopefully this summer) Apple will also reveal they have bought out the contract with AT&T so Verizon customers can purchase the iPhone?

Lemme know what you all think and lets play nice. :p

Thanks!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say, Hell no.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sorry, not going to happen. For two reasons, Apples exclusive agreement with ATT and the fact that Verizon isn't GSM.

4. kster macrumors member

dont think thats gonna happen.

ATT and iPhone are in bed for a 5 year exclusive deal.

5. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, but do you think Apple is going to really sit with AT&T for 4 more years? I think they will eventually buy out the contract. Maybe not this year, but possibly next summer.

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I dont think so. Just my $.02

7. kster macrumors member

Apple and ATT are in a 5 year deal. if one of those parties wanted to leave - that would be a breach of contract.

ATT spent millions just to add visual voicemail to their network. Verizon would have to do the same, on top of the supposed "buy out" that you mentioned.

Keep in mind the reason why Verizon and Apple didnt work out to begin with. Verizon wanted their interface on the iphone - as well as verizon having a strong retail presence. Apple wants full control of how the iPhone gets activated (through iTunes)

ATT needs Apple more than Apple needs ATT.

8. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Agreed on that one. I just find it hard to believe that Apple will stay put with AT&T. Isnt Verizon working on a 4G network right now? 4G iPhone?! :eek: Haha j/k.

9. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I can't stand the interface on verizon phones though. I couldn't imagine, the iPhone has such a perfect interface and to ruin it with the verizon's. ugh!

10. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, i really dont know how Verizon would ever suggest that. I think Verizon is smart enough now to not interfere with Apple if this deal were to ever happen.

11. kster macrumors member

i would of LOVED Verizon+iPhone!

verizon will attempt to fight back with the new Voyager (meh).

heck even apple thought about buying minutes whole sale to start their own wireless plans. http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/magazine/16-02/ff_iphone

it really isnt about the network... iPhone could of gone with anyone, and still would of sold like hot cakes.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

13. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Can't Apple just make another "phone". and keep the "iphone" with ATT? Who says Apple can't make another type of phone for other companies? Is that in the contract too?

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

They COULD have gone with anyone, but now that they have chosen GSM over CDMA being able to use the iPhone on the Verizon network isn't a trivial matter.

15. kster macrumors member

iPhone is exclusive to ATT for the next 5 years.

exclusive:

adj.
    1. Excluding or tending to exclude: exclusive barriers.
    2. Not allowing something else; incompatible: mutually exclusive conditions.
    3. Not divided or shared with others: exclusive publishing rights.
    4. Not accompanied by others; single or sole: your exclusive function.
    5. Complete; undivided: gained their exclusive attention.
    6. Not including the specified extremes or limits, but only the area between them: 20–25, exclusive; that is, 21, 22, 23 and 24.
    7. Excluding some or most, as from membership or participation: an exclusive club.
    8. Catering to a wealthy clientele; expensive: exclusive shops.
    9. Linguistics. Of, relating to, or being a first person plural pronoun that excludes the addressee, such as we in the sentence Chris and I will be in town tomorrow, so we can stop by your office.
    n.
    1. A news item initially released to only one publication or broadcaster.
    2. An exclusive right or privilege, as to market a product.

16. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

From what I have heard, making a phone CDMA capable is not that hard.

17. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

verizon had their chance

Steve originally approached verizon about putting the iphone on their network, they wanted too much control over the content and interface so steve went elsewhere, aka ATT.

verizon, sprint and att all have their pros and cons, att has cool phones and a service technology that is adopted almost worldwide. Sprint has service in rural areas and the whole walkie talkie thing. Verizon has...an interface with a bunch of red and bad customer service.... least to my experience. Im glad the iphone is stuck with att for a few more years. But this whole game could change depending on who gets a hold of that wireless bandwidth at 700 mhz.

18. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

Haven't you heard

Verizon's opening up their network and allowing people to bring their own phones with their own software and unique interfaces. Unfortunately, iPhone would still be incapatible with Verizon's network, even if they introduced a 3g version.

I'd suggest waiting a year or two anyways. If Apple purchases any of 700 mhz bandwith (which current belongs to standard analog tv signals), there's a strong chance Apple will introduce its own network.

Alot of people thought the MBA would have WiMax and future generations may very will in order to take advantage of an Apple Wirless Network.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Its a complete change in the hardware it would use for the phone part. They would essentially need two different models of phones, a CDMA phone and a GSM phone. While possible, I really don't see Apple doing it, nor do I see the benefit. CDMA isn't nearly as widespread as GSM.

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not going to happen. Verizon turned down the iPhone initially.

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

FACT: The iPhone is GSM
    FACT: Verizon is NOT GSM
    FACT: The World uses GSM (for the most part)
    FACT: CDMA is just a way to allow for multiple streams of data on the same signal
    FACT: All 3G cellular networks are CDMA
    FACT: There are two competing systems for 3G
    FACT: W-CDMA is the basis for the 3G system that most GSM providers are using
    FACT: CDMA-2000 is the basis for the 3G system that most CDMA providers are using
    FACT: W-CDMA and CDMA-2000 are NOT compatible
    FACT: EV-DO and HDSPA/HDUPA run on top of the encoding scheme, but each is tied to a particular encoding scheme.

FACT: Verizon did not, and will not agree to Apple's terms
    FACT: CDMA (2G) systems require more internal space for chipsets and antenna (as evidenced by the RAZR v3c and v3m (CDMA) are thicker than the RAZR v3 and v3i (GSM).

Opinion: Verizon is a horrible system, and GSM was the best choice.

TEG

22. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

But the EDGE was not. It is so slow. I was on Wifi and my friend was on EDGE and I loaded the NYTimes MUCH faster than him. Is 3G near the speed of Wifi?

23. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No, Wifi is much faster.

And EDGE may be slow, but if Apple released a 3G iPhone tomorrow I wouldn't be able to make much use of it. There is no 3G coverage around my house or at my job. I'd suggest looking to see if your area has 3G coverage before getting too antsy about it:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

24. peterjeter26 macrumors member

Ok 3 reasons apple has a 5 year with at&t about what ever phones they make
    part of that contract is that apple is not allowed to make a CDMA(the service verizon uses) version of the iphone. not only that verizon said no to the offer from the beginning nice post i think we've caught a smart on

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why are so many people anti-EDGE? Yes, it's slower than WiFi and 3G. Well, DUH. As you just pointed out, a lot of people can't make use of 3G. Considering the battery life issues, I'm glad Apple is waiting to do it right instead of do it fast. EDGE has a much larger footprint across the nation. I sometimes think people forget that they're connecting to the Internet through a frickin cell phone. Considering that most DSL connections don't top 3.0 Mbps, getting about 256kbps is pretty good. If you compare it to a computer, you're crazy. It's all about accessing the Internet everywhere.

I'm personally waiting for 3G so I have it when I can use it, but don't hate on it so much folks!