iPhone on Verizon in Nov 2008

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrRogers88, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRogers88 macrumors newbie

I have read online that in November of this year Verizon will open up its service to outside phones. Does this mean that it is technically possible to replace the chip in the iPhone to a CDMA-EVDO chip and use it on the Verizon Wireless Network?

Thnaks for replies,
    MrRogers

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

No. Different systems for their networks. The iPhone would have to be revamped

3. MrRogers88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Revamped as in what way, like let verizon put their own OS on the phone please explain if you dont mid

MrRogers

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

ATT and Verizon use two different network formats.

5. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

LMAO is this thread for real? Or am I just dreaming. Verizon is the cripple master... It would be an act of God if they let someone elses OS on their network.

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

If I'm not mistaken, the hardware would have to support the EVDO network, which it doesn't. And you would then have to unlock this new theoretical phone because AT&T still has the contract for it in the US

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

AT&T is GSM, Verizon is CDMA. They are completely different technologies so the radio in the iphone will not work on a CDMA network.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

CDMA ≠ GSM

For all network purposes.

Thread over... basically.

9. MrRogers88 thread starter macrumors newbie

what i am suggesting is that the phone is jailbroken. once that is done open up the iphone and change out the gsm card for a cdma card. is that possible to do once verizon opens up its service?

10. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

No, you don't get it. The two are different network technologies. The iPhone's radio hardware isn't capable of accessing a CDMA network. Period. No amount of "jailbreaking" and "unlocking" will ever fix that.

And it's not as simple to just "open the phone up and replace the GSM ship with a CDMA."

You might want to alter the thread title to add a question mark at the end before you get everyone pissed at you.

11. MrRogers88 thread starter macrumors newbie

So even after verizon opens up its network i wouldnt be able to walkin with a jailbroken iphone and have them chnage out the hardware.because if this is the case then Verizon isnt exactly opening up its service like it suggests.

MrRogers

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Just go with my other post in this thread. CDMA providers don't use SIM cards, they don't use the same networks, they don't use the same frequencies, and they don't use the same protocols.

Verizon had their chance. Apple went to them FIRST. They blew it, and now they're eating paste.

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It has nothing to do with Verizon opening its network. Its network isn't compatible with the iphone no matter what you do to the phone. It's like trying to use a cable box with a satellite dish - it's not going to work.

14. MrRogers88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks everyone for responses, just wanted to clear that up for my own sake of mind since i read the article and was just interested to see if it were possible.

MrRogers

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon uses CDMA network. This is an old type of network technology that currently only Sprint, Alltell and Verizon use. CDMA technology does not use a chip based phone [SIM card]. Also, Verizon does not allow a phone without the crappy Verizon software to run in their network.

AT&T uses GSM network. This is a relatively new type of technology that only AT&T and T-Mobile use it in the US. GSM technology uses a chip based phone [SIM card]. AT&T allows any phone with any OS to run on their network, which is good for the iPhone as it runs Mac OS X.

=-=-=-=-=-=-

Jailbreaking only allows 3rd party software not approved by Apple to run on the phone.

Unlocking allows iPhone to be used on any GSM and only GSM based network. This means that any network in the world based on GSM technology is compatible with the iPhone.

A GSM based phone will NEVER be compatible with a CDMA network. It takes a hardware change to allow such change. Also, Apple won't produce a CDMA version of the iPhone for two reasons:

1. AT&T and Apple have a multi-year agreement.
    2. If Apple wanted they would have released a CDMA version of the iPhone for other countries with CDMA networks. However, Apple didn't and decided to stick with GSM. A very good example is Canada where only Rogers as a GSM network, while the whole country has CDMA.

Much clearer than that is next to improbable to be explained

16. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Let's get one thing clear here folks. Verizon does allow phones that don't use their crappy os. Last I checked, verizon offers blackberries and windows mobile phones, neither of which use a verizon os.

17. chinl macrumors member

By changing the card you mean opening the phone, unsoldering the radios, designing a new circuit board, and adding a CDMA radio. After that you get to rewrite the firmware to talk to the radio. If you can do this in your free time I suggest you go look for a job at whatever electronics company you want and start making serious money.

18. dancavallaro macrumors regular

The OS on those phones is different on Verizon, though. My dad has a BB Curve with AT&T, and I was recently in a Verizon store and their BB Curve has a much different OS (or at least a different home screen, I didn't play around with it too much).

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Mr. Rogers,

Let me put this in terms that you might better relate. Think of the AT&T GSM as your nice dress shoes. You wear them out of the house, when you are out and about and trying to impress. The are perfect for this and work well at it.

When you come home and take off your jacket and put on your sweater, what do you do with your nice AT&T GSM dress shoes? That is right you put them in the closet because the job now requires some nice Verizon CDMA sneakers. Your home is designed to work with the sneakers, and is not compatible nor comfortable with you walking around in your dress shoes.

So as you can see it would be like you decided to wear one sneaker and one dress shoe out of the house. It simply would not work.

This message is brought to you by the Letter Q.

20. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Last year, before the iPhone, I was on Verizon with a Moto Q. It had an extra app or two installed by Verizon, but the OS was Windows Mobile through and through. When I first bought it, it had a Verizon home screen, but it was just that, a home screen them. I was easily able to go into the menu and change the theme to whatever I wanted from the default, to any new downloaded and installed themes.

I'm sure the blackberry is the same way.

Their cripple, crappy os is what they stick in their basic phones.

21. oclor macrumors regular

Actually that is possible. Terrible analogy haha.

Try this. Lets say AT&T is a boat, and verizon is a car. You can't take the engine of the boat out, put it in the car, and drive your car on water.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just some corrections to this:

1. CDMA is the newer technology, actually. The first CDMA implementation was in 1995, in Hong Kong (Hutchison Telecom).

2. GSM is the older technology, having started in March, 1991 (Finland, Radiolinja).

3. In the US there are actually quite a number of smaller carriers (Cricket, US Cellular, NTELOS) that use CDMA. CDMA currently has more customers in the US than GSM. And there are about 257 commercial operators in 98 countries that use it. Granted, that's a small amount compared to GSM, but still not irrelevant. Think of CDMA as being the "Apple" of the wireless world, with GSM being the "Microsoft." :)

One last thing: 3G on GSM networks shares quite a bit in common with CDMA, but it is different enough to be incompatible. The core mappings, the bandwidth requirements, even the numbering systems used to identify handsets are very different, and there's no way to get even a 3G GSM phone working on a CDMA/EVDO network.

Also: The thing about Verizon allowing non-Verizon handsets on their network is largely a farce. They're allowing it only because someone sued, and they even got around that by allowing only handsets on an "approved" list that is controlled by Verizon. I bet you that list is pretty small.

23. LinMac macrumors 65816

It would be possible to change the chipsets used in the iPhone to create a CDMA/EVDO version to be compatible with the Verizon network. It is technically possible, but it is a hardware and software change so it would not be a small task.

24. chinl macrumors member

It is certainly possible, but not by a home user like the OP seemed to think. Apple could develop a CDMA/EVDO model for a future release, but I don't think it is likely -- at least not any time soon.

25. iNfowarrior macrumors member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.