Iphone OS 4 Beta 2 Bugs/Fixes/New Features

James.123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Post everything you are finding on the new os 4 beta 2. It would be nice to have all the stuff on one thread. Say what devise you are using as well!
Enjoy

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
New Feature:

Photos now has four sorting options along the bottom of the screen; Albums, Events, Faces, and Places.
There is a new way to set Wallpaper in Settings->Wallpaper.

Bugs:

Screenshots do not save to camera roll.
Photos seem to be sorted into Event albums named 101APPLE, 102APPLE, 103APPLE etc.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Awesome new app switching animation when using the switcher. At least twice as quick as zoom out-zoom in.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Bug: When sizing/moving a wallpaper, the default orientation is not centered, but instead 20% off screen.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I need a phone that works so I put it on my 2nd gen iPod and I can report that it connected to my exchange 2003 server without a problem. Slingplayer works, albiet with purple bars on either side of the video, MLB At Bat works including live streaming game video, Pocket Tunes works and Missle Command works. Bluetooth audio works although the volume can be controlled from the headset OR the iPod....it was only via headset before. No problems with wifi that I've noticed. It doesn't seem to hit the battery harder than with 3.1.3, also. From what I read that fairly abysmal first beta, this one appears to be a magnitude better.

One nasty bug....I was watching a baseball game and turned off the bluetooth headset and the thing froze in it's tracks. Oops!

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Already available in beta 1.
nope there was a bug in beta 1 which only showed albums, events and faces, I once had places showing but the photo app crashed when I clicked on it and I never seen it again but in beta 2 it's visible properly.

on my 3G I am still having issues accessing places.

BUG: not all images show on my lockscreen as wallpaper that would show on 3.1.3 and below and I have no homescreen wallpaper on 3G

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Does Bluetooth AVRCP skip/repeat work yet?
I can start and stop play with my headset (Sony BT101) but the skip/repeat does nothing at all.

It also gives me the message "iTunes could not back up the iPod 'Lord & Masters iPod' because the iPod refused the request". Which is cool...I won't have to wait 20 minutes while it backs up stuff I could reinstall from scratch in less time. ;-)

Oh...and you do NOT need the beta SDK to install it. You just need to do a Restore, not an Update.

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
It also gives me the message "iTunes could not back up the iPod 'Lord & Masters iPod' because the iPod refused the request". Which is cool...I won't have to wait 20 minutes while it backs up stuff I could reinstall from scratch in less time. ;-)
this means your either a windows user or running OSX without the SDK installed :).... for windows there is a supposed fix for backups in the release notes, I use snow leopard with sdk so I don't need to worry on my windows pc

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
this means your either a windows user or running OSX without the SDK installed :).... for windows there is a supposed fix for backups in the release notes, I use snow leopard with sdk so I don't need to worry on my windows pc
Heh...well, I'm not installing an SDK that you can't use to submit apps.

I should probably be more of a Windows user than I am. The Windows SDK's....full Windows or WinMo, release or beta SDK....is a whole lot easier to deal with than the spit-n-rolling-papers stuff Apple's been putting out the past few years. :p

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Heh...well, I'm not installing an SDK that you can't use to submit apps.

I should probably be more of a Windows user than I am. The Windows SDK's....full Windows or WinMo, release or beta SDK....is a whole lot easier to deal with than the spit-n-rolling-papers stuff Apple's been putting out the past few years. :p
this is my first dealings with apple's beta via a dev account and i agree the way they do this is stupid, I mean they don't issue an incremental update for the sdk they re-release the entire thing :rolleyes: 3gig download every two weeks (or you don't get to backup then restore from that backup) it would seem going by beta 1 and beta 2 and i just feel dumb founded (if thats the right spelling) at how apple managed to make the second beta more unstable than the first one lol I mean come on the first one had some proper issues going on but beta 2 takes the biscuit

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
i just feel dumb founded (if thats the right spelling) at how apple managed to make the second beta more unstable than the first one lol I mean come on the first one had some proper issues going on but beta 2 takes the biscuit
Very true. I'd expect bugs in the new features of any beta release, but the new features seem to be working pretty well. I don't understand why old applications like the camera (and the clock alarms, for me) are having problems.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Very true. I'd expect bugs in the new features of any beta release, but the new features seem to be working pretty well. I don't understand why old applications like the camera (and the clock alarms, for me) are having problems.
Maybe because the software everybody is testing is coded for newer versions of the native applications that have yet to be announced? Just a thought.

I realize this would sort of defeat the purpose of beta testing but perhaps Apple is already aware of the compatibility issues and is doing in-house debugging for the new set.

Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.