iPhone owners: Are you buying an :apple: Watch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dannyyankou, Dec 1, 2014.

?

Are you getting an Apple Watch?

1. Yes

30.8%
  2. No

45.9%
  3. Undecided

23.2%
  1. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

And if so, feel free to post which model/strap combination you want.

And I was going to post this in the Watch forum, but no one really visits it so I thought this would be the best place to post it.

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, Apple is charging too much, also the lack of GPS, water resistance and poor battery life all mean its not the right smart watch for me needs.

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Nope. I have a small collection of watches. Most of them cost more than three times the entry level Apple Watch. They're all mechanical. There's no way Apple's cheap gimmic is going to displace my $6k Omega (for example) from my wrist, especially when it's more than evident that Apple doesn't really know what the watch is supposed to DO.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Probably not but hard to know without it even being released. Apple doesn't play full out with 1st edition products. iPhone, iPod, iPad.. they all became great products the second time around.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'll be getting a black stainless with a black band, probably.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I'll definitely get one. I'm looking at the rose gold Edition, though I'll likely change the band since I don't like the white sport band, and the rose gray leather is too feminine for my tastes.

If the Edition is too expensive (more than $5k), I'll go with stainless steel with the blue Modern buckle.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'll really want an Apple Watch once I can use it to unlock hotel doors, board busses and trains, and pay for stuff in any store.

In other words, even if I kind of want one, it certainly won't be in 2015.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

No. Too bulky, too expensive and never buy first generation. Will become outdated quicker than smartphones. Until they can design a watch that is truly revolutionary, it's nothing more than a nerd alert stamped on your forehead.

10. runningtowin macrumors member

I'll consider it; depends what we get at that bottom price point and how (if at all) they'll implement upgradability (besides off-loading tasks to the iPhone).

11. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i'll probably buy a stainless one just for kicks. i normally wear higher end time pieces, but i wouldn't waste my money on a gold apple watch.

12. Coolkiwi macrumors newbie

Coolkiwi

I have a very nice watch now that works so until it goes on the blink or version 2 comes out of the Watch then I won't upgrade.

13. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I'm not getting one because I don't see the need yet. In the future, things could change.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Don't see a need for it, and I don't like the fact that its dependent on the phone for everything except the time. Hoping that future versions can be used as a stand-alone device and maybe then I might get one.

15. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Yep, I happen to be in the states next year with my wife and we're both planning to pick one up. I'm personally looking to get an aluminium watch with blue sports strap.

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

17. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I'd like the regular apple watch with the infinity band. Though rumors are for that one to start at 500, and I don't think I'm willing to pay as much as an iPad for a watch :|

I may consider the sport version though, depending on the battery life of it.

18. soufflegirl macrumors member

I'm debating it. I have a $200  gift certificate that I'm considering putting towards it, but it is a first generation device, so I'm not sure it will be worth it. I like to keep my devices for 2+ years - will have to see if the iWatch fits the bill. I don't have a watch at all either, so it will be an interesting change if/when I get one!

19. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

My Apple laptops, pads, pods and phones are very enjoyable and an essential part of the tech tools I use at work.

The Apple Watch? No chance. Not the slightest bit interested.

Price is not a barrier, it simply fails to bring anything useful into my digital world.

I already have a full selection of highly accurate training monitors for BP, HR , Oxygen Uptake, and other data points while cycling, swimming, rock climbing, kayaking and time in the gym.

I prefer to wear one of my Breitling Analog Perpetual Chronograph watches, than anything digital at any price point.

20. dannyyankou thread starter macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Based on logic from the front page story, 38% of the people in this thread want one, suggesting 91,000,000 million iPhone owners will buy one.

That's why I don't like when analysts make these estimates. The sample size is too small and people's answers vary a lot with so few people participating.

21. Mike Delta macrumors 6502

Mike Delta

22. KPOM macrumors G5

The front page story was based on a sample of 4000 which, if random, should give pretty reliable results as to intent. That said, simply extrapolating the 10% "very likely" into 24 million Apple Watches is a bit of a stretch, since we don't know details such as what watch that 10% plans to buy, how much of the 240 million iPhone base consists of multiple phones owned by a single customer, how much of the "somewhat likely" will become "very likely" and at what price points the nicer editions of the Apple Watch will sell.

23. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Too early to tell IMO.

Lets see what promises the Watch delivers on, the exact pricing structure, and it's reliance on an iPhone.

I also feel that the design is very first generation.

24. dannyyankou thread starter macrumors 604

dannyyankou

4,000 people/240,000,000 iPhone owners = huge margin of error.

Also, pricing hasn't been announced yet. It's dumb to take a survey this early.