iPhone Plus -> iPhone X Display Dissapointment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rjruiz2, Nov 6, 2017.

1. rjruiz2, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

rjruiz2 macrumors 6502

I just switched from the plus iPhone to the iPhone X and to be brutally honest after a few days I am a little disappointed.

First off, yes it is a shock going from such a big screen size to the X, but I knew that before I even considered getting the X. Yes I also knew about the aspect ratio and that technically you don't gain any real screen estate from the regular iPhone 8.

Second, is it just me or is the OLED darker overall compared to the old LCD? I did as fair comparison as I could with my 7 Plus and the X; using the same brightness, same video, same lighting conditions, true tone off, etc.. and it still seemed dark to me. However, I definitely appreciate the OLED technology believe me, the contrast ratio makes the display absolutely stunning; very sharp, blacks are blacks, whites are whites.

Maybe there's a setting that I am missing? But even with the superb OLED tech, I do miss the extra screen real estate of the Plus, a lot. I really hate that to fill the screen it's a zoom crop and no the notch doesn't really bother me. But after weighing out pros and cons, I am considering returning my X and getting the 8 Plus.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. maflynn, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use the enter key so we are not presented with a wall of text.

Bottom line is if you are unable to live with the smaller display size, then go back to the plus sized form factor. I for one went from an SE and found the extra screen real estate welcome, but I can understand the type of adjustment a plus user has to endure.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Get what works best for you. Not that complicated.

4. rjruiz2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was going to give it some time since I have until next week until my return deadline. I'll see if I will be able to adjust to the screen size.

And yes I'll adjust the my post.

5. latndude macrumors member

latndude

I have to admit that although I do love the new phone , I do miss the size of the 6s Plus screen , Mail , Safari , and just plain apps look smaller . The phone has tremendous advantages over the older phones , technically , and aesthetically speaking , but , the wider size and easy to read everything, and the keyboard specially , on the larger plus is to be missed by myself. So , perhaps in the new cycle next year , there will be an option of a larger ( just a tad wider new iPhone X plus ? ) then it will be just perfect for me .

6. Diorama macrumors 6502a

I’m finding a huge difference in feeling of size between apps properly designed/updated for the X display and apps that are ‘boxed’.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its funny, I had a plus phone, and loved the display but hated the form factor. I was always needing to accommodate the size, i.e., could not keep it in my pants pocket when sitting or driving. The pendulum went the other way and I got the SE, which had a tiny screen (in comparison), but it was a joy to use one handed. I'm liking the X which gives me near plus size screen size, but not the large form factor that I did not like

8. rjruiz2 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking myself, next iteration I hope they bump up the width form factor just a tad to truly make it between the regular size and the plus size would make the world of difference imo.

9. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/am-i-crazy-for-wanting-to-return-my-x-for-a-plus.2085365/