Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone remained the world's most popular smartphone by a significant margin last quarter, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

iphone_trio.jpg

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus were the two most popular models specifically, with an estimated 21.5 million and 17.4 million shipments respectively.

Chinese brand OPPO's flagship R9 smartphone trailed in third with an estimated 8.9 million shipments, while Samsung's mid-range Galaxy J3 and J5 rounded off the top five with an estimated 6.1 million and 5 million shipments respectively. Other brands combined for an estimated 294.4 million smartphone shipments.

most-popular-smartphones-q1-2017-strategy-analytics.jpg

Apple reported that it sold 50.8 million iPhones last quarter, but it does not break out sales on a model-by-model basis.

Strategy Analytics' estimates suggest the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus accounted for roughly 76.5 percent of Apple's smartphone sales last quarter, with the remaining 23.5 percent of sales derived from older models. The data also suggests a 55/45 percent sales split for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively.

In late January, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the iPhone 7 Plus is the most popular Plus-sized iPhone that Apple has ever sold, topping both the iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6 Plus. Last week, he added that Apple significantly underestimated iPhone 7 Plus demand, resulting in a shortage of the device for several months.

iPhone was the world's most popular smartphone last year as well, according to research firm IHS Markit.

Article Link: iPhone Remained World's Most Popular Smartphone Last Quarter

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My wife got a 6, I got a 6+. She mentioned that next time around, she'll be getting a + as well.

Once you try +, you don't go back. In the long term, I expect the + will outsell the other by a healthy margin, as more people are exposed to and able to try it.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
My wife got a 6, I got a 6+. She mentioned that next time around, she'll be getting a + as well.

Once you try +, you don't go back. In the long term, I expect the + will outsell the other by a healthy margin, as more people are exposed to and able to try it.

Well, I got a 6+ and swapped it for a 6! Horses for courses...

Reactions: Agit21

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The Plus model is what Apple wants the consumer to purchase. It's the more larger, expensive model, but to me, it offers a lot in terms of the extra battery, 1080 P display, and the dual camera was the biggest differentiation For the 7/7 Plus this year.

And Apple's marketing has been heavily geared towards the Plus this year as well.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
As always conflicting statistics depending on the source. Go to sites such as ZDNet and the story is quite different where Samsung have the upper hand.

Not of course there is any bias at all.

Does a different source estimate global smartphone sales by model and have a non-iPhone model at the top?

If so, I would be interested to know which model.

Reactions: LETSTRUCK

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
As always conflicting statistics depending on the source. Go to sites such as ZDNet and the story is quite different where Samsung have the upper hand.

I just checked zdnet and found nothing to conflict with that report. Further, a search of Google didn't turn up anything either. Regardless, it doesn't matter. Apple's iPhone sales are producing profits unrivaled by others. It's iPhone versus the undifferentiated Android devices. Many use the term "iPhone" to generically refer to smartphones. No other device has that cachet.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
The best sold Apple phone costs $649 for the base 32GB model

The best sold Samsung phone costs $92 for the base 8GB model

No wonder Samsung sells more phones than Apple...

Units are not comparable at all!

What's the point of selling many cheap phones? It is clear that Android OEMs cannot make it back in volume, because Google and Spotify are the ones taking advantage of Android's volume and not the OEMs. Google's not even taking that much of advantage of volume, because their store, with 85% of the marketshare of devices only makes 50% of what Apple makes, and YouTube Red, Google Play Music, etc. have been failures.

What's really interesting is that the Chinese can sell a more expensive phone than Samsung, the Oppo R9s costs $499! What a world, where a company that lives of the shade of Android being open source (no Google Play in China), can convince people to spend much more money than Samsung can! So many engineers, such a big company, so much money spent on advertising, and the result is selling a product like this:

print screen windows 7certificity.com

Their own costumers rate it 1.5 stars / 5!

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Not of course there is any bias at all.

This one appears to be catered to "our" needs for Apple to be #1 in rankings. It appears to be by individual model of phone, whereas other such surveys are based on which companies sell the most smart phones (of which Samsung tends to dominate by far). Another variation of this survey to feed the Apple fans would be "which phones are most profitable?" where Apple will win as well. Either are great for those that have a need to see Apple ranked #1 in a list.

Last edited:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Those phones are hideous! There's no way Apple will release something like that. Wait, what's that you say? Oh, these aren't renderings? OMG, those are beautiful!

Reactions: DevNull0

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If we are being honest, this is a worthless marketing metric. iPhone really had no competition last quarter, esp. with new Galaxy 8 on the horizon. This does not take anything away from iPhone, just that, well, duh.

What is of interest here is that the OPPO, which isn't marketed worldwide, has 8% marketshare. That is the marketshare Apple is trying so hard to lure in China. If Apple can whittle that number down that would be news.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Typical paid-for marketing disguised as research that cherry picks data and presents it in a way to benefit the payer.

Without the marketing spin both iPhone shipments combined is only 11% of total while Others is 83% of total. And, listing devices that haven't shipped is highly questionable.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Not really surprising, the iPhone came out late last year, so of course sales of it are strong in the following quarter. Samsung s8 wasn't even released in q1. Let's see the same chart for q3, just before September.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
It was interesting last year and early this year - LG's flop with the G5, and horrible marketing with the V20; Samsung's Note 7 debacle. These two were what deterred me away from trying out Android and going with the "safe" option of the IP7+, despite the lack of headphone jack and drastic changes in a lot of its components from the 6s. With these two companies now putting out a much better effort with their respective devices, it'll be interesting to see just how much this lineup shakes up, although I think at this point Apple has strengthened itself with its walled garden (Seriously, I tried to imagine using my MacBook Air without Messages).

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'll bet Q2 2017 will be MUCH DIFFERENT once Samsung's Flagships are accounted for. That's why these "statistics" are useless. Who cares that Apple sold more than anyone else when their primary competition didn't have a new flagship out yet?

Reactions: TechGeek76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.