iPhone Remains Flickr's Most Popular Camera in 2017 Ahead of Canon and Nikon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As it does every year, Flickr today shared its 2017 Year in Review statistics highlighting various aspects of the photo-sharing community with lists including the Top 25 Photos of 2017, Top Devices, and Top Brands. For the Top Brands category, Apple has once again beaten out dedicated camera makers with iPhones being used by 54 percent of photographers uploading photos to Flickr this year, followed by Canon in second place (23 percent) and Nikon in third place (18 percent).

Over the past few years, iPhones have been rising up Flickr's Year in Review rankings. In 2015 iPhones were used for 42 percent of the photos shared to Flickr, and then in 2016 Apple's smartphones retained the top spot again, with 47 percent. Apple first surpassed Nikon to become the second most popular camera brand on Flickr's 2014 rankings.

[​IMG]

The most popular iPhones used to capture photos shared on Flickr in 2017 were slightly older models: the iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 5s. In total, iPhones accounted for 9 of the Top 10 Devices of 2017, with the Canon 5D Mark III representing the only non-Apple product on the list.

The Top Device Types list has stayed the same over the years, but in 2017 smartphones have grown to account for 50 percent of photos uploaded to Flickr, up from 48 percent last year. DSLR came in second with 33 percent (up from 25 percent last year), followed by point and shoot with 12 percent (down from 21 percent), and then mirrorless at four percent (up from three percent).

Flickr has posted quite a few lists of photos recapping the past year, including the overall Top 25 Photos of 2017, Top Portrait Photography, Top Nature & Wildlife Photography, Top Landscape Photography, and much more. Flickr today also announced new partnerships for its premium Flickr Pro membership, introducing perks from Adobe, Priime, and Portfoliobox into Pro.

Those interested can read more about Flickr Pro here, and check out more of the best Flickr photos of the year here.

Article Link: iPhone Remains Flickr's Most Popular Camera in 2017 Ahead of Canon and Nikon

2. haunebu macrumors member

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

You're telling me the single most popular phone model on the planet is used the most for shooting pictures?

4. aking83 macrumors regular

aking83

I just use my iPhone X for photos , got rid of my DSLR camera.

5. djcerla, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:26 AM

djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Android users have too little time left for mundane things like taking pictures after fixing stuff and removing malware.

/silly

6. Razeus macrumors 603

It's not relevant.

However, I do use the service as pure and private backup of all my photos.

Free and full resolution.

At least until it's not.

7. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

That’s not hard on Flickr though, right? How many people still use that service? 12?

8. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

Flckr?! Isn't Instagram considered the definative photo sharing app nowadays?

9. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

For some reason "Flickr Pro" seems like an oxymoron.

I did use Flickr for a while to back up some photos but found it slow, and the interface was clunky. I might take another look at it since I still have an account. But I wouldn't be surprised if the advent of "Pro" means that the free tier eventually will be dumbed down.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Not really surprising given the popularity of the iPhone. I went on a trip and used my iPhone and Canon equipment. DSLR got shots iPhone couldn't even begin to capture. While iPhone easily got shots and videos that would not have been as easy in my DSLR. Options are great.

11. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Flickr is actually an amazing website for photos despite the millennials thinking Instagram is da bomb. If you care anything about the quality of photos then Flickr is pretty damn good. You can view/download full size photos from everything up to a 100MP Phase One camera.

12. TheShadowKnows!, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM

TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

[These are just my personal opinions.]

Selfies and phone cameras are the death of photography as art. And, twitter and blogs (or, even worse, vlogs) portent the death of the written word as craft.

13. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Of course none of 25 top foto's was made with iPhone. (Yes, I clicked through all of them.)
    What value does it have to know that 50% are crap mobile images?

14. neuropsychguy macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

The best camera is the one with you.

15. Avieshek, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

It's absurd to believe, all those Android devices out there, would click less photos (since it's a number game by Flickr). Then again, it's Flickr.
    Would like to hear these statuses from Instagram that people use than backing up

Now again, this might be Apple's limited 5GB iCloud storage as free for everything vs Google Photos Unlimited Storage the reason for why iPhone users in this age are on Flickr.
    There's Unsplash for that.

Hasselblad, Phase One, even Lytro Cameras apart from Leica, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Lumix are already there.

16. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Quantity over quality....? :(

17. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Please tell the people at Flickr that they have my close attention once in 10 years

18. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

tell me about it! The convenience of having a phone always on you is just reason enough.

19. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

People still use Flickr? That's the real surprise from it. I rarely use my Photobucket account and couldn't use RockYou! once MySpace became irrelevant. I now use Google Photos. Flickr has as much relevance to me as Yahoo!, Glass Door, DxO, and Consumer Report. Nil.

20. ViewRoyal macrumors member

Thank you for that fascinating prediction, Nostra-dumbass. :D

21. meaning-matters, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

... that works.

iPhone camera too often fails resulting in no picture.

22. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

I'd argue against the phrase "Most Popular". It would be more accurate to say "Most Used." I *prefer* the photos I can get from my standalone cameras, but I *use* my iPhone much more often for taking pictures, because I always have it with me.

23. azpekt macrumors regular

That`s where I am right now. I have Sony RX100M5, which I like - but deciding should I drop it and Iphone SE and go to Iphone X just to have one good enough camera, that`s always with me.

Because my small Sony is way surpasses any cellphone camera, but what`s the point if I forgot it at home?...

24. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Can't tell if joking or if you actually believe that's the reality.

25. ArtOfWarfare, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:56 AM

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

50% of photos on the website come from smartphones while 54% come from Apple branded devices...

That means a minimum of 4% of the pictures come from Apple branded devices which aren't smartphones... so... does that mean that there's an Apple branded Point and Shoot, DSLR, or Mirrorless?

Edit: Multiple people are mentioning the iPad. Which category are you thinking the iPad is going in? Point and Shoot? DSLR? Mirrorless?