iPhone Remains Flickr's Most Popular Camera in 2017 Ahead of Canon and Nikon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM.

1. bobdobalina macrumors 6502

In other news: Fidget spinners are outselling Sikorsky by a shocking margin.

2. Johnny London macrumors newbie

Is what Archer would have said

3. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Agreed. Cell phones killed the point and shoot. And many point and shoots have sensors as small as phones, so it's a no brainer since I always have my phone with me.

I have a proper dedicated camera and it's my go-to for when I deliberately go out to shoot photos. However, for my day to day life, my phone fulfills my needs. I don't think that buyers for DSLR's cross shop with cell phones -- just my $0.02.

4. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Photo sharing, not photo curating. I have both an Instagram and Flickr account, I have a 5s and a Canon 20D. Both have specific capabilities, advantages and disadvantages, and this will be the case until they figure out how to merge DSLR capabilities into smartphones.

Not to mention the fact that you can't easily save Instagram photos, they are as useful and have as high quality as those old Polaroid pictures from back in the days.

5. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

I have a found a great vacation combo is my iPhone+ and my D7100 with the 70mm-300mm left on. I can quickly get good shots in most situations without inconveniencing the wife too much :) Anything that requires zooming defaults to the DSLR.

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Nothing has actually died, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

7. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

crap mobile images .. photos isn't all about IQ, its about the memory. You can take crappy photos with a medium format Hasselblad only difference is that its a huge crappy photo saved in raw and 50 Megapixels.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:59 PM ---
    Could this mythical device be the iPad by any chance?

8. MacBebe macrumors member

9. jerryk, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM

jerryk macrumors 68030

As someone who owns a lot of Canon gear (1 and 5 series) and a large chunk of the L lens collection I say no way.

The more photographs taken, the better for all photographer. Tear down the priesthoods that require people to spend weeks studying the photographic triangle, lighting techniques, etc. Let everyone get good images they can share. This will prevent people from getting frustrated that their wonder SLR returns crummy shots and quitting photography. And as the quality and number of the images increases, it pushes people to take even more compelling images and push the boundaries of the technology.

10. adamjackson, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:43 PM

adamjackson macrumors 65816

I am honestly astonished to see these comments. Is MacRumors even used by Mac users anymore?

First, Instagram is optimized for mobile so if you upload a 20 megabyte jpeg taken off a Canon 5D, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's the same image on Flickr:
    [​IMG]

See how the text on Instagram shot is blurry, colors muted, more grey / fuzziness? If you're looking at this on a 3.5" cell phone, you're not going to see the difference. If you're on an iMac, you will.

...but maybe that's part of the deal here and why mobile photos and mobile photo sharing is so popular and why people think mobile photos are amazing. You guys are looking at photos almost 100% of the time on tiny cell phone screens. When you do that, you're not going to see any of the problems with Instagram.

Flickr is a site for photographers. I'm amazed there are this many iOS devices represented there because of the extra work it takes to send your crappy cell phone photos there. To top it off, there is no more Flickr community. and most people share photos in order to get likes, comments and shares. With no community, what's the point in using it?

But, Flickr is exceptionally powerful compared to Instagram. I can browse my photos by tag, person, album, location and they have integrated some smart search so it can pick up the photo has a dog in it so if I search dog, it shows up even if "dog" is not mentioned anywhere.

Flickr is not where I store my photos though. I have over 100K photos in iCloud Photos all JPEGs and another 100K RAW images in Lightroom. There are 25K photos on Flickr, full resolution w/ a watermark. These are my favorite photos, ones I regularly share online and link to.

I personally don't get Instagram. why would I shoot all day just to share one photo with people. When I upload 60 photos to Instagram, I lose followers. 60 to Flickr has never been an issue. And I still hate the iPhone's camera for anything but checking into beer on Untappd.

I'm not a professional photographer but Flickr is built for professional photographers and I've been a paid subscriber since 2005 and until Instagram builds up their website with albums, stats, geo-location and support for multiple photos (like thousands per album) with no compression that makes an amazing photo look ******, I'll keep using Flickr.

Here's my Flickr Profile. I'm not a professional but I'm really happy with what I've curated over the years: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/?

I don't even think until now that people would compare the two. It's like saying why use Photoshop when there are editing tools built into Photos for Mac. One is a library and another is an editing platform. No comparison.

My 5D + 2 Lenses travels with me everywhere. It's always on me in my car, on my bike, on travel, by my desk. I don't make money taking photos but I'm always the guy people ask to take their photos for Christmas, engagements, parties. I enjoy it a lot. It's funny that the people who say camera phones are good enough still call me to take photos of them that matter :p

11. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

Is there a more popular alternative?

12. adamjackson macrumors 65816

https://500px.com

They've stolen most of Flickr's community. It's a very well put together site...much better discovery, nicer UI and very fast to use. I still prefer Flickr for batch uploading and tagging.

13. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

Thx... ill check it out...

14. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

The problem is you're equating photography with gear. Photography is about combining composition + lighting + inspiration to create art. A good photographer is a good photographer regardless if they are shooting with an iPhone or DSLR. Ansel Adams comes to mind.

Instagram is not solely about photos, it's about telling a story with photos. What's interesting about dumping 60 photos on your Instagram followers? If I wanted to see 60 photos of something I would just google. When I follow someone on Instagram I want to see _their_ story told in photos.

15. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Well, had to do a lot of updates too recently.

16. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I have a niche group of people who have been following me for the 20 years I've been writing and sharing photos online. It's a small group who regularly appreciate the attention to detail and the higher quality. I'd prefer to have people spend half an hour a week consuming my story than being a blip on someone's feed of thousands of people. I'm happy with my workflow and love where professional tools are today. Apple has a lot of work to do. My iPhone 8 Plus is slow as molasses on iCloud Photos. In Instagram, the photo picker takes 20 seconds to load my camera roll.

Shout out to Flume. It's a Macintosh application that allows me to post to Flickr and type things out on a real keyboard. I don't follow anyone on Instagram I just use it as an additional syndication channel for people who have asked for it.

Also, if no one read my blog anymore, I'd still keep doing it. I legitimately love long-form writing, high quality photos and it's just a part of my life. The photos I take on a phone or the things I mash out on a virtual keyboard don't have that finesse or beauty that I'm used to.

17. accrama macrumors newbie

accrama

I used to be very active on Flickr, I even got to sell many photos to big names. The whole community has come to a stand still. People don't post as often, they rarely -if ever- comment if you don't post to a group that has comment-posting rules. The admins are doing too little, too late to engage the community and bring editing and engagement tools that are common in other sites or apps. It's basically dead, except for the most hardcore of photographers.

18. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

How depressing. We live in a world of Selfies, and Snapsots. Ansel is face down in his grave these days. Just like SJ.:apple:

19. jerryk macrumors 68030

I disagree. If you read through "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print" you get the sense that he was a man that enjoyed pushed the edges of what the technology could do. And someone who knew that being in the right place and capturing the image, was just the beginning of the process of creating his vision. Fortunately for us he documented his process in these books so other did not have to learn the hard way, like he did.

I think he would very impressed with these little cameras and the options they provide for capturing images. He would probably also be a master at Photoshop and other photo editing tools, and greatly enjoy the algortihms used in snapchat and other apps to make funny images.

20. neutralguy macrumors 6502

Because quantity matters.. who cares about quality.. whichever brings positive side of Apple, that matters!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:58 PM ---
    He also got rid of his computer once he got iPad pro.

21. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Well they also have much worse cameras in most cases
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM ---
    iPad probably. Or maybe MacBook selfies?

22. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

Yeah. We need a new metric.

23. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

Nah. I don't buy this premise. Sure, the internet has flooded the world with a lot of crap, selfies & fluff blogs, but it has also opened the world up to real artists as well. As an artist, i choose to focus on the later. Seriously. Why waste energy on complaining about all the selfies & fluff blogs out there, and just put your art out there? Life is too short not too.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Most surprising thing to me is that Flickr was still around.

25. cote32mt macrumors newbie

cote32mt

That may be true, but for what purposes?