iPhone Remains Flickr's Most Popular Camera in 2017 Ahead of Canon and Nikon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM.

1. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Can we talk about how the DSLR percentage went UP? The point and shoot percentage dropping down wasn't completely cannibalized by smartphones. Interesting!

2. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Most likely Android users have their own excellent photo storing/sharing service (Google Photos) whereas iPhone users do not (keep in mind that Flickr and Google Photos are free and iCloud is not).

3. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

It would have been hard to believe it if you told me that Apple would sell the world's most popular camera in 2017, when I first saw their QuickTake camera in 1994.

[​IMG]

4. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

I honestly thought Flickr was dead like AOL. When I did a MySpace reference comparing Android homescreens to it while iOS is more like Facebook, I had to think about the name Flickr because I completely forgot what it was called!

I haven't checked on Flickr in like a decade. I opened an account with them back in 2005 and rarely ever used it. I preferred RockYou! because it created slideshows that I could put on my MySpace profile. Too bad that site is dead now.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I used Flickr heavily back in the day when I had my Canon 40d with a Tamron 18-250mm. It was not bad in those days. Then it was monetized and the app to upload photos became unusable. I didn't like what they did so I moved to Google Photos (called Picasa back in the day) and never looked back. Now I have almost 100k photos there.

6. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Hard to beat the convenience of the camera I always have with me. ;-)

7. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Or it means there's a lot more art.

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Exactly. I never take my Canon 40d with me anywhere anymore. It attracts way too much attention in foreign countries, it's a huge pain to haul around, etc... etc... For the last 4-5 years, most of my photos are via my cellphones.

9. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

Yeah, point and shoots are pointless now. DSLRs still serve their purpose because they still take way better quality photos than any phone.

10. jujufreeze, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM

jujufreeze macrumors 6502

Sorry but even with an iphone X, picture quality pales in comparison to a DSLR.

11. citysnaps macrumors 68030

Strong photographs that are compelling to viewers have little to do with the camera that captured them. Rather, it's the photographer, his/her eye, life experiences, curiosity, imagination, ability to read light, compose, and much more.

12. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Not all point&shoots. For example, Sony RX100 and RX10 are still popular and offer much better PQ&functionality than smart phone cameras but they are expensive.

13. cppguy macrumors 6502

With its VGA resolution images? Why would anyone even bother sharing low resolution images like that? It's impossible to enjoy.

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I can't stand Instagram. So much advertisement on it now. Once your friends see you on it, they pretty much expect a favorite every single time you see any of their images. lol.

15. DoctorTech macrumors regular

DoctorTech

4% from iPad sounds about right. I see people using them at events from time to time to take photos.

16. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

A cool site I used briefly a decade ago was Stickam. It was another social network site but with webcams. That was pretty cool. I was on Friendster, MySpace, Stickam, and Hi-5. I was also still on YM. I didn't use Facebook and Twitter until 2009.

Flickr was no big deal. I think AOL left more of an impact on me since that's how I started when going online back in early 1998 as a 17-year old chatting with chicks online. Would hear that "you've got mail" after that dial-up sound. Then I watched the movie based on it.

AOL became like Meg Ryan's career after 2000. Flickr was always a tiny blip on my radar.

17. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

50% - smartphones and 54% Apple also means 0% Android (also considering the total share for dedicated cameras = 49%). So, Android users ignore Flickr but Apple users sort of like it.

18. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

I honestly thought Instagram killed Flickr. There's already a better solution than Flickr and iCloud...

19. zGene077 macrumors newbie

zGene077

You must be a great photographer then...

20. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

That and Facebook with their low-res images and JPEG compression. "Do I look like I know what a JPEG is?" I can't stand photo sharing or storage services that alter the image.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You may just as well say a McDonalds Burger is more popular that a gorgeous well cooked tender steak.
    Juts because more McDonalds are sold and eaten does not make it any better.

22. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

It's not better if you want your photos with all its details, flicker gives me 1TB for free which holds my DSLR images while Google charges $10 a months. What works for you works for you not for everyone, I want all my photos will all its details and not compressed.

23. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I don't even bother taking a DSLR or a digital camera around since the iPhone does a good enough of a job for me.

24. arthography macrumors newbie

yeah, in difficult situations with a DSLR (where I'd need extra hardware or preparation) my iPhone plus can get quite acceptable results!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM ---
    I do. But quick panoramas, good HDR in the camera, quick videos, it works well with the iPhone plus. The lighting has to be exceptional though. Otherwise you have a kind of a dissolving on the picture quality when you zoom in (the definition is still there but colours and structures are leaking into each other). A DSLR will take a perfectly sharp picture with any lighting, if done properly (preparation and hardware ...).

25. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

At the same time, a phone is just more convenient to use at concerts, at parties, etc. I have friends with high end cameras, so they normally use that stuff. For me, I just use FHD 60 FPS for videos and the standard picture mode w/ my X.