Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple 2.0 puts faith in a recent note by Gene Munster claiming that the pace of iPhone sales has tripled since the price break.

By Munster's reckoning, Apple and AT&T (T) were selling an average of 9,000 iPhones a day before the price reduction, which would have put their quarterly sales at 594,000 as of Sept. 5. The two companies had already sold 270,000 phones in the previous quarter. To reach 1 million by Sept. 9, they would have had to sell 136,000 more phones, or 27,000 a day -- a 200% increase.

It should be noted that Munster and other analysts were initially extremely bullish on early iPhone sales numbers, claiming that Apple had sold upwards of 500,000 on opening weekend. Such high expectations were unfounded, as Apple announced that 270,000 had been sold.

Munster's latest claims appear to be a little more thorough, with accompanying surveys of retail stores. Munster notes that such a large surge is not sustainable, and believes sales will stabilize at a 50% increase, or 1.28 million by the end of the quarter.

Article Link

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not surprising, its a huge difference (hence the reaction all around) and i think they'll continue to sell pretty well since xmas isn't too far away

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I am glad iPhone sales are doing so well. I think iPhone sales should be great all the way through Christmas and then they should drop off around the beginning of January after everyone has received them as gifts and went out and bought one with money from returned gifts. That is when I believe Jobs will announce a 16GB iPhone at MacWorld and possibly some new features like colors or something. To me that just makes sense in order to keep the demand high.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Apple actually stated that 270k were activated in the first 30 hours.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm not surprised - before the drop, I never saw anyone in an apple store purchase an iPhone while i was there -- since Wednesday, I see multiple iphones being bought just while I'm there for 15 or 20 minutes! On Wednesday when I stopped in to buy an iPhone after work, every person in the store bought one.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well holy ****ing ****, you mean when a highly desirable item drops in price, people are more inclined to buy it?! Blow me down and call me Sally, this guy must've gone to BUSINESS SCHOOL! :rolleyes:

In other news: sky is blue, and recent surveys indicate that death and taxes are inevitable.

klimegreen

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
curious

for those of you reading who didn't by iPhones... why? i suspect half of you thought the price was too high (it was) and the other half can't/won't move to AT&T (with some overlap). i bought my iPhone on Jun 29 and had it one week later (order online, it shipped to my house direct from China, btw) but could make the switch because my contract with Verizon was out. my friend wouldn't buy one because he is still stuck on a t-mobile contract, another friend bought one and did pre-pay (no contract). so readers, tell us, why didn't you buy originally and why will/won't you now.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
i have a right mind to mention that to the next aol service guy i speak to..

apparently AOL dont support macs.. lol

(btw im on aol because my parents wont switch) I will soon be on my student probably .0001mb connection in the halls :)

nick

last time i checked there was a version for os x i used it for awhile then just opted to use IMAP in mail

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
The price drop will make Windows users more likely to buy it because there cheap for the most part... still a $400 phone tho and most of them will still complain that it is.

shane1598

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
St. Louis
My friend dropped Sprint like a rock once the iphone dropped 200 and Sprints customers service pissed him off.

He bought a 4gb (first one had a touch screen that didnt work) and is very happy!:D

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
i just contributed to the iphone's booming sales.

i love my new phone.

So did I. I wasn't going to buy an iPhone, even at the $399 price... but went into the Apple store and after playing with one again, I talked myself into getting it. (Plus, my wife wanted my old phone anyways.)

I don't have buyer's remorse at all. I think I'm addicted to my iPhone more than I am my Mac.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm actually kind of surprised that Apple didn't pitch this price drop as a way to cover people's early termination fees. "We figured the biggest reason people weren't buying iPhones was because they didn't want to have to pay the fee for ending a contract early, so we thought we'd help offset that expense."

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I'm actually kind of surprised that Apple didn't pitch this price drop as a way to cover people's early termination fees. "We figured the biggest reason people weren't buying iPhones was because they didn't want to have to pay the fee for ending a contract early, so we thought we'd help offset that expense."

You may recall on the iPhone intro Steve announced the price with a question tone not a statement tone. Then Steve Ballmer of Microsoft came out with a seemingly extreme statement that nobody would pay that price or something.

Had the price remained firm in light of continued demand, Apple would have made out like bandits. As it turns out even the Reality Distortion Field has limits.

In the mean time Apple achieved double breakeven in a few short days, AND made follow-on coupon sales, which they could book immediately rather than over 24 months as they do with iPhone, just by offering a consumer rebate.

And it felt like a dividend too!

He does rock.

But he did not achieve the holy grail. "Over"charging by $200 until 10,000,000 units are achieved.

Sucks not to be god. :)

Rocketman

germ war

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Saint Paul, MN
Are you serious? People freaked out when they dropped the iPhone 200 bucks within 2 months. They would not introduce a new one until at least Macworld. :)

I am serious. The phone's been out for two and a half months and so far they've only released two "bug fixes" that didn't really fix anything. I want some additional functionality on my handset. I wasn't talking about upgrading the hardware.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I am serious. The phone's been out for two and a half months and so far they've only released two "bug fixes" that didn't really fix anything. I want some additional functionality on my handset. I wasn't talking about upgrading the hardware.
So you'll get the wireless iTunes Store by the end of the month (on your iPhone), no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.