iPhone Scores 92% Loyalty Rate in Recent Survey Ahead of iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

92 percent of iPhone owners that are "somewhat likely" or "extremely likely" to upgrade their smartphone in the next 12 months plan to purchase another iPhone, according to investment banking firm Morgan Stanley.

[​IMG]

Apple's loyalty rate, up from 86 percent a year ago, is based on an April 2017 survey of 1,000 smartphone owners aged 18 and above in the United States. It's the highest iPhone retention rate recorded by Morgan Stanley since an all-time high of 93 percent set in September 2015, when the iPhone 6s launched.

An excerpt from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty's research note distributed today:
    Despite reports suggesting "iPhone 8" mass production could be delayed by months, Huberty said Morgan Stanley's Greater China Technology Research colleagues have "not yet seen delays in the supply chain" and still expect new iPhone production to start on time for most components, including the OLED display.

"Nevertheless, we remain conservative in our initial expectations for iPhone supply," the research note cautioned.

Morgan Stanley raised its price target for Apple's stock to $177 today, up from $161, given growing confidence in its 2018 fiscal year "supercycle" estimates, along with a greater mix of recurring, high-margin services revenue, and a larger cash balance with potential for repatriation in the United States.

Article Link: iPhone Scores 92% Loyalty Rate in Recent Survey Ahead of iPhone 8

2. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

I wonder what loyalty-rate the Mac has since October...

All those people screaming "I'm movin' to Windows!"

3. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Those numbers are incredible.

It also brings up a (in my opinion) disappointing reality -- remember cell phone shopping back in the day? Each new phone you purchased was totally new. That's what made new phones so exciting. You might go with LG for one phone cycle, then you might go with Samsung the next. And then Blackberry. It always kept things fun and refreshing. These days, most folks stay with one operating system and (in Apple's case) one vendor, year after year. Phone upgrades are simply slightly better iterations of the previous phone.

That said, phones are better than ever, and they can do more than ever. We are much better off than we used to be with the phone market of the 2000's. So take what I said with a grain of salt. But it's just a thought.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

5. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

That and you get locked into that eco system... their is no cross-buy system.

6. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

They got sheep like me good

if I don't get/want iPhone 7S/8, I will just ride out my 7+ for a while,

will probably be tempted into OLED, but jailbroken OLED

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

bet they didn't.

8. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

It comes down to people being used the OS and the easy communication when other people around them have IOS.
    iMessage, Facetime etc.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

And all the users in between "somewhat" and "extremely" ?

I'm more of a "kinda" person.... sometimes "maybe" , though have also been a "definitely" in the past.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2017 ---
    My money is that the 2015 MacBook Pro saw impressive revival :)

10. otternonsense macrumors 6502

otternonsense

I can't help but wonder where do the surveys circulate and I've never received one in 16ish years of using registered Apple products.

11. mi7chy, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Biased source. Of course an investment firm like Morgan Stanley wants to put out news that benefit their AAPL portfolio.

In reality, many iPhone owners have already switched to one of the better devices like Galaxy S8, Pixel, LG G6, etc. or they're on the fence to see the new iPhone without committing.

12. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

But...but...what about the bezels...the big, thick, ugly bezels...? And the...the icons! The static grid of icons! And the same boring design! It's not the iPhone 7, it's the iPhone 6sssssss! And...and...and...watch bands! Fire Tim Cook! Jony Ive is a hack! 5200-RPM hard drives! Ughhhhhhhhhh!

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Anybody who uses a smartphone fully as a smartphone will not be likely to switch platforms willy nilly, regardless of how that person feels about that platform.
    Switching platforms is painful. Just take one app, whatsapp. Switching platforms mean losing all your chat history. On Apple, there are also iMessages and Photos where regular users will find it difficult to migrate to different platform.

14. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

I also want to know that, in units, because PC sales were down, and Mac sales were up.

Apple is losing the professionals. The MacBook Pro is a lie (actual The Verge title)
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2017 ---
    The door swings both ways.

Also with USB-C, Android has an advantage with Android, ChromeOS, macOS, Windows Phone and Windows devices sharing the same accessories.

15. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

That's still true for everyone who isn't an Apple user.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

This was my thinking as well. How vague is this quote listed below from the article about how an iPhone owner is extremely likely to upgrade their smart in the next 12 months. It's completely wide open and overly generalized.

"92 percent of iPhone owners that are "somewhat likely" or "extremely likely" to upgrade their smartphone in the next 12 months plan to purchase another iPhone, according to investment banking firm Morgan Stanley."

17. gugy macrumors 68030

Honestly, I have no desire to move away from the iPhone. Even if the competition might have better features. It comes down to the OS and the Mac environment. Until that is disrupted, I have no doubt I will be a loyal customer.

18. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Exactly, for me, Apple is the best doing that, MacBook Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, all those just go perfect together, it's all about complementing each other, no other company does this better than Apple.

Can't wait for the new iPhone 8, I just hope it doesn't go Samsung like with that weird long resolution, looks horrible, all the apps have black bars top and bottom.

19. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Why do I have the feeling that we're in for an iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 letdown?

I mean, 6 years ago, we were all salivating over a much improved iPhone 5, and then we got the 4S.

A year later, we got the 5.

20. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

And how DO you milk sheep, exactly?

Easy. We release an update of the last iPhone every year and give it a sequential number. Yeah?

Fine. Im in. But you promise that 'eco system' wont change either?

Ha ha. No sir. We won't do that. That's the main reason you keep coming back for more.

Is it? Thanks. Yes. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

21. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

I think that was last year tbh lol we were all expecting the 7 to be what we are hearing the 8 will be this year.

22. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

92% loyalty... except on MacRumors. Here it’s 92% hate.

23. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Hardly better. Much slower, for example, with worse battery life and ecosystem. Camera? Maybe better on some kind of photos, but leagues behind in video and zoom capabilities.

The iPhone 8 will make those devices look very dated.

24. Soccertess macrumors 6502a

Tim likes to flaunt this loyalty, and has no problem using it to increases dongle sales because knows people will follow.

Except there is a tipping point. Microsoft experienced that. At some point people got so fed up, they left and haven't returned, until now. Tim is the best thing to happen for Microsoft and Android.

25. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

I hear you lol, But, for all the crap we give apple, they do make some pretty great products (staring at my iPad Pro and iPhone 7 plus):)