Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kedrik

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Michigan
Viruses don't affect other phones, despite other smartphones being open (i.e., developers freely allowed to write applications and distribute them ). There are viruses out there, but the security models of the OSes are good enough. iPhone must have a very very weak security model.

I think Apple's parania says everything: The iPhone is still a beta product that is very weak. It 'just about' works, and thats it.

iPhone is a weak beta product??? Mine works consistently great, which is why I want more applications on it. I've not had problems with my i-phone, so if this is beta, boy am I excited for the final release.:rolleyes:

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Are you nuts or are you a shareholder? This destroys the market for freeware and FLOSS, some developers don't bother charging for every little thing either because it's an extra that they worked on or just do software development on their spare time. Some of the best apps on the planet are also FLOSS such as Adium, Quicksilver, HandBrake, and Goban, granted the only ones on that list that might be used on an iPhone are Adium and Goban, but you get the point, and that's not even mentioning the fact that Apple built their operating system on FLOSS.

What about applications that compete with the default apps that Apple has installed? Will apps be able to use the EDGE radio or are they going to be glued to WiFi while Apple has the advantage with their apps having access to the always on connection (with the exception of the iTunes WiFi Store)? Will it be possible to add 3rd party codecs?

Sebastian

An application can be FLOSS/FOSS and still cost money. The term "free" in those acronyms doesn't mean "doesn't cost money." If a developer doesn't want to charge I am sure they won't have to. I would actually be willing to bet on it. Look at the application links for the mac platform. Some cost money and some don't. I think we can all agree that Apple approval is about the only way to prevent malicious code from ruining the iphone experience.

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
This is all about the *average* user. The one that wants things simple and quality. The one that doesn't want to have to go to 25 different websites to root through alpha quality apps that don't quite do what they want and try various, but different install processes.

By having quality control and a single distribution point, Apple makes it easy to browse for apps, acquire them and install them. They also make sure the apps work.

Right or wrong, people will add in their experience with other random apps when they judge the iPhone.

While it may not make sense for the geek fanboy who posts relentlessly on rumor sites, the bulk of the iPhone's target will be well served by these decisions. As a business, of course they're going to go the route of pleasing the largest number of people.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something here... is the SDK itself going to be impossible to jailbreak?

You are. An SDK is a toolset. A package of documents, samples, details and instructions on how to interface with the phone for developers to utilize.

I think there are HUGE misconceptions on what exactly a SDK is.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Ahh... this is a rumor site you know?

Guys, Although I've found many of the rumors here to be dead on or at least 75% true most of the time, we won't know the real truth until next week when Apple (Steve) lets the cat out of the bag.

Personally, Apple seems to always have a good valid reason for what they do. Be it quality, security or contractual issues. The iPhone is a killer product and I'm sure they want it to stay that way... some control is not going to kill the 3rd party apps. I'm sure we'll be very happy and more will come with time.

You know... Apple causes this sort of reaction by spoiling us. We're so use to getting the "Wow" factor and things we never thought of that when we think we're being shorted we get all upset. But look at how much they have done in the last year - it's amazing when you look at the bog picture and compare that to other companies.

Keep it in perspective and lets see what comes out next week. It should be good.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
Viruses don't affect other phones, despite other smartphones being open (i.e., developers freely allowed to write applications and distribute them ). There are viruses out there, but the security models of the OSes are good enough. iPhone must have a very very weak security model.

I think Apple's parania says everything: The iPhone is still a beta product that is very weak. It 'just about' works, and thats it.

Are you crazy? Or just naive?

Remember Google is your friend:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-virus.htm

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

My dear, I would recommend doing some reading on the topic of mobile viruses.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Wow

If this is true - it looks like Apple is hell bent on killing the iPhone ISV and Accessories market followed by the iPhone itself. I have no doubt in my mind that some incredibly stupid people are running the iPhone show inside of Apple.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
iPhone is a weak beta product??? Mine works consistently great, which is why I want more applications on it. I've not had problems with my i-phone, so if this is beta, boy am I excited for the final release.:rolleyes:

I could not agree more! The other poster obviously does not have an iPhone! :D

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If this is true - it looks like Apple is hell bent on killing the iPhone ISV and Accessories market followed by the iPhone itself. I have no doubt in my mind that some incredibly stupid people are running the iPhone show inside of Apple.

I think Apple is hell bent on maintaining quality on the phone and not letting things that might harm the phone onto it. I also think Apple is hell bent on making access easy for users.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Yeah... I'm sure the iPhone product team is planning it's demise and failure as we speak! UGH! Be real!

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
if the SDK is in fact released as a beta, do you guys think that means no apps available on iTunes until the SDK goes gold in june? or do you think a beta SDK just means limited to simpler functions that have been fully tested, with the final SDK hopefully adding dock & bluetooth support?

i'm sure we'll see a few select apps released next week, but i do wonder if allowing developers to play with the beta, but not actually release apps til june will frustrate developers more than anything else.

I think that you are correct here. I think that the beta will be there to allow for application development to begin. Deployment will likely occur after the SDK is finalized. I would hate to have "official" apps available now, only to be broken by a firmware update that closes/changes/deprecates some of the beta SDK APIs.

Hickman

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
The only criticism is that businesses need to be able to distribute internal applications without putting them on iTunes, either by making a fixed charge each time or by using a special authentication server.

It could also be a problem is the processing time for signing applications is longer than a week, or is expensive (I would hope that for iTunes distributed applications it'll be free), but I doubt that will be the case.
This is a very good point which I hadn't thought about. In my line of work I could consider some very nice applications for the iPhone that I could code up that couldn't be done either as a web app, and definitely could not be released to the public. If all apps for the iPhone have to be vetted through Apple and then released to the public, then this would put a definite cramp on any "in-house" business iPhone apps.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
AT&T does not want consumers calling them when they have problems with an application nor do they want applications on the phone that may expose vulnerabilities in their network.

Or most importantly, applications that will compete with them.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Are you friggin' kidding me?!!

Let me get this straight. I have to dedicate crazy time, money, effort to build software for the iPhone and then it's a crap shoot if Apple will let me get my investment back and not the marketplace?

I guess in economics they call that "barriers of entry". I'd like to add the adjective "needless" in front of that phrase. This alone is going to discourage the kinda fun $5 game from coming out except by the big shots.

Un-friggin-real.

boz0

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
/dev/null
Why? So I can get your free break-my-iPod app on my iPod without Apple knowing? Yeah, people with your attitude will be missed by myself and I'm sure by Apple. :rolleyes:

At least we'll get quality apps, and not deadwood.
Bull****. The only way Apple's doing this is because they don't want 3rd-party developers to distribute software w/o Apple getting its share of the pie.

Besides, you speak as if large software companies and them only were capable of writing quality apps. In real life, they don't do better than their competitors - among which a huge number of high quality open source projects.

At any rate, I don't need Apple to tell me which apps they want me to use, or what I should consider quality. The community's a much better source of information (obviously, I'm referring to actually available software here, not rumors) on that account. Promoting some kind of certification would be much better for the community.

At any rate, if that's Apple's choice - and that's well within their rights - I'll just be disappointed and go the jailbreak way, both of which, I'm sure, will be make the headlines :D

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
banging...head...against...wall...

And who gets screwed here? Everyone together now!

DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS

Attachments

• steve-ballmer.jpg
    steve-ballmer.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 67

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
I think Apple is hell bent on maintaining quality on the phone and not letting things that might harm the phone onto it. I also think Apple is hell bent on making access easy for users.

Fanboi talk. Sorry, none of that is true. If you did not knew there are better ways to maintaining quality and preventing harm. Access easy for user - wha?

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Is this not the same as podcasts? How many podcast content creators rely on the advantage of iTunes distribution? How many customers rely on the seamless updating, syncing, and exchange of that content via iTunes?

No it's not. iTunes is just a podcast directory. Each podcast still handles its own distribution.

I have one question for people that think Apple being the sole gatekeeper is a good thing. Do you install third-party applications on your computer? Does that bother or scare you at all? If so then I can understand why you're happy about this. I'm also sorry for you.

But if you have no problem with third party apps on your computer, why are you afraid of having them on your iPhone/Touch? The only reason there would be any difference between third-party apps on the different platforms would be if the OS security on the iPhone/Touch is bad. Do you think the security of the iPhone/Touch is any weaker than desktop OS X? If so, why not be more worried about that than third-party apps?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Bull****. The only way Apple's doing this is because they don't want 3rd-party developers to distribute software w/o Apple getting its share of the pie.

No, its a security issue. If you prevented non-computer experts from download executable files from any site except Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Download.com and other download sites computers would be a hell of a lot more secure.

No it's not. iTunes is just a podcast directory. Each podcast still handles its own distribution.

That is the same with applications, but if they were signed then developers can't change the application code afterwards.

Forcing downloads to be conducted through one site brings the benefit to developers of increased advertising coverage.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Fanboi talk. Sorry, none of that is true. If you did not knew there are better ways to maintaining quality and preventing harm. Access easy for user - wha?

I would love to hear you ideas for this, as I am obviously incompetent and cannot think of them on my own.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Maybe I'm missing something here... is the SDK itself going to be impossible to jailbreak?
I'm sure it will be possible to jailbreak the SDK at least to some degree. But there is ZERO percent chance to jailbreak Mr. Apple iPhone iTunes Gatekeeper Distributer Dictator. If anyone does know this guy, let me know. Maybe he'll take bribes like all other dictators. :mad:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Do you think the security of the iPhone/Touch is any weaker than desktop OS X? If so, why not be more worried about that than third-party apps?

I think when you add in the cell phone capability and the mobility of the iPhone there are some additional risks. However, if (AND IF... remember this is a rumor site) they mandate software distribution through iTunes, I don't see that as a bad thing. It will provide consistency... also, maybe the thing they are trying to secure is the API to the iPhone so hackers can't get in and mess with things???? Hummmm... maybe that is it??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.