iPhone SDK Downloaded Over 100,000 Times

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced that the recently announced iPhone Software Developement Kit (SDK) has been downloaded over 100,000 times within the first four days of its launch.
    Apple's press release also includes quotes from a number of other software developers announcing their support for iPhone software development. The list of companies include Intuit, Namco Networks, NetSuite, PopCap, Rocket Mobile, Six Apart, and THQ Wireless. Specific software titles listed include Pac-Man, Galaga, Bejeweled, Zuma, Peggle and SuitePhone.

Apple will be launching the first of the 3rd party applications for the iPhone in June alongside their iTunes App Store.

Article Link

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Fascinating video - watched it for the first time last night.

It seems there is already loads of interest in developign for the platform so we should see some great apps come June.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I will be adding myself to the list of people that have downloaded the SDK, as soon as I get around to it - whenever that is :p

That said, this goes to show just how much interest iPhone users and programmers have in 3rd-party applications for the device. I didn't think it would generate that much interest, to be honest.

4. eastcoastsurfer macrumors 6502a

On the surface the SDK is great. I've already gotten a few programs up and running and have a lot of ideas for some interesting software. The problem is that the more times I read the EULA the more I think that most of my ideas won't work for various reasons. Owell, hopefully things will change before the final release.

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think I was about #8,746. heh

I'm no master programmer, but I'm sure I can make some $1.99-$4.99 apps people will buy. :)

6. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

"Specific software titles listed include Pac-Man, Galaga, Bejeweled, Zuma, Peggle and SuitePhone."

WOW.....how can anyone not get excited about crappy games like that. Geez, how many times do you have to play pac-man or galaga or bejeweled (tetris) before you s#$% yourself dumb.

Put out some better games.....don't waste time releasing crap that's been around for eons. :rolleyes:

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How many iPhones have been sold?

I think I remember it being about 4 million so iPhones sold to SDK downloads is 40:1.

That seems pretty crazy to me.

Seems like June will be a very good month for my iPhone.

9. pflau macrumors 6502

The not so good thing though is that there are going to be a lot of competition. The individual developers would have to be really good to go up against the big boys.

10. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

yeah, i'm excited!

11. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

100,000 downloads? How many of those are from the same people asking what an SDK is?

Show me 10,000 applications. That do things. Useful things. Then I'll be excited.

12. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

my macbook pro should be at my door any minute now then I can download mine. This old xserve I have sitting here is a G4 with tiger server so I can't use that :p

13. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

I think you are right in that a lot of people got the SDK and don't really know what writing software involves. Apples press seems to sugar coat it and implies that just about anyone can write software. They made it seem like you just drag components onto the screen and there you go!

But yeah, I'm a programmer by trade and know that a lot of people will be disappointed to realize it isn't that easy. But we'll also see some people become real programmers that get into it because of the iphone, which is cool too!

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

15. Grasbak macrumors 6502

don't forget all the iPod touches out there!

16. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I agree. Great products encourage some people to go beyond their experience/abilities, and create extrordinary things. Lets hope for that to happen here.

17. filmguy15 macrumors member

Very exciting. I can't wait to see the loads of programs people are cooking up!

18. Kobekes macrumors member

remarkable counter from Apple

mmm.... remarkable (and fast) counter from Apple after the 'jailbreak-news'

19. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Third party apps can only be installed through the iTunes store. But what about your own apps? Can they be installed through xCode? If they can, what's stopping someone from installing third party apps via xCode.
    Does or can apple "prevent" the distributing of sourcecode?
    If I can install my own POS apps I write on my own iPhone, then maybe I'll buy one. If not, I am considering going for an openmoko as my next phone.

20. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I haven't had time to download it yet, but will be sometime in the next few days. Just want to play around with it a little and see what I can create.

21. ccunning macrumors member

You can count me as one who downloaded it and doesn't know what the hell they're doing. I've just been using some of the example projects Apple made available to try to teach myself. It's not going well, and all the Objective C resources I've found seem to expect you to already know C :-/

22. wcbarksdale macrumors newbie

Has anyone who signed up last week gotten into the developer program yet? It's been almost a week and I want to play with accelerometers and OpenGL...

23. ChrisA macrumors G4

To install them on your own iPhone you would need to buy the $99 per year
    certificate --- or jail break the phone.

It looks like people who just want to write their own apps would be better off
    with some other phone. Maybe Google's Adroid when/if it comes out on
    a cell phone. Apple seems to be targeting the mainstream user with the
    iPhone

24. ccunning macrumors member

I think you have to pay the $99 developer fee to actually compile for a physical iPhone instead of the virtual device, at which point the code would be signed with your certificate. Which is not to say it's not possible, but would leave out a lot of people not willing to pay $99 just to compile someone else's app for their phone.

Or I could be completely wrong. Please correct me if so.

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

Does anyone really think all 100,000 of those downloads are by software developers? I'd bet that 90% of the downloads were done by clueless end-uses who have no need for, or ability to use an SDK. If I'm right that means 10,000 developers did download the SDK. Even that is a huge number. Maybe it's 98% not 90% 2,000 real developers seems about right