Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Weird... the xcode installer didn't install any of the aspen tools on my comp... i'll try downloading again. maybe its because i'm still on a ppc?

Probably, its more then likely the simulator that makes the SDK Intel only.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
100K downloads looks promising.

However, the proof is in the pudding: how many smaller developers are willing to pay $US99, especially opensource / freeware devs. Many good applications come from these developers.

Larger companies won't have a problem. Lets hope Apple's policy doesn't restrict the gems that come from freeware/ one person devs.

It took me 10 - 20 times of trying to submit my app to get on the list to buy a cert. So, yes I think developers are more then willing to pay $99.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
100K downloads looks promising.

However, the proof is in the pudding: how many smaller developers are willing to pay $US99, especially opensource / freeware devs. Many good applications come from these developers.

Larger companies won't have a problem. Lets hope Apple's policy doesn't restrict the gems that come from freeware/ one person devs.

It takes money to make money. Those PC users need buy a Mac and pay 99 for the cert. Those on PPC need get an Intel Mac and pay the 99. Those with Intel need pay the 99.

Before June, there will be close to 600 applications at 99 each. As businesses wake up to the concept of writing private ones, they will also start joining the ranks.

Most people understand that it takes money to make money, even for a lemonade stand.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
I'm so glad Apple maintain their focus on Objective-C (though most of my code is done in Objective-C++) because the runtime and reflection are so much more elegant and less restrictive than the .NET languages I've used.

C# and Objective C are basically apples to oranges comparisons.

I don't know what you mean by "reflection," since one of the touted benefits of a dynamically typed system is that you can send any message to any object -- you don't need reflection.

Is this what you mean by "less restrictive?" That you don't need to think in terms of interfaces and abstractions? It is these very restrictions that give strongly typed languages their safety and lower maintenance costs...by making it harder to use objects improperly (which 9 times out of 10 is what reflection is used for) and forcing others to obey a method's contracts, you don't have to worry as much about a junior programmer bringing down your application by injecting a bunch of spaghetti into a finely tuned but unrestrictive framework.

As for elegance...IMO, there is equal beauty and simplicity in the best Obj C as there is in the best .NET, just as there is equal beauty (though I argue NOT simplicity) between Visual Studio .NET and Xcode. One's a better RAD/RP tool, the other's a better tool for building exactly what you want and nothing more. I think that it's a lot easier to pick up and go on a .NET platform, which leads to more ****** code, and I think I'm fine with that. Developer elitism isn't a bad thing for software consumers; I like that there are fewer apps for OSX, because many of those are better polished.

filterban

macrumors member
May 5, 2006
First time programmer and I am sooooo pissed with it!!! Well, more of my inability to grasp anything to do with programming whatsoever.

Seriously, I read docs on the dev support site, copy code they say is right into the SDK, then click Build & Go to check it works only for it to say "Undeclared" or some really stupid thing.

Im hopeless :)

Let's be clear here... this is NOT a problem with the SDK. You are biting off way more than you should be to get into programming.

Programming is not difficult. What is difficult is understanding the concepts of computer science and application development.

My suggestion for you is to buy a book on introduction to programming with C. Read the whole thing and try to understand every example.

Then, once you have that, you can move up to Objective-C and Cocoa and iPhone development.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
100,000 is a lot of people. I would not estimate that there are that many developers worldwide who have written in Objective-C. Judging from the activity on various forums and newsgroups, I'd guess a tenth as many.

Apple's dev kit is one of the most impressively documented SDKs I've ever seen...but it doesn't change the fact that this is NOT amateur hour. PHP "developers" need not apply; you're going to need good programming -- not scripting -- skills, a strong understanding of OO -- not procedural -- concepts, and a brain wired for end-to-end quality just to get through the Hello World app, let alone create a workable application. Folks used to copy, modify & paste are going to be discouraged by the dearth of source.

I'll bet most of those downloads were from a) folks looking for clues on how to hack the iPhone b) folks looking to try the simulator, which -- no surprise to anybody who's worked with the Palm/Windows Mobile simulators -- doesn't include any of the native iPhone apps c) folks used to programming in other languages or on other platforms who will find the strangeness of development on this platform compared to other modern strongly typed languages too much to overcome.

There will be more ideas than talent in this space for a while. Which is good news for me -- I expect a lot of contract work in the coming months.

Yeah but even if " only " 1000 are real developers and each of them submits one single app it´s going to be 1000 apps to choose from .

WOW ... i love it .... my ipt has a great future :D

Saludos

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
While I am not interested in developing apps for sale, I am planning on downloading the SDK to play around with it and see what I can do with my previous experience in BASIC and C++. I think some (if not many) people who are downloading the SDK are people like me, who don't have plans to release any apps, but just want to see what they can do with it with their knowledge of other languages.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Weird... the xcode installer didn't install any of the aspen tools on my comp... i'll try downloading again. maybe its because i'm still on a ppc?

Ah! The problem!! The SDK is Intel only mate, no PPC support, as is increasingly apparent (or not) in Apple stuff. No bad thing as the world keeps on a-rollin', but sad still :(

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Let's be clear here... this is NOT a problem with the SDK. You are biting off way more than you should be to get into programming.

Programming is not difficult. What is difficult is understanding the concepts of computer science and application development.

My suggestion for you is to buy a book on introduction to programming with C. Read the whole thing and try to understand every example.

Then, once you have that, you can move up to Objective-C and Cocoa and iPhone development.

Yeah I know it ain't the SDK :rolleyes:

I found a book on C conveniently enough, and I'm going through that. Should've done that first really, as Obj-C is a superset of C, so I should've known lol.

Ah, the 16 year old mind ;)

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Number of downloads has a lot to do with Apple putting it on their home page instead of simply adding it to http://developer.apple.com/.

Maybe they wanted to reach as wide an audience as possible, maybe they wanted to hype some impressive numbers.

That cheeky Apple XD.

Yeah, I've always wondered what's with the front page. I thought at most it'd be a small box on the front page (for old news, but they could have changed that) I guess this may explain it? XD

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
100000 downloads x 2.1GB = 205.078125 terabytes and growing!

That's gotta be one helluva bandwidth bill :eek:

2GB? Mines is 5GB...and i already had developers tools :(. *waits for someone to tell him that there was an option for SDK only (it always happens...:p)*

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
I was trying out some C in Xcode, and in Edit there's an option that says "Convert to Objective-C 2.0"

So i could code something in C and have Xcode make it iPhone/iTouch friendly Obj-C for me????

Would anyone say that's gonna produce some hit and miss results?

Actually I've already ported some of my C networking programs over to the iPhone with very little trouble. From what I've seen so far, the iPhone supports the entire C POSIX library which is a good thing. I've just been using the iPhone project templates and figuring out which callbacks to use and when.

Most of my programming is cross platform in nature, so I've avoided many of the OSX libraries to date. I guess it's time to pick those up so I can at least build some GUIs to the various utilities I've already starting writing. BTW, if you're a dev, the video intros on the iPhone dev site do a good job at explaining the various frameworks.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
I found a book on C conveniently enough, and I'm going through that. Should've done that first really, as Obj-C is a superset of C, so I should've known lol.

This is bad advice.

When you get down to it, learning the ins and outs of C -- compiler directives, pointer management, even the C standard libraries -- won't help you all that much because most of this is streamlined or handled for you by XCode.

Furthermore, C is a procedural language -- Objective C is an object oriented one, and that means it represents a completely different paradigm. This means the right way of doing things in C often isn't the right way to do them in ObjC. As such, learning C first won't get you 50% of the way to learning ObjC, it'll get you maybe 25% of the way there...and then you'll still need to learn Cocoa and the other libraries.

You'd be better suited to check out one of the tutorial videos that Apple released along with the SDK -- they will start you learning the XCode IDE simultaneously with the API and all aspects of the language.

As a reference, may I suggest O'Reilly's "Learning Cocoa with Objective-C"?

And finally, if this is your first software project, your ass is likely to be very well kicked. Don't let this discourage you -- one of my first projects out of college was a media player for the Windows CE operating system, which is nowhere near as well documented or well realized as the iPhone SDK -- just expect to do some good, hard work, and moreover set goals that are valuable to you but also attainable.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Am I the only one who sees so many downloads as BAD.
BRING ON MAC VIRUSES AND TROJANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Yeah, like that huge explosion in virsuses we got after apple started including developer tools in every OS release. (unless you were being sarcastic)

kakiser56

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
PA

The SDK is only for Intel processors not PPC. You can run XCode and develop but not test it. I should try that on my G4 mac mini see if it runs on my intel iMac using the simulator.

I think this is a way to sell more intel macs. :D

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Am I the only one who sees so many downloads as BAD.
BRING ON MAC VIRUSES AND TROJANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

What? Dude, XCode and the various Mac APIs have been free to developers from 10.0 and we haven't seen this. How's the iPhone API, and Apple's decision to only allow vetted developers to release applications that are signed and managed by Apple herself, going to lead to Mac viruses and trojans?

And more importantly, why am I posting on a forum full of such hair-brained suggestions when there's work to be done?

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Some book references...

Programming in Objective-C - Stephen G. Kochan ISBN 0-672-672-32586-1

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X - Aaron Hillegass OSBN 0-321-21314-9

The first is pure Objective-C, while the second has a good intro to the language as well.

100,000 downloads? How many Mac Minis are going to be bought as dev machines? :D

DukeSnyd

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Third party apps can only be installed through the iTunes store. But what about your own apps? Can they be installed through xCode? If they can, what's stopping someone from installing third party apps via xCode.
Does or can apple "prevent" the distributing of sourcecode?
If I can install my own POS apps I write on my own iPhone, then maybe I'll buy one. If not, I am considering going for an openmoko as my next phone.

Is open moko ever going to come out?:confused:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
100,000 downloads, 90% by non-developers and 10% by real developers.

10,000 downloads by developers, 90% because they are curious and 10% because they actually want to develop iPhone applications.

1,000 downloads by serious iPhone developers, 90% by those who aren't properly skilled to use it, 10% by those who are.

100 downloads by serious and skilled iPhone developers, 90% by those who don't have a good application idea, 10% by those who do.

10 downloads by serious and skilled iPhone developers with a good application idea, 90% for applications I'm not interested in, 10% for applications I'm interested in.

I'm looking forward to that one great application!

I also think these estimates are way too low. Watch for hundreds of good applications coming to an iTunes Store near you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.