Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Frankly, if mine is ever lost or broken, I'm just buying another one

Me too - and if they announce they are done with it and the new "India/developing country/low cost phone" is only the old 6/6S stock, I'll go out and buy another SE (maybe 2) ASAP and store them.

I'm out on the large phones. I don't need them, don't want them and don't even enjoy "using them" (shifting around in your hand, trying to figure out a pocket where it fits, etc)

Me too - and if they announce they are done with it and the new "India/developing country/low cost phone" is only the old 6/6S stock, I'll go out and buy another SE (maybe 2) ASAP and store them.

I'm out on the large phones. I don't need them, don't want them and don't even enjoy "using them" (shifting around in your hand, trying to figure out a pocket where it fits, etc)
Exactly as I see it. Tried a 6 when they first came out, thought it was too big for me, went back to my old 4S until the SE came out.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
The data strongly suggests people buy SE because of price.

No, it does not. This is what we call confirmation bias.

You seem to have trouble understanding declarative statements. I started buying Apple stock when I bought the IIe. Money is not an issue.

I prefer a smaller phone. So do others. I don't live my life with my face buried in my smartphone.

As others have said, I'll pay more for smaller. I don't need OLED or facial recognition. I need shirt or back-pocketable one-handed phone I can sit on without bending like I've done with the 5/5S/SE for going on 6 years now.

I think your comment is typical of the "me, me, me" focus, without looking at market trends or adoption data presented above.

Who else should I focus on? Your preferences?
i-LxHHzDX-Ti.gif

We should all want big phones because
i-3wct43F-Ti.gif
market trends?

But please keep on buying as many big iPhones that you can, because your purchases make me money.

Here's what Tim Cook and "the market" said about the iPhone SE's launch quarter:

On iPhone SE, we're thrilled with response. Demand is much beyond what we thought, and that's why we have the constraint.
iPhone SE not included in these results, as it launched after the end of the quarter, but demand has been very strong. Demand exceeds supply, but we're working hard to meet demand.
iPhone SE Estimated to Grab 16% of U.S. iPhone Market in Launch Quarter
Apple Increases iPhone SE Orders Amid Growing Sales Pressures

History tells us an upgraded iPhone SE won't hurt the company's bottom line.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No, it does not. This is what we call confirmation bias.

You seem to have trouble understanding declarative statements. I started buying Apple stock when I bought the IIe. Money is not an issue.

I prefer a smaller phone. So do others. I don't live my life with my face buried in my smartphone.

As others have said, I'll pay more for smaller. I don't need OLED or facial recognition. I need shirt or back-pocketable one-handed phone I can sit on without bending like I've done with the 5/5S/SE for going on 6 years now.

Who else should I focus on? Your preferences?
i-LxHHzDX-Ti.gif

We should all want big phones because
i-3wct43F-Ti.gif
market trends?

But please keep on buying as many big iPhones that you can, because your purchases make me money.

Here's what Tim Cook and "the market" said about the iPhone SE's launch quarter:

History tells us an upgraded iPhone SE won't hurt the company's bottom line.

I agree with everything you are saying, but I think it would be foolish to think price is not the driving factor of SE sales. While you and I and others on these forums buy it for the form factor, I feel pretty confident that a lot of people buy it because of the price or it even being free on certain carriers. That is just in the US. Outside of the US, it sells even more because of the price.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine there is a future for the SE. I think they'll update it with a 6/7/8 design and probably have iPhone 7 internals. Sell for cheaper, use LCD still, keep the home button around a little longer for those who don't want to adapt.

Reactions: asleep

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am open to the idea of getting a new smaller phone to replace my 5S down the road. After iOS 11 critically impacted it’s speed (during beta testing) I dropped it back to 10.3.3 where it will stay until it is corrupt or needs to be erased.

While the SE can run 11 just fine, the existing model is not enough of an upgrade for me to replace the 5s for where it sits in my active collection. As a Sim swapper, I tend to pick my device any given day, depending on mood or what I am going to be doing. Now since the AW3 has cellular and I can get iMessage anytime, my personal SIM is finding itself in Android phones more often than ever before, and the small Android phones (mostly available outside the US) are starting to attact me too.

I know it is going against the grain here, but I would like a thinner device (kind of like the current iPod Touch), with OLED, better cameras with OIS, and I am fine with either TouchID or FaceID since I like both.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
using a SE with much pleasure, I was shocked some days ago by a newsline that apple will present a somewhat reduced "X"-Version 2018...

I hope this will NOT stop the production of the SE-line....

I hope also that they will nevertheless present an "urgraded" SE MkII in the now more or less iconic iphone 5-format let´s say in 1 or 2 years with just the (second-)newest CPU/GPU in it.
Without all the useless gimmicks like face recognition and so on...

BTW: is face recognition a new invitation for robbery? The criminals could easily get the iPhone and then aim at their victims face to unlock before getting away??!

Reactions: ghanwani

uzubairu

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
I love using my SE.
Last month I got the chance to get a cheap 7 or 8 and opted for a brand new 7 (128) for £470.
The 8 (64) would have been £520.

Even with a £169 discount on the 7, I had to take it back for a refund after a few days
Weight, size, battery life were the SE strengths that I had given up.

As I had already sold my SE in that short time of ownership, I just went and bought an SE (128), this time with double the storage of my previous one.

It’s never ever been about price with the SE for me.
There are a lot of people who want small, light, pocketable phones that can comfortably be used with one hand.
I would hope that Apple continues to produce a product that we would like to purchase.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe

Thank you for posting the link. very interesting :)
All the new X hotness is fun and fine, but nothing is more important to me than a small physical size.

Just keep offering me updated modern guts in a timeless small physical size and I'll be happy.

YES! Exactly what I think as well.
If the facts in the above mentioned link about SE2 are correct, I am in. And hoping there is also enough space inside for a max of 256 GB.
My suspicion is that apple´s greed will be a non-appetizer for us.... Although they earn a lot of money with the little form factor (LCD screen costs now about 8-10 USD, the housing near to nothing, the A10 processor and upgarded camera being nearly the only thing more new) they will try to get the least cent out of us.... In this case, I will be resting with my old A9 processor, it works perfectly rapid and battery time is the best ever on my "classic" SE.

just love it... SE is the best in the world of rational thinking Customers: "reduce to the max"

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
they will try to get the least cent out of us

Probably - But honestly they have me where they want me.
I'm all in on basically whatever they do for SE2 with one exception.

If they make it bigger, round the sides and turn it into a slippery bar of soap (like 6 series), I'm out.

Seriously, if they screw up an SE2 ... no words.

I'm really worried that they don't actually think the SE buyers are about the physical size/form factor and think it's more about "low cost" and that they might try to just push that market to the iPhone 6 (rebadged as an SE2) since they likely can make similar margins on that form factor/manufacturing process at this point.

If they do that - They have killed the SE and it would be a sad sad day..

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Possibly there will come a second generation of SE soon:In Germany there are big dealers who sell 32GB SE 33% off and even the 128GB SE 15% off now....

Jg75

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
Probably - But honestly they have me where they want me.
I'm all in on basically whatever they do for SE2 with one exception.

If they make it bigger, round the sides and turn it into a slippery bar of soap (like 6 series), I'm out.

Seriously, if they screw up an SE2 ... no words.

I'm really worried that they don't actually think the SE buyers are about the physical size/form factor and think it's more about "low cost" and that they might try to just push that market to the iPhone 6 (rebadged as an SE2) since they likely can make similar margins on that form factor/manufacturing process at this point.

If they do that - They have killed the SE and it would be a sad sad day..

I agree. Also, what really surprises me, is that none of the android phone manufacturers offer a 4 inch version. And there are dozens of them...
After i bought the 13 inch ipad pro, i really don´t see the benefit of dragging a big brick phone around. It´s just a phone for gods sake.. the ipad pro is the perfect touch pc for home use, and still fairly portable. That device changed my outlook.

Last edited:

Miss_Mac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
Some rumors, but nothing official. I would probably pick one up if the screen is better, it has the headphone jack and the price stays put.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am a HUGE HUGE IPhone SE fan and I will not let it go until Apple completely no longer supports it.

(Edited)

Echoing and paraphrasing what others here have mentioned in so many threads , 11% of sales and services coming from their 4.7” phones is significant enough for Apple to continue this model line even if under a different name.

Yet there is more going on here. Fragmentation! Apple is increasingly becoming like its major competitor with too many hardware variations and its beginning to affect manufacturing costs and synergies. We’ll not see these costs but they are there!

$349 | SE
$449 | 6s
$549 | 6s Plus
$549 | 7
$669 | 7 Plus
$699 | 8
$799 | 8 Plus
$999 | X

One model at 4” display, 3 models at 4.7” with very minimal differences between them. The 4.7” phones have A9/10/11 cpu/gpu/m co processor, storage or colour differences, different metal casings (6: 6000, 7:7000 series aluminum) wireless charging on the 8 with a reinforced glass back. This is devices their selling both in the stores/online and warranty support. It’s ridiculous!!

The 6s why is this thing still being sold when the SE is better in performance and price? The storage doesn’t match and the 7 replaces it. This leaves 2 devices in their lineup that is not IP67 rated.

I think the name SE will be dropped and something else will have its name for the 4” unit. 2017’s release seems to have the X as the “special edition” not only heralding new tech yet also homage to the original X’s shock and awe to the world. Why else would Apple release the 8 with the X in less than 40 days between them?! That’s a whole other conversation covered adnasuem.

First Apple should unify the design schemes between just 3 models.

iPhone X Plus
iPhone X
iPhone X SE (or mini or whatever name suits it and isn’t long in the tooth; say "S” for small)

Touch ID is going, sorry but it’s going and fast. If you must have it I do suggest buying another SE in its current state. Generation 2 of FaceID of course will be faster, most likely Infrared eye tracking to see not only deliberate focus on the phone but maybe retina patterns for unlocking.

All phones will have IP67 or better for Dust/Water resistance, unified design form language, most likely the same if not close to cpu/gpu/m-coprocessor/sensors/antennae making supply chain sourcing simplified and unified, cheaper manufacturing costs for economies of scale, third party cases also unified and cheaper (different sizes). His is just good business common sense.

Manufacturing for the 6S/7/8 can slow to a crawl for warranty replacements. Would be great for Apple to offer closer to grey market pricing for trade in value, along with better for he environment (recycling).

Lastly this is also much better for support documentation, videos and staff down the road.

Right now only Sony makes a powerful, viable (specification and feature set) 4” phone that can compete or now beat the iPhone SE model. As another year passes with no upgrade for existing iPhone SE users it’s other buy another but on the grey market OR like 840Quadra has begun doing its look and migrate elsewhere for the smaller units.

Reactions: Martyimac

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
@DeepIn2U Good thoughts. Nice write up.

For me the SE is all about having a small phone that's reasonably modern.

That's really my only requirement.
If there's a "new SE" that's not the same form factor as right now, fine...so long as it doesn't get bigger (by much).

If it's anywhere close to the physical size of the 4.7" iPhones, they've ruined and they really don't understand the point.

We don't more models/skus in that range (at all!)
I hope they don't screw this up.

It seems like Apple does too much diversifying the lines by age/tech as opposed to tangible large differences like physical size. A current SE buyer generally uses their "phone" very differently than larger screen buyers. I can't speak for all, but I just need a super portable phone/tech checker that plays music and takes good photos and generally is easy to have with me but totally out of the way.

The SE is the best phone I've ever had at meeting these needs to this point.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
One model at 4” display, 3 models at 4.7” with very minimal differences between them. The 4.7” phones have A9/10/11 cpu/gpu/m co processor, storage or colour differences, different metal casings (6: 6000, 7:7000 series aluminum) wireless charging on the 8 with a reinforced glass back.

The 6s why is this thing still being sold when the SE is better in performance and price?
The storage doesn’t match and the 7 replaces it. This leaves 2 devices in their lineup that is not IP67 rated.

The answer is right in front of you but most SE enthusiasts are simply blind to the obvious. Apple’s own actions speak louder than words.

4” form factor is a dying breed.

The 4.7” and larger devices have already replaced 4”.

There’s this endless argument that some people want 4”. There also people out there that want 3.5” phones and 11” MacBooks. That demand is dead or dying.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
That demand is dead or dying.

How do you know that?
Do you have sales numbers by model?

Apple does and they said themselves that they were very surprised by the popularity of the SE.
It could be hard to discern the reasoning exactly. It could be price or size or, of course, likely both.

Size likely plays at least a somewhat relevant role though, as you can get low prices on older, but larger, phones all over the product lineup, and despite all that, the SE definitely has a following.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
How do you know that?
Do you have sales numbers by model?

Apple does and they said themselves that they were very surprised by the popularity of the SE.
It could be hard to discern the reasoning exactly. It could be price or size or, of course, likely both.

Size likely plays at least a somewhat relevant role though, as you can get low prices on older, but larger, phones all over the product lineup, and despite all that, the SE definitely has a following.

Esimated adoption numbers have released by a few sources. They all point to a small userbase for 4” iPhones. The link below shows the 5s userbase being larger than SE, which is indicative of users abandoning 4” or not willing to upgrade (price sensitive customers).

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/06/iphone-x-adoption-localytics/

The last time Apple talked about the popularity of SE was more than 18 months ago in 2016. Consumer preferences change over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.