Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will release a second-generation iPhone SE in the first half of 2018, according to Taiwan's Economic Daily News.

iPhone-SE-four-colors.jpg

The report claims the tentatively named iPhone SE 2 will be assembled exclusively by Taiwanese manufacturer Wistron at its factory in Bengaluru, India, where some assembly of the current iPhone SE occurs.

The rumored release date window lines up with an earlier report from Focus Taiwan claiming a new iPhone SE will ship in the first quarter of 2018, which encompasses January through March of next year.

Apple introduced the current iPhone SE at a media event on March 21, 2016, and the device launched later that month. Given the rumored launch dates, the iPhone SE 2 could certainly be unveiled in March too.

Indian website Tekz24 previously reported that the next-generation iPhone SE will be powered by Apple's A10 Fusion chip, with 2GB of RAM, 32GB and 128GB storage capacities, a 12-megapixel rear camera, a five-megapixel front camera, and a slightly larger 1,700 mAh battery.

Tekz24 isn't a website we're familiar with, and it doesn't have an established track record of reporting on Apple rumors, so don't place too much faith in those tech specs until if and when they are confirmed by other sources.

The current iPhone SE looks much like the iPhone 5s, including its smaller four-inch display preferred by a subset of customers. The device is powered by Apple's A9 chip, like the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, and it has 2GB of RAM, a 12-megapixel rear camera, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and Touch ID.

Apple hasn't fully refreshed the iPhone SE since it launched, but it did double the available storage capacities to 64GB and 128GB in March. It also dropped the device's starting price to $349 a few months ago.

Article Link: iPhone SE 2 Again Rumored to Launch in First Half of 2018

Reactions: Miss_Mac

nitschi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Those specs aren’t that compelling
I think they absolutely are. This would be the perfect successor to my wife's iPhone SE.

Edit: I just hope that they at least reduce the bezels a little bit. I'm not expecting a bezel-less phone like the iPhone X, but a little bit smaller black bars would be welcomed. :)

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Apple will release a second-generation iPhone SE in the first half of 2018, according to China's Economic Daily News.

iPhone-SE-four-colors.jpg

The report claims the tentatively named iPhone SE 2 will be assembled exclusively by Taiwanese manufacturer Wistron at its factory in Bengaluru, India, where some assembly of the current iPhone SE occurs.

The rumored release date window lines up with an earlier report from Focus Taiwan claiming a new iPhone SE will ship in the first quarter of 2018, which encompasses January through March of next year.

Apple introduced the current iPhone SE at a media event on March 21, 2016, and the device launched later that month. Given the rumored launch dates, the iPhone SE 2 could certainly be unveiled in March too.

Indian website Tekz24 previously reported that the next-generation iPhone SE will be powered by Apple's A10 Fusion chip, with 2GB of RAM, 32GB and 128GB storage capacities, a 12-megapixel rear camera, a five-megapixel front camera, and a slightly larger 1,700 mAh battery.

Tekz24 isn't a website we're familiar with, and it doesn't have an established track record of reporting on Apple rumors, so don't place too much faith in those tech specs until if and when they are confirmed by other sources.

The current iPhone SE looks much like the iPhone 5s, including its smaller four-inch display preferred by a subset of customers. The device is powered by Apple's A9 chip, like the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, and it has 2GB of RAM, a 12-megapixel rear camera, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and Touch ID.

Apple hasn't entirely refreshed the iPhone SE since it launched, but it did double the available storage capacities to 64GB and 128GB in March. It also dropped the device's starting price to $349 a few months ago.

Article Link: iPhone SE 2 Again Rumored to Launch in First Half of 2018

I Actually like the 5S form and size even though I am currently enjoying my iphone 7 that I replaced it with. I hope Apple continues the SE for some time. I kind of liked my old “no bells and whistles” 5s and would still be using it if I did not drop it in water...won’t say where I was... . You can probably guess....and people sometimes call it “The John”. . I think I was reading MacRumors at the time...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder if it'll look the same or if they'll switch to looking like a 6/6S/7/8.

It'll be a way of telling people who have a phone that looks like that that they're way behind the times and they need to upgrade to an X or they're lame.

Reactions: H818H

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I’m tired of £1000 phones. If this is the same specs as the 8 with BT 5, Galileo GNSS, optical image stabilisation and the latest LTE/4G standards then I might just get it if the price is reasonable.
Hopefully they’ve waterproofed it too.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
A10 would be silly.
When it came out it got the 6month old A9 from the 6S.

It's been two years of aging, but only get one years worth of cpu update to the A10. Sales will be even more mediocre. Way too little upgrade.
If they sell it $350, then A10...... If sell at $450 with A10, would that really be any surprise from luxury brand Apple? (referring to an article a few months ago calling Apple a luxury brand company, not tech. It's a jab at Apple's new trend of higher priced iphones)

AND, if it's a new design with an A10, $450 doesn't sound unreasonable, especially if it's glass back and waterproof....

... Okay and Wishful thinking... It'll look like those renders that came out in the last week or two (that looks like a mini-X)

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I wonder if it'll look the same or if they'll switch to looking like a 6/6S/7/8.

It'll be a way of telling people who have a phone that looks like that that they're way behind the times and they need to upgrade to an X or they're lame.
Only the shallowest most irrelevant of people think some person's level of "lameness" is in any way factored by what year their pocket phone was designed in.

I guarantee you the owners and users of such handsets, do not care.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Good idea to update the SE but definitely would have been better with A11. Seems like they had overstock of A10 or figured out a way to manufacture it for less, and then decided to update the SE instead of developing a proper road map for the device. Just what it sounds like, might not be true :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.