Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I just want to get a gold star and acclaim for saying that I got my 7 for $350 on a sale on the day they announced the 8/X.

:D

Okay bragging over... sorry 'bout that.

@ArtOfWarfare
So why didn't the 8 owners you know get an X? (If I'm understanding correctly that they care about the image of the having the latest and greatest.)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I just hope they stop trying to kill the SE by limiting the stock. It is still a longer wait for a SE then a iPhone 8 or 7.

Where are you waiting for an SE? We went into a store and had one within minutes. Actually we had two, since they sold us the wrong one at first, and we went back to swap it out for the higher capacity one like we'd asked for.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Interesting, the number 1 feature of this phone would probably have to be price if those are in fact the specs.

That IS the #1 goal of that phone - make a cheaper phone that can complete. There are many HUGE markets where the iphone has a tiny market share because they are unaffordable - they are double, triple the cost of local competitors. The SE program is apple's attempt to get more traction in those markets.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Where are you waiting for an SE? We went into a store and had one within minutes. Actually we had two, since they sold us the wrong one at first, and we went back to swap it out for the higher capacity one like we'd asked for.
Waiting now 2months for a SE from tele2 through work here in sweden. Stock is low through out EU. Crazy!

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Looking forward to SE-2018 version.
Think I’ll have a small upfront payment to make to recycle 2017 SE and pay off 2 yr contract next year.
I’ll prob watch initial costs and consider if I have to run SE for full 2 years before upgrading.
Maybe SE oled/wireless charging.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
2012 - 5
2013 - 5s
2016 - SE

^ 2.5-3.5 years...

2014 - 6
2015 - 6s
2016 - 7
2017 - 8
2018 - SE2

^ 3.5 years based on 6 design or more like the 8 design thanks to glass back.

2017 - X
2018 - X2
2019 - X3
2020 - SE-X?

By that time, the X design will look the same for three consecutive years (2017-2019) and everyone is starting to get sick of it like people who bashed the 7 & 8.

Right now, the X design is the premium one but like the 5 series design before it (which is better looking I might add), it will trickle down to the budget conscious in 2.5 years. So wait until March 2020 for the SE-X.

Apple is extremely predictable thanks to being conservative in design.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
Even if they still update it to "last gen" specs like they did with revision 1, I'm ok with that. I bought the spec-bumped rev. 1 but was disappointed that they didn't update it yet. As long as they keep producing it. I've had enough mediocrity from Apple products in the past two years that if they dropped the SE entirely, or went another year without updating it, I might have to switch to Android for the first time (after using an iPhone for ten years now). Some people don't want a phone that's the size of a tablet.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
This is fantastic news. I am completely happy with my X, but keeping a smaller form-factor phone available with up-to-date-ish specs, at less than half the price, is a really smart move. I personally know a large number of people who bought the SE instead of an Android.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Retro is the new Futurist. It's worked for the last three generations so why not again? "But how can you tell I've got the "newest" phone to impress my gullible 'friends'?" I hear you cry. Easy. Simply affix your receipt to the casing. The inflated price will clearly show your loyalty. You could even have it laminated to ensure it remains readable for years to come. Problem solved!

texasaggie13

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
If they keep the same design, I'll be disappointed. The bezels are huge. But if they keep the same design, please remove the ugly headphone jack and force aux jack neanderthals into post-2014.

As an iPhone X primary user, I guess I don't care too much. But I love the smaller form factor and have an SE I use from time to time.

...This has to be a troll, right? I shouldn't bite? ...ok I'll bite.

What do you actually have against the aux jack besides the fact it's the current trend right now to remove it? It's incredibly small and works with 95% of audio peripherals out there. I want reliable, quality headphones I don't have to charge. If I bought an iPhone X, I wouldn't be able to have that without carrying around a stupid dongle. Please change my opinion, I'd love to not be frustrated every time I see a flagship device without an aux jack.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
At this point assuming the design is the same, this feels more like it would be a cost engineering thing rather than any amazing bump in performance. Likely Apple now has the A10 yields working well and its either cheaper or the same price to move from A9 to A10.

It'll still be the most cost effective iphone, so don't start getting excited about FaceID or bezel-less displays.

Reactions: Donfor39

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wonder if it'll look the same or if they'll switch to looking like a 6/6S/7/8.

It'll be a way of telling people who have a phone that looks like that that they're way behind the times and they need to upgrade to an X or they're lame.
I drive a 1957 Corvette. I guess that means I look like I'm way behind the times and need to upgrade to a Toyota Prius or I'm lame. :D

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
To echo numerous other comments... Yay!

Catch the trend; 3S, 4S, 5, 5S, 6plus, 6S, SE,
(back to old 6S because SE got too slow after iOS11 and 64GB got too small for me; 6S is 128GB. 6S has horrific battery life.) The glass back of 8 looks like plastic. I love the form factor of the SE. My wish list is for better (and if possible, larger) display, and faster operation, the touch/pop that started in with 6S, and... No gimmicky, so-called features.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
But if they keep the same design, please remove the ugly headphone jack and force aux jack neanderthals into post-2014.

Excuse me, pal. I know it might be hard, but try not to be a royal ass.

For what it's worth, devices sans headphone jack are not incontrovertibly technological progress, despite how Apple or other manufacturers might try to sell it. It happens to be a design choice, forced upon many users, and plenty of individuals choose to retain hardware that better serves their own purposes.

"Man," said the Ghost, "if man you be in heart, not adamant, forbear that wicked cant until you have discovered What the surplus is, and Where it is. Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die? It may be, that in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child. Oh God! to hear the Insect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust."
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I personally don't mind staying on this iPhone SEries forever. This line is the only iPhone worth its asking price. No phone is really worth over $400 to me. My thumb can reach all four corners of the screen. The SE line is the MacBook Air of iPhones.

SE2 loses headphone jack but gains...

A10 Fusion
2nd gen Touch ID
Water/dust resistance
Dual front speakers
3D Touch
Wireless & fast charging
Taptic Engine (faux home button)
Front and rear cameras of the 7

Price it under $500 initially and I'm in. I can't reach all four corners of the display from the 4.7" iPhones.

May 2017 leak
iPhone-SE-2-leak.jpg

SE's 1.2 MP front camera was one of its glaring weaknesses. Hoping Apple adds the 7's selfie cam for it. The 7's front cam is superior to the 8 & X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.