iPhone SE 2 Rumors Remain Conflicted Over Design and Release Date

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone SE 2 rumors are running rampant, but there is little consensus about what to expect should the device be real.

[​IMG]

The latest word comes from Japanese blog Mac Otakara, citing Chinese accessory makers who claim production has yet to begin for the second-generation iPhone SE. In fact, Apple is apparently still considering a final design for the device among the several different prototypes it is said to have tested.

The report claims that at least one of those prototypes has an iPhone X-esque design, including a nearly full screen display with no home button and a notch, while other prototypes are believed to have a similar design as the current iPhone SE, except with a glass back, presumably to allow wireless charging.

Ben Geskin recently shared photos of what appears to be iPhone display glass with a shallow cutout resembling the TrueDepth sensor housing on iPhone X, but in a follow-up tweet, he said his "main source" says that the new iPhone SE will have the same design and display as the current model, but with a glass back.

Meanwhile, MacRumors obtained renders from case maker Olixar last week that depicted a new iPhone SE with an iPhone X-esque display, but still with an aluminum, flat-edged frame like the current model and iPhone 5s. Olixar said its renders are based on information obtained from a "reliable source" in China.

The renders suggest the iPhone SE's notch would be approximately half as wide as the one on the iPhone X, likely making it too slim to house facial recognition sensors. One possibility is that the iPhone SE does move to an edge-to-edge design, with a notch, but without any of the Face ID technology.

As we said at the time, however, it's hard to imagine that Apple would include Face ID on the iPhone SE without significantly raising its price, as such a move would likely cannibalize sales of the iPhone X lineup.

And without Touch ID or Face ID, it's unclear how authentication would work on the new iPhone SE. Chinese company Vivo's new X20 Plus UD became the first smartphone with an in-display fingerprint sensor early this year, but Apple seemed to have elected against that approach early on with the iPhone X.

In whatever form it arrives, the accessory makers believe the new iPhone SE is more likely to launch in the third quarter of 2018, suggesting the device could be unveiled alongside a new iPhone X and iPhone X Plus in September. If true, however, Apple has likely already finalized the design of the device.

A handful of earlier reports and regulatory filings had suggested the new iPhone SE could be unveiled in May or at WWDC 2018 in June.

It's unclear how the Chinese accessory makers obtained their information, but they could be confusing one of the prototypes with the rumored 6.1-inch iPhone. That device is expected to have some iPhone X features like Face ID, but lack an OLED display, stainless steel frame, and 3D Touch to achieve a lower price point.

All in all, it's a confusing mess right now. Apple often prototypes several iPhone models, and it could even have some fake versions passing through the supply chain to throw off leakers. But where there's smoke, there's often fire, so specifics aside, it sounds like a new iPhone SE of some kind is in the works.

Apple hasn't truly updated the iPhone SE since it launched in March 2016, beyond doubling its available storage capacities a year later. The device currently starts at $349 in the United States with 32GB of storage.

Article Link: iPhone SE 2 Rumors Remain Conflicted Over Design and Release Date

2. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I expect to have the same general design and a glass back. I'd love to see an X version, just SE sized, but I don't see Apple making such a move. Hey, at least it's getting updated for those that want one. Hopefully an add on to WWDC.

3. Smartass macrumors 65816

I really hope they release "edge-to-edge" SE like we've been hearing in the last couple of days. A phone of that size with that kind of screen is a dream come true. But somehow i have a feeling that Apple will miss the opportunity and just release SE with the same old design and just some incremental updates...

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

It’s certainly reasonable that Apple would be prototype testing a variety of iPhone sizes and designs. And the most successful of these designs may go on to be released, but perhaps as an SE2 or perhaps as another name.. the annual autumn update phones with a new size or something.

So perhaps one of these rumours is in fact intended as an SE update/replacement, or perhaps it’s all part of the general iPhone prototype testing.

I’m hoping a new SE2 is on the way!

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I’ll be shocked if Apple keeps a six-year old design. But they’ve shocked me before in good ways and bad...

7. apolloa macrumors G4

Please Mac Rumors, stop with your opinions on this, oh they could all be confusing the iPhone 6” or is it 6.1” device with the new SE... yeah I’m sure they are all confused and don’t know what they are on about, because you seem to refuse to accept that it could have an iPhone X design...

And then when you claim they all claim Apple hasn’t decided on a final design, you claim they are all wrong!

So all I’ve got from this story is all your sources are confused and wrong??

8. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

At best, the SE2 will have the same design as the current SE with a glass back.

A notched display on a such a small phone doesn't make sense. If it's a phone meant to be produced by Wistron in India, it's not going to be an advanced device.

10. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Perhaps it’s actually two devices. The cheap SE2 being produced in the India factories for release in a couple of months. Furthermore an ‘iPhone XS’ being prototyped in China, with a later release date.

That might explain the conflicting rumours.

11. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

The current iPhone X is basically an iPhone 8 design , which is a 7 design, 6S, 6.

So what’s wrong with having the most beloved 4/5/SE design with nice updates?? It’s the best design they ever did and many echo my opinion. An SE with an edge to edge screen that’s the same size as the 8 screen (roughly 4.7). Would indeed be a dream come true.

Believe it or not there are those of us who want a one handed phone , not an iPad mini in our pockets. For those who don’t have an iPad , the plus phones are amazing. But since an iPad Pro is my main home device I just want the best Apple has to offer with that new tech in a small package.

12. Appleaker macrumors 68020

All I will say is that the leaked parts match a certain rumored 5.2" device. Changing the SE to an X mini would be a desirable move for fans of the form factor but possibly not fans of the price, leaving a space lineup for an SE that meets a lower price point.

13. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

It's obvious that these sources are confusing the "SE2" and the "lower cost LCD iPhone X" (which we should be referring to "iPhone 9" for clarity). Apple is probably testing out multiple versions of both phones.

14. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

I would love to see Apple's list of priorities with the SE2 that's holding them up instead of just using the SE as the model and bringing it forth. I'm willing to bet I'd list my priorities in reverse order. Function/convenience/ports/value first. Thinness/bezelless/faceID dead last. I can't be alone.

15. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

I'd believe Apple is testing some prototypes, but I highly doubt that an SE sized phoned with Face ID is showing up this year. I can see that showing up in a couple years once edge to edge displays & Face ID has had its time in the flagship only pricing category and Apple has something else to differentiate their flagship iPhones with. An update to the current SE with only updated internals is most believable... I even find the glass back version hard to believe since that would involve a full redesign as well, but maybe it wouldn't be that difficult to pull off.

16. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I’m not saying change the size, just that the design is getting old

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I don't really understand how it could have no Face ID but also no home button ..
    How would one unlock it?

18. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Personally I think it’s timeless. Hence the reason the SE is still around. Tons of people love the design of it. Whereas the current design of the 8/X actually feels a little stale. The round edges make it WAY more slippery than the 4/5 design.

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Because that rumor is fake.

A notched thin-bezel LCD means we would have heard leaks from JDI and/or Sharp. We heard strong rumors from JDI about the 6.1" model, but none for the SE2.

At this point, there's nearly a zero chance, the SE2 will be notched or thin-bezel.

20. Kabeyun, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

This is great! Lots of rumors, some conflicting info, all teasing about a product I’m personally really interested in. Reminds me of the heady days of 15+ years ago, before we were spoiled by a steady stream of supply chain leaks and verified sources. Back when MacRumors featured mostly, y’know, rumors. Liking the buzz, eagerly anticipating the smaller phone, and not caring much about a 3-lens camera or FaceID. Got my iPhone 8 eBay listing ready to go.

21. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

Full screen and no face recognition but with a button...this is what I need.

22. DrumApple, May 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2018

DrumApple macrumors 6502a

In other words- we have no ****ing clue about the SE, stay tuned until Apple reveals... thanks

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the majority of these rumors about the iPhone SE are mostly fake and never will be a reality. I think if there is an iPhone SE two, it won’t be completely overhauled and adding some latest technology would be opposite of how Apple intended the SE to begin with. Unless Apple changes its course with the SE, the whole point of the iPhone SE was to make an affordable entry-level iPhone, not including the latest technology to retain a cheaper price point.

The most attractive points about the original iPhone SE was the four inch form factor and affordable price point. If those are Apples goals for the future of this phone, then most of these rumors will never be accurate.

24. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

In all fairness to Tim Cook and Apple, they do seem to have effectively "doubled down" on secrecy when it comes to the iPhone SE2

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A display with a notch but no FaceID sensors. Sure, that makes sense.