iPhone SE 2 Rumors Remain Conflicted Over Design and Release Date

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2018.

1. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

That assumes there was an SE2 project to begin with.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It may not have anything to do with doubling down at all on-secrecy for this specific iPhone, because the iPhone SE 2 may _never_ even exist to begin with. Most of these rumors are renders, fan made art and random guesses of the SE adopting technology from the iPhone X, which I don’t believe to be accurate.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I don't care about the display, the notch, the face ID. Just please keep the headphone jack. I want to continue to listen to music.

4. currentinterest macrumors 6502

An A10 powered SE 2 with a glass back, and better cameras is the safest bet. This does not necessarily preclude a future smaller X design, but unlikely in June.

5. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

If the rumors are true and it will lack face id but have a edge to edge display. It then likely won't have any biometric login capabilities. This may be the ideal phone for business users and government officials.

6. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

7. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

8. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

Perhaps we might see two devices in this form factor? An incrementally updated version of the current SE with a glass back and spec bump, as well as a higher end device with the full screen display and FaceID so that there remains a 'cheaper' model.

9. manu chao, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

manu chao macrumors 603

None of these are 'MacRumors sources', they are things other people have published. And given the wide range of specifications published, confusion and/or error is one reasonable explanation.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2018 ---
    The current iPhone X notch is about 35 mm wide. The whole display of the iPhone SE is only 50 mm wide. Having only a 7.5 mm wide area on both sides of the notch (which might be additionally impinged by rounded corners) is pretty small. On a 50 mm-wide display, just having a full-width top bezel might a better decision if FaceID is to be brought to the SE-class iPhone.

10. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

I'm hoping for a face id version of course but it won't happen this year. Maybe next version of the SE (two years?) when iPhone 7 and 8 are gone as models. If there's a market for it then...

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

Maybe Apple will come to its senses and realize that there's a decent demand for an iPhone the size of the SE, but with the newest features iPhones have to offer (i.e. iPhone X), and that's what they're going to produce.

I loved my 5S and my SE, but not because of the old tech (headphone jack excepted), but because of the size. I'd much prefer this year's tech in that size than 2016's tech in that size.

12. apolloa, May 14, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

So your entire assumption is based on the fact we haven’t had leaks from 2 certain sources, after Apple told people they will be arrested and charged for any leaks, yeah that makes sense?

Everyone is enforcing their personal opinions as facts simply because they refuse to believe the leaks and rumours we do have!

I’ll go by what the leaks and rumours say, much more reliable.

13. Relentless Power, May 14, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They Won’t. It would counter against Apple’s views and beliefs that the 3.5 mm Jack is not antiquated technology. It Would be a poor reflection if they were To retain 3.5 mm Jack on one iPhone and yet the other iPhone models no longer include it. Apple Would want consistency across their iPhone lineup in terms of why they would no longer support the 3.5 Jack.

Also, as further evidence from quoted from Phil Schiller.

You’ve got to do it at some point,” Schiller added. “Sooner or later the headphone jack is going away. There are just too many reasons aligned against it sticking around any longer.”

Now that seems more logical to me that if the iPhone SE was updated, it would likely adopt the A10 fusion processor, perhaps a glass back for wireless charging, an updated resolution and camera upgrades.

14. apolloa macrumors G4

No rumour has claimed no Face ID on the notch design, it is purely and only an opinion and assumption Mac Rumors and some of its members have made, their isn’t a source of a leak for the claim. Only leaks that we will or won’t get an iPhone X design.

15. darcyf macrumors 6502

darcyf

Starting to think Apple is seeding phoney components throughout the company in a targeted way to catch leakers.

16. apolloa macrumors G4

So your suggesting Mac Rumors has just copied everyone else then? Well yes, but they have then gone and made opinions on it all which people seem to be reading as facts. Even you have claimed they are confused. I don’t think it’s confusion at all, just different sources being told different things. But we’ve had multiple ones about an iPhone X design, as well as a normal design, so it’s a bit early to proclaim them all as ‘confused’ with another rumoured iPhone design entirely!

17. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

If a new SE does appear, I think it will just be the same design plus wireless charging (outside of a chip bump, newer camera). Relatively cheap and easy addition to make to give it a new feature to keep people interested.

18. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

I don’t care what it ends up looking like as long as it comes with a better front facing camera.

19. Digger148 macrumors regular

Digger148

The biggest appeal, for myself, of the SE is being able to reach all 4 corners of the display without "shuffling" the phone in my hand and not the overall size of the device. If the display goes larger I will just purchase an iPhone 8 instead.

So, will this be an iPhone 8 with shrunken bezels? Just give me the current SE design with a better front facing camera, upgraded internals and colors.

20. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Notch or no notch, I don't care. Just keep the headphone jack and the small device size, and I'll buy it.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2018 ---
    They kept it on the MacBook Pro.

21. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

"iPhone SE 2 rumors are running rampant, but there is little consensus about what to expect should the device be real." MR

Is this really a news item? :rolleyes:

22. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Right, The MacBook is more of a stationary device and still the 3.5 mm Jack would be more logical to use for wired headphone users versus Bluetooth. The iPhone is way more portable and Bluetooth has the convenience with the freedom of not having wires attached.

Apple Views that the 3.5 Jack in the iPhone is antiquated, takes up unnecessary space for camera/processor for expansion and improvements. And of course the AirPods were a gateway for them to introduce them at the time they announced the 3.5 Being deleted.

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I would think it would have a decent niche if it has the headphone jack and Touch ID still.

There are people who still want these things.

25. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Getting old? It was old when it was first released! lol.gif That was the big complaint about the SE when it was first released. Some complained that because the SE looked like the "old" 5S that if they were to buy the SE, people would think it was an old 5S rather than a brand new phone.