iPhone SE 2 Rumors Remain Conflicted Over Design and Release Date

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2018.

1. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I initially said it’s 6 years old, meaning with the 2012 iPhone 5.

2. BrooksA macrumors member

If that was the offering there would be no reason to upgrade from the current SE though and that's over two years old already. Same body larger screen would get my money

3. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Yes, it is 6 yrs old now, but it was already 4 years old when it was first released. That's downright ANCIENT by smartphone standards. Clearly Apple (and anyone who bought the SE) wasn't concerned with an antiquated design. At some point the age of the design becomes irrelevant. Will Apple change the design of the SE 2? Possibly, but it won't be because the design is old.

4. cecil444 macrumors member

cecil444

I get that *all*the*time*. People will say “wow, do you never upgrade?!” Someone even offered me their old iPhone 6 (!). I always politely correct them, show them the SE logo and then explain that I actually “upgraded” to this from the 6, that the SE is a 6S in a smaller form factor, and that the pocketable size and one-handed usability is more important to me than the very latest features. It’s amusing to hear reactions from people who assume you’re clinging to five-year old technology, yet I’m always surprised how many people have never heard of the iPhone SE.

5. cppguy macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't it make any sense? It makes a lot more sense than on a big phone. A small phone needs a big screen that fills the entire device even more.

6. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

So you have to use a different set of headphones for your MacBook Pro and your iPhone. If the Bluetooth ones were the replacement, there'd be no need on the MBP. Also, BT headphones as we know them have been around since the early 2000s and never got adopted until Apple forced people to use them very recently.

7. apolloa macrumors G4

Haha, yeah, cannot have iPhone X design, does not compute, does not compute, must be wrong, they are confused, does not compute.....

So we have tons of rumours, but Mac Rumors doesn’t know what to expect? Now that does not compute!

8. cecil444 macrumors member

cecil444

Personally I didn’t see the SE design as “antiquated”, I see it as “classic”. I upgraded from the 4S to the 6 and hated the size and griped about the slippery design. The improved speed and screen quality were all pluses, but the loss of a smaller device that fit comfortably in one hand (without a case) and fit comfortably in any pocket was sorely missed. When the SE was announced I rejoiced and jumped at the chance to buy. And why not? The SE is a 6S in a smaller package, with only a few minor compromises. Apple also did make slight updates to the iPhone 5 design to bring it inline with the 6S design, so it is not exactly like the 5/5S, even if it appears that way to most people.

9. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

It's old, but it's objectively the best design. I agree, they probably don't want to change it, also because they only want the flagship ones to have the exciting new designs.

10. SparkOnShore macrumors member

You like carrying around a bunch of crap cables tangling and getting caught in the way, your only problem is then the crap dongle which length is something like 3 or 4 cm!!! How funny all you cable lovers really are!! Get over it and forget the 100 years old tech!! World is moving on!! Buy the perfect AirPods or BeatsX and enjoy wireless music!!...

11. fairuz, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

The problem is it gets lost. I also don't get how people tangle their cables because that never happens to me. Bluetooth sucks because it costs a lot*, degrades quality, and is always a headache to pair. There's a reason people "pass the aux." Even if they fixed those problems, having to charge headphones separately is a greater inconvenience than anything relating to wired headphones.

* DAC, wireless, and batteries in every headset instead of the phone just doing it

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would dump my X for that in a second. I just don't see it happening though. The SE is a big seller because of the price. I know a lot of us like it for the form factor, but it is a massive budget phone in other markets. The SE getting the "X" treatment would completely change that.

13. trddddr macrumors newbie

It seems to me that the SE strategy is to update it less frequently, but launch it with the latest ‘guts’, so if holds up longer. I’m betting on the notch on the New iPhone SX, which will start st about $650, and a revamped SE2, starting at $350.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I feel like there is a zero percent chance they do anything to cannibalize the sales of the "X". Isn't the rumor they won't even sell the current X when the new version comes out so they do no eat into sales by selling a discounted X.

15. actcyclist macrumors 6502

actcyclist

The iPhone "8" aka 6sss is now a 4 year old design with a slight change to a glass back, which btw increased the weight from 129g on the 6 to 148g on the iPhone 6sss and made the back fragile and costly to repair).

16. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

The 8 is the most pointless iPhone upgrade that's come out. My friend was choosing between that and a 7 and said "wtf why would I buy the 8."
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2018 ---
    Perfectly matches what the less money-spending consumers want. It's not just money but time. Why would I bother buying a new phone every year? It's not like they're getting much better in meaningful ways anymore.

17. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Clearly we need two models. An iPhone SE, to cater for those who love the 5/SE form factor. And then we need an iPhone SE-X, for those who prefer something larger.

18. manu chao macrumors 603

I don't know why anybody would read them as facts. It's perfectly clear that they are MacRumors interpretations of these different reports.
    That assumes that at every level of one person relaying something to another person, nothing gets changed or added. And that publications that have multiple sources make guesses as what could reconcile all or at least most of what they hear from their sources.
    I was raising the possibility of a lot of them being confused because that question was asked in the post I was replying to. Yes, it is one possibility among many.

19. SparkOnShore macrumors member

Oh come on!! Do you think we are all idiots here?? Just say that you cannot afford new headphones and get over with it!! Everything can get lost if you don’t get your head together!! All cables get tangled, one way or another!! Please!! We have been using headphones for a life time...Again, to whom do you think you speak?? To 7 years old kids?? Please!! Apple’s Bluetooth implementation through Apple Music DOES NOT degrade quality at all!! Not in the least!! And yes it’s expensive because it’s high quality, cable free, and since you have no money just do not buy it!! Instead of writing here, just go out and get some more decent job!! Apple Bluetooth headphones pair in 1 sec!! Where is the pain in that?? Why pain to charge headphones? Don’t you charge your phone? Your shaving machine? Your laptop? What’s the problem to plug for 30 minutes for 10 hours+ of music??

Please move on, open your mind and find some more cash if you love tech!! With iPhone SE and cable iems you will always stay behind...

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re Missing the point. With the iPhone, you have more of the portability factor, so you have those who want to opt for Bluetooth without having the wire if that’s what they want to choose as a preference.

I’m indicating that the MacBook is more of a stationary device, where wired headphones likely are more preferred in some cases.

That’s not true at all. Apple doesn’t “force” anyone to purchase their proprietary AirPods. You have an option. Otherwise you can use the included adapter if you want to out of the box, even though it’s not the most preferred option for those who have wired earphones, it’s still an option nonetheless.

21. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Yes, I charge my laptop and my phone. It's only two things to charge. I don't want to also have to charge every single pair of phones I'll ever use. And who says I'm only ever pairing Bluetooth with my headphones? There are speakers and cars, and it's so painful every time that it's really not worth.

BTW, I have plenty of money, and I don't love gadgets. Take your insults to a lower quality forum.

22. amt2002 macrumors regular

23. SparkOnShore macrumors member

If you don’t love tech then what exactly are you doing in this forum??? Expressing opinion also about quality of Bluetooth?? How do you know if you are not into tech??? Have you ever done any blind test comparison?? Again, PLEASE!!! You all having opinions on everything without knowing a ***t about anything!!

Since you don’t love tech, please join some knitting fashion forum!! You will like it more there...

24. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

They don't technically force you to buy them, just like they don't force you to buy a phone without a headphone jack, but they make the alternatives pretty darn bad.

25. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

To those buyers like myself that want a 4-5" top of the line flagship iPhone, the time is near to that happening and at least filling Steve Jobs vision. Price should be around the $1,200-$1,500 U.S. dollars.