Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have no interest in wireless charging. I can continue a call while charging if the phone is attached to a cable, but I cannot if it is laid on a charging pad. And the convenience of not having to attach the cable is so minimal that I would rather avoid the extra cost and having one more thing that could go wrong.

Is this something true with iPhone 8 & X that you cannot make/accept calls while on wireless charging?! Seems like a horrible engineering oversight but maybe safety for charging.

This is a good move for market share, but possibly not for the brand as a whole.

This is a great move for market share and the brand. Mid-range at good lower price point means users that cannot afford the top end model just yet will have something great that works in their lives needs and wallet limits now ... and soon aspire to go up the chain. Why is it so many people think a lower end product can hurt the brand of a high-end luxury product?

I like the SE. I want to get the SE but my 5s just keeps going and going and I have a difficult time getting rid of stuff that still works. The only thing the 5s can't do that I want is Apple Pay. Don't care about 3d touch or face ID. And I like my headphone jack.

If they announce the new SE without a headphone jack I will immediately order the current SE.

You might as well pick up a 128GB iPhone SE just now and sell the 5S while it still may have a bit of value left. The current SE may already be out of production and supplies as we've all seen before begin to diminish very quickly before the new model is announced.

When the SE came out they used the A9, the newest chip available at the time, yet strangely all predictions for the SE 2 are with an A10 instead of an A11. Let's hope they are wrong.

Does the SE really need the A11, let alone the A10?
Graphics processing power is not needed to drive a 4" screen with lower resolution as the SE stands.
Mobile low power processor could be implemented as it's beneficial.
Unless iOS really begins to be demanding or planned to be before iOS 12/13 then it should be good.

So an iPhone SE with a glass back, I'm trying to visualize that...

9OEKnMH.png

Still amongst the very best designed iPhones ever. Collectors edition ;)

Reactions: rafark and scir 91

scir 91

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
Brooklyn, NY.
love holding the se in one hand and operating with one hand. so easy to use, fits easily in most pockets, and does a great job (good enough anyway) with video and pics. i did use the x and of course the screen is far superior and brighter but the camera is not dslr quality. far from it. pics are pixelated with heavy noise even during the day when looked at 100%. anyway, would love to see an iphone se x, oh yeah but it will never happen. data shows se does not sell as much as the other sizes, even with its lower entry point. the majority of the market does not like small size phones. majority meaning 51% or higher.

zeesix

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Sadly, it looks like they're going full budget phone for this. I'm also in the camp that would pay premium $ for a "mini" flagship phone. It probably takes too much innovation to fit the flagship technology into a smaller form factor, so everyone is taking the easy route and going big. Didn't they attempt to go the budget route with the 5C and that didn't turn out too well?

Reactions: d4rkn1ght

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
SE is the best looking iphone because iphone 5 was the last iphone SJ worked on. And sadly it is regarded as 'budget' because they're trying to sell us an ugly notch phone with poo emoji .... Whatever apple...

And what's up with all the wireless charging craze ? How hard is it plug a cable ? Don't you still have to leave it on the table ?? It isn't like you can walk around the house and use the device and it charges 'wirelessly'

Am I the only thinks it's useless gimmick ?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I like face id. I hated on my old iPhones that I would hit the home button just to see time, a notification, or what's playing and it would unlock (and yes raise to wake has unlimited some of that but when I'm in bed it sometimes doesn't work and I have to hit the button). Face id lets me see the lock screen without opening to the home screen which is nice I don't mind the extra step to open the phone. Once I pay off my current phone and update I would prefer to have it have face id.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
I've loved the iPhone 5 size and form factor ever since I first saw the announcement for it. If they released a premium phone in this size and form factor, I don't care if it has a notch or not, I'd just have to get one.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
The notch on a SE makes no sense to me on a device that has only a 4 inch display to begin with. So we are left with 3.5 useable screen or there about.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Looks like this form factor is here to stay. It's too small for my hands. The 8 feels just right.

This is why OEMs need to offer a choice in size.

My mum is only willing to use phones which are around the size of the iPhone SE, said phone being the only model I could find at the time which wasn't a low end budget phone with poor spec/support.

Had they not offered the iPhone SE, they never would have gained my mum as a customer.

Reactions: bmot and tripmusic

phoni

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
SE is the best looking iphone because iphone 5 was the last iphone SJ worked on. And sadly it is regarded as 'budget' because they're trying to sell us an ugly notch phone with poo emoji .... Whatever apple...

And what's up with all the wireless charging craze ? How hard is it plug a cable ? Don't you still have to leave it on the table ?? It isn't like you can walk around the house and use the device and it charges 'wirelessly'

Am I the only thinks it's useless gimmick ?

No, you are not the only one who thinks it a useless gimmick.

The term "wireless charging" is a misnomer, placing a device on a contact charging surface is technically referred to as "inductive" charging. If it were true wireless charging, then a device with a wireless charging receiver could be charged within a specified distance to the charging transmitter without the need to contact a charging surface, hence, "wireless" charging. (see Nikola Tesla)

Reactions: Martyimac

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
This might be one to watch. I went for an 8+ because I wanted a fast processor but if the SE can match that it might be my next iPhone.
[doublepost=1517054312][/doublepost]
No please, no notch, just no.
You and me both.... and those who liked your comment! Can't stand the notch. Makes the X hideous!

Reactions: otternonsense

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
When SE was introduced, one of the biggest factors that the guy said on stage was some people love smaller phones. Somehow, womehwere in the past 2 years, the Love of Small phones got warped into "Budget inexpensive iPhone". No, I have an SE because I love small phones, not because of budget. Give me a Premium 4", Apple.

Pure marketing bs. The SE was made to compete in poor countries.
[doublepost=1517055621][/doublepost]
No, you are not the only one who thinks it a useless gimmick.

The term "wireless charging" is a misnomer, placing a device on a contact charging surface is technically referred to as "inductive" charging. If it were true wireless charging, then a device with a wireless charging receiver could be charged within a specified distance to the charging transmitter without the need to contact a charging surface, hence, "wireless" charging. (see Nikola Tesla)

The term is correct. Wire-less means no cables. the phone requires no cable to be plugged into it for it to charge. hence Wireless.

Reactions: bmot

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Does the SE really need the A11, let alone the A10?
Graphics processing power is not needed to drive a 4" screen with lower resolution as the SE stands.
Mobile low power processor could be implemented as it's beneficial.
Unless iOS really begins to be demanding or planned to be before iOS 12/13 then it should be good.

I really really want the SE to have an A11 chip simply because of the low power features. However, I still think that we're getting an A10.

As you say, with the smaller screen size it's hard to see why you'd need an A11.

A10 still does have good low power features, too. I also think that we'll see other iPhone 7 components form part of this devices too (camera etc.).

Another reason is given that the current entry level iPad sports an A9 processor, it's realistic to think that this year's update will give it an A10 - i.e. so the A10 becomes the entry level iDevice processor.

Given that the HomePod as an A8 I suspect that the Apple TV may keep this too (and receive another price cut) and have this as their processor for 'single' function devices.

I don't think that AVR will be considered a key feature set for an entry level phone, so that's another reason not to put the A11 in this phone.

Given that AVR is the next big thing, I think that we can see this growing into one of the features that's going to drive the 'latest and greatest' iPhone models.

One other bonus prediction - with the launch of the SE I think that we'll see the 6 series phones finally removed from the iPhone line up.

At the moment, the pricing around the 6s,7 & 8 is confusing enough with loads of options around the $400-$700 price range.

I suspect we'll see the 7's storage option removed to just one tier at 32GB with a minor price adjustment - a tactic that Apple usually uses to push people to the next model up (which will have more storage tiers).

Finally - I'm still nervous about that rumoured glass back. I really wish Apple would make at least one durable phone...

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
After all these comments and wants, etc., I still come back to the fact that for me, the SE today is still the phone I like the best. I would by an SE TODAY with it's current internals and be perfectly happy with the phone. Luckily, I do have that phone and still like it and use it.

Reactions: StoneyG

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
I was tempted and bought iPhone X but returned it couple days later and went back to iPhone Se (good i didn't get rid of it) as it is much more comfortable and user friendly with easy one handed operation. the X version didn't have anything special that made a big difference just some touches and finger swinging which made my finger tired plus it was too long with annoying notch extending on top screen and off course a must two hand use; very inconvenient for me. camera was same as SE I couldn't tell a difference (off course I have to have a real camera for decent pictures which phone cannot do except simple moments under good light but thats another topic)
I like the home button as it instantly signs on when my finger touches it unlike face id which was annoying and i kept it unsigned which made it annoying as it was asking me to enter id password all the time. crap. Make

Make SE 2 with speed improvements, keep same shape and home button, cut some upper bezel off (up to 1cm if can and possibly 2-4 mm from bottom) to increase screen size to 11 cm (from 10,2 cm) or even 12.
[doublepost=1517081501][/doublepost]to add that glass on X phone felt nasty slippery and produced instant marks from fingers was horrible so I hope no glass for SE 2 plz in case you want to use without cover
[doublepost=1517081738][/doublepost]
Around the introduction of iPhone 6, Apple started getting real stupid. It introduced a protruding camera, awful antenna lines, this was followed after by a confusing list of device names and complete disregard for smaller devices.

Apple should get back to simplicity. Release three models TOGETHER - small, regular, large, in three options, good, better, best. Done.

This is how it should go:

giphy.gif
no! release all same quality in 3 sizes not good, better, best BUT best, best ,, best in 3 sizes and can also have 3 sizes in SE version with straight edges as many of us do not like rounded slippery edges
[doublepost=1517081976][/doublepost]
yeah you guys must be younger than me and can see much better. Believe me, as time goes by, you will not want a screen THAT small
I do not want a brick in hand or pocket no matter how easy is to see; plus I uses smallest font on se and see perfectly. you can increase size on small screen if can't see or use glasses

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
If it's exactly the same form factor but they add TouchID 2, better cameras, upgraded CPU/GPU and the back is glass for wireless charging (if they must) I'd be perfectly happy.

I want pressure sensitivity, too.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I want an iPhone SE X!!
View attachment 748597
Not a NOTCH. Nooooooooooo!
[doublepost=1517092942][/doublepost]
Just a quick question for those that are begging for more Touch ID. Have you even tried Face ID yet?
Cool, but not good enough. Btw, why we cannot have a backup authenticate solution but relies on one? Is that the chosen one? Or is there anything special for.... whatever.

zorki1c

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2018
———
I am a premium consumer in general for Apple products. For example I bought all three Apple watches as they’ve appeared on the market. However the number one factor for cellular phone is size. Ever since the iPhone 6 these phones have often too large to use in one hand. I would pay a premium price for something the size of the SE. for some reason phone consumers won’t pay a lot of money unless it’s a big physical brick. Why can’t Apple make something small and beautiful again?

Don't you guys get it? Not everyone is willing to spend $800 - $1000 for a phone The SE was for folks who want the convenience of IOS on a budget. They don't want or need all the latest wiz bang technology.

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
i want iPhone SE X.

Haha, that naming would be great and I guess some fellow users don't find is so funny.

On a more serious note, that design scenario is highly unlikely mainly because it's a device targeted at a specific price-point (why they kept the 5s shell in the first case, to save costs on manufacturing).

I would be perfectly happy if they keep the actual form-factor, headphone jack and finish. A11 and Touch ID 2 are vital additions as well as an improved battery. Also, the 8's camera would be awesome, along with some water resistance.

Spending money on a new case design and screen will only defeat the SE's purpose, as a mid-range smartphone and entry-level iPhone.

As far as I know, many people buy SE's for their price, not size.
[doublepost=1517158672][/doublepost]
———
I am a premium consumer in general for Apple products. For example I bought all three Apple watches as they’ve appeared on the market. However the number one factor for cellular phone is size. Ever since the iPhone 6 these phones have often too large to use in one hand. I would pay a premium price for something the size of the SE. for some reason phone consumers won’t pay a lot of money unless it’s a big physical brick. Why can’t Apple make something small and beautiful again?

Aren't we all, right?

You get a pretty decent sized phone with top specs, it's called the X. Or you could try the 8, a little bit smaller with a more accessible screen in one-handed usage scenarios. Or is there something that the 8 plus does and the X does not?

I am not really following your argument on this one, sorry.

The current SE is small and beautiful, but reading your comment you come off a bit pretentious. Is it to cheap for your taste?

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Some people erroneously think that we (the ones that like small factor) buy SE because of price or some kind of target price point audience etc etc; its all nonsense we like the form factor and small design not because it is cheaper; I bought X and returned it 2 days later because for me SE was way better than X when combining factors that matter to me. I think they do that to make them feel that they can afford more expensive phone or what? Just because it is mor expensive does not make it better for many of us.
[doublepost=1517184229][/doublepost]
Haha, that naming would be great and I guess some fellow users don't find is so funny.

On a more serious note, that design scenario is highly unlikely mainly because it's a device targeted at a specific price-point (why they kept the 5s shell in the first case, to save costs on manufacturing).

I would be perfectly happy if they keep the actual form-factor, headphone jack and finish. A11 and Touch ID 2 are vital additions as well as an improved battery. Also, the 8's camera would be awesome, along with some water resistance.

Spending money on a new case design and screen will only defeat the SE's purpose, as a mid-range smartphone and entry-level iPhone.

As far as I know, many people buy SE's for their price, not size.
[doublepost=1517158672][/doublepost]

Aren't we all, right?

You get a pretty decent sized phone with top specs, it's called the X. Or you could try the 8, a little bit smaller with a more accessible screen in one-handed usage scenarios. Or is there something that the 8 plus does and the X does not?

I am not really following your argument on this one, sorry.

The current SE is small and beautiful, but reading your comment you come off a bit pretentious. Is it to cheap for your taste?
Absolutely wrong; MOST people buy SE for the size not price. X has nothing special it was annoyingly slippery and becomes greasy immediately as soon as you touch it; then constant finger swinging and ugly notch from top and off course it is almost like a brick super annoying to have in pocket

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
<snip>
Absolutely wrong; MOST people buy SE for the size not price. X has nothing special it was annoyingly slippery and becomes greasy immediately as soon as you touch it; then constant finger swinging and ugly notch from top and off course it is almost like a brick super annoying to have in pocket
There’s no evidence that most people buy the SE because of size and not price.

Reactions: qawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.