Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's third-generation iPhone SE will feature an iPhone XR-like design with Touch ID and be the company's last iPhone with an LCD display, according to Chinese site MyDrivers.

iphone-se-3-feature.jpg

A machine translation of the report explains that the design of the third-generation iPhone SE is based on the iPhone XR, and will feature a Touch ID fingerprint scanner built into the side button, as well as an LCD display, the A15 Bionic chip, and 5G connectivity. The report noted that the device is expected to be Apple's final iPhone with an LCD display, with future iPhones moving to OLED or other, more advanced display technologies.

MyDrivers acknowledged that this assertion stands in contrast to other recent claims that the third-generation iPhone SE would continue with the design of the current, second-generation model, but was insistent that it is correct. The iPhone SE currently shares the same design as the now-discontinued iPhone 8, with a Touch ID scanner built into the Home Button.

Rumors around the design of the next iPhone SE have been muddled, with rumors from reliable sources such as Ming-Chi Kuo and Ross Young initially saying that the device would feature a 6.1-inch display like the iPhone XR, but with a Touch ID side button. This year, Kuo and Young withdrew these expectations, saying that the third-generation iPhone SE would instead have the same design as the current model with a Home Button.

Some of the confusion around the iPhone SE may be explained by the 6.1-inch model potentially being the fourth-generation iPhone SE. Young now expects a fourth-generation iPhone SE to launch in 2023, featuring a 6.1-inch display and a hole-punch front-facing camera.

MyDrivers said that the third-generation iPhone SE will reportedly launch in the spring of 2022, and start with 64GB of storage and the same $399 starting price of the current model.

MyDrivers has a mixed track record. Although the site erroneously suggested that the iPhone 7 Plus would actually be called the "iPhone Pro" and the fourth-generation iPad Air would launch in March 2021, it correctly predicted that the iPhone 7 would be available with up to 256GB of storage, that third-generation iPad Pro would contain a 7nm chip with eight cores, and that the fourth-generation iPad Air would feature a larger display, the A14 Bionic chip, a Smart Connector with Magic Keyboard support, a USB-C port, and stereo speakers.

Article Link: iPhone SE 3 Rumored to Feature iPhone XR Design With Touch ID and Be Apple's Last LCD Smartphone

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If it has the same design as the XR/11, no way I am getting this phone. Way too big for my hands. I will have to give the 13 mini a try (despite Face ID not working with masks), and if I don’t like the experience, get the SE 2020 while it’s still on sale.
If you like small phones, the 13 mini is literally the perfect phone, as it finally gives a mini phone with good battery life with flagship specs. The 2020 SE is just not a good phone (battery life) other than the launch price.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I wonder if this will be an upgrade from the iPhone 11 even without Face ID.

But either way thankfully they’re planning an LCD device without PWM.
IMO It will, as it should have the A15. Apple will need to discontinue the 11, or it will be an odd duck (4G phone but more expensive). It will be the original SE all over again, having a better hardware than the more expensive iPhone 6.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I have my doubts about this one happening. Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see Apple make something like this. And LCD worked fine for me and perhaps they are easier to source these days than OLED's. And TouchID on the button makes sense.

Just don't see this one coming down the pike anytime soon though. Hope I am wrong.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The S10e was awesome. Too bad Samsung didn’t make much of it (it was out of stock fairly quickly in my country), with Samsung pushing people to buy the S10+.
The S10e is a very good phone. I really enjoy mine. Decent size (any bigger and I am not interested) and great display. This phone does not bother my eyes at all while my new iPhone 13 mini does. I may have to get rid of the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.